Author Topic: Skirt Steak Tacos  (Read 1230 times)

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
Skirt Steak Tacos
« Reply #-1 on: February 27, 2018, 02:54:12 PM »
I've got a confession to make. I have never grilled or cooked skirt steak...until this weekend. And now...I am hooked! Using some very simple marinade, (Italian salad dressing). This cut grills up quickly (about 5-6 minutes per side). When sliced against the grain, the finished meat is very tender and delicious. One suggestion I would make is to use a Jacquard knife to tenderize the meat. I went over each side of the skirt cross-wise in two directions to more fully tenderize the meat before grilling. It might be interesting to reverse sear the steak, something I will try the next time we cook it.

This week, we head South of the border to enjoy Carne Asada/Fajita Tacos with a twist. Carme Asada is basically grilled beef, which is then used placed in a tortilla with a variety of condiments and vegetables. Fajitas use the same cut of beef, with the addition of onions and bell peppers wrapped in a tortilla.
Carne Aasda/Fajita Tacos
Serves: 4-6

Ingredients:
2-3 lbs. skirt steak, peeled
1 16 oz. bottle Italian salad dressing
1 medium white onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced
1 Avocado sliced
4 TBSP. MAK Chipotle Rub
Sour cream
Salsa or Pico de Gallo
Preparation:
Rinse and towel dry the skirt steak. Carefully peel away the membrane from both the front and back of the steak. (Use a technique similar to peeling ribs). The membrane MUST be completely removed before proceeding.
Use a Jacquard  knife to pierce both sides of the meat. You will want to go over the meat cross-wise with the knife. This will help to further tenderize the meat.
In a gallon sized resealable bag, add the skirt steak (we folded ours in half) and add the entire contents of the salad dressing. Seal the bag and allow meat to marinate for one to three hours. After marinating, remove from the bag and allow the dressing to drain off the meat. Keep meat wet.
Apply a uniform thickness of MAK Chipotle Rub to both sides of the steak. Set aside.
Slice onions and bell peppers. When the steak is cooking on the MAK, In a skillet, add 2 TBSP. cooking oil. Over high heat, saute the vegetables.

Cooking:
Start your MAK and adjust temperature to GRILL or HIGH. Allow grill to come to temperature.
Lay skirt steak flat on the cooking grates and cook for approximately five to six minutes, then flip over and repeat for the second side.  Once grilled, remove and allow to cool slightly.  Slice steak AGAINST the grain to get the most tender slices approximately ΒΌ inch thickness.

Add to tortillas with sauted onions and bell pepper, add avocado slice and enjoy some fine tasting tacos.

Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline rwalters

Skirt Steak Tacos
« on: February 27, 2018, 03:43:56 PM »
Those look fantastic! Nicely done :)  We too love skirt steak, especially in tacos.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline UWFSAE

Re: Skirt Steak Tacos
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 03:59:44 PM »
Living in an area where good fajitas can be found in abundance, I've never had the urge to grill skirt steak either ... I may need to rethink.  Nice cook!
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline Pappymn

Skirt Steak Tacos
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 06:13:09 PM »
Skirt steak is delicious but expensive here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 07:18:26 PM »
Nice, Bruce!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 08:00:17 PM »
Lookin good!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 08:32:16 PM »
Very nice!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:05:52 PM »
When I can't find skirt steak, I will go into a latino meat market called a carniceria and order  Des Millo.  I believe it is what they call a skirt steak in espanol.

I tell ya what, I am gonna try your recipe. Sounds killer.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline akjeff

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 11:43:23 PM »
Looks great Bruce!  :thumbup:

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 11:46:40 AM »
Thanks everyone for the compliments. I paid $6.71/lb. for the 13# package of skirt steak., which I purchased through a restaurant supply company. We broke down the package and have 3 bags of skirt steak in our freezer now, which we can use for tacos, burritos, even stir-fry wouldnt be bad after tenderizing the meat.
I think the next go-round, I may grill each side of the steak(s) for another minute or so, or maybe add some sweetness to the marinade to get some char crust on the meat.

The flavor of the meat was really good. My wife and I keep saying, "Why'd we wait this long to cook this cut of meat?" LOL!
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee