Author Topic: Char-Griller Side Fire Box  (Read 7447 times)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
Char-Griller Side Fire Box
« Reply #-1 on: May 07, 2018, 06:34:57 AM »
My brother has a Char-Griller Duel Fuel grill. He wants to get a stand alone smoker whenever he makes up his mind and has the funds. So I impulsively bought the Side Fire Box online to be delivered to him to hold him over until he can afford his own.

Does anyone have any experience with this smoker setup? It was only 57 bucks on Walmart so I don't expect great craftsmanship, but will it produce for him?
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Char-Griller Side Fire Box
« on: May 07, 2018, 09:21:01 AM »
It will produce - but it will require some learning curve to tweak it and get it working like he wants.  And - I think there are some members here that have made some modifications to theirs - and improved the overall satisfaction with the cooker. Hopefully you will get some input on this that is meaningful, soon.

I would like to see us be able to accumulate such data and save it as a sticky - for others that may be looking for such.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 10:01:30 AM »
Is he gonna burn sticks or go with charcoal. Due to the thin metal, I would also get him a charcoal basket. Smokermods on line has accessories for cheap offsets that make them better.

Get him a charcoal basket and have him burn lump and wood chunks. I think he will be happy with that fire-box.

expect the paint to burn off quickly. Just have him spray the outside of the firebox with cooking oil and don't even bother repainting.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pileofwood

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:32:02 PM »
The paint will pop due to the heat, the thin metal will let a lot of heat escape, so expect to be feeding the fire quite a bit. But it will produce great food. The learning curve is a bit steep.
"Wanna know how good a BBQ restaurant is? Take a look at the size of their woodpile."-- Big Bob Gibson

Pit barrel Cooker
Weber Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill 22"
Weber Kettle with Kettle Pizza Oven
Humphrey's Battle Box