Author Topic: Is it just me??  (Read 1547 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Is it just me??
« Reply #-1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:19:57 AM »
Since last January Kimmie and I have been on the low carb eating plan and have had our share of BACON :thumbup:

But I have noticed something in the past 8 weeks since I have been grounded with ankle surgery.

We have bought bacon from Wally Word to Target to Publix and so on.   No mater the brand (other than Wright's) I have notice the pack will state 1 lb  but when I pull the strips to cook I get very uneven thickness and count.  What I mean it I could have a pack that says 1 lb and all the strips (13 lets say) are perfect in size but the next pack I may have 14 slices yet all the slices are or seem thicker cut & like wise I have had bacon with 11 slices yet 2 or 3 of them are very thin and the rest is thick cut but no thicker than normal. 

Seems to me whomever is making bacon for "non brand names" seem to dump bacon in a pack without regard to truthfulness in packaging.   Just today I opened a pack that had 15 slices that were as good if not better than Wright's and that's saying something but I would bet money next pack will be thinner cut and less strips

Tee knows a little about I'm sure I bet he can tell me why           
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Is it just me??
« on: February 15, 2018, 09:30:56 AM »
Buying bacon is kinda like buying a lotto ticket.  My favorite bacon is Hoffy. Best darn flavor. However, the slices are a nightmare to pull apart.

Good luck with HEB brand bacon. The thick slice is always 10 to a pack and regular slice is 14. So far HEB seems very consistent.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 10:30:50 AM »
I think that pat of the pricing structure of the premium brands is the more consistent slice thickness. I know...it seems pretty low that we have to pay "extra" for evenly cut pieces, but that is the world of free market economics. Allows us to choose what is more important to us - balanced against how much we want to spend.

YOU should make your own bacon Tommy ;) ;D...You can do it, and once you get started, you will find that NO store brand can compete...for flavor, or on cost - or the slice uniformity - if you are using a slicer, or just want to slice by hand.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 10:55:40 AM »
I think the weight varies with the fat to meat ratio though. If so, it might explain the differences in each package since it is sold by the pound and not the slice. 

I think Tim is right, You should make your own.   Your certainly capable and you can control the smoke profiles. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 01:25:26 PM »
I agree about making your own, but I also like what I get from Zaycon Foods.

I buy it by the case of 12 and all packages have 14 to 16 thick slices. This is real comparable to Wright's bacon and we use to
buy Wright's all the time.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 03:33:03 PM »

I buy it by the case of 12 and all packages have 14 to 16 thick slices. This is real comparable to Wright's bacon and we use to

Tommy I have not noticed  that but i will look after lent ??? ??? ???   but what i was going to ask is where did all the pork go in bacon no matter what brand I buy it is 95% fat...now Mike here has a good package that I can't find in CT.

Tee may be right (did I say that ;D ;D ;D) I may need to start making my own.....someday :D :D :D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RAD

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 05:51:29 PM »

I have seen what Tommy is talking about all the time. In the same package I will get thick slices along with paper thin slices.

Mike, I am signing up and they are asking if someone refereed me and if so that want the referral code. Not sure if you will get a discount or anything but if you referee me send me the code and I will enter it. Let us know what you get
Love to cook and eat

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 06:06:04 PM »

I have seen what Tommy is talking about all the time. In the same package I will get thick slices along with paper thin slices.

Mike, I am signing up and they are asking if someone refereed me and if so that want the referral code. Not sure if you will get a discount or anything but if you referee me send me the code and I will enter it. Let us know what you get

Likewise!!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 08:56:10 PM »

Here is the referral code: ZF334653. Each referral gives me a $5.00 credit towards my next purchase. Thanks!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 08:56:41 PM »

Likewise!!

Here is the referral code: ZF334653. Each referral gives me a $5.00 credit towards my next purchase. Thanks!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »
I'm gonna go to Smokin Don's meat guy at Kah's meats and get me a pork belly..gonna make pepper bacon with lots of peppers. Love some pepper bacon.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Pappymn

Is it just me??
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 04:38:13 PM »

X2 on Zaycon bacon. Buy 36 pounds at a time. Just a hair over 3 bucks a pound. Great quality

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 12:19:56 PM »

Tommy I have not noticed  that but i will look after lent ??? ??? ???   but what i was going to ask is where did all the pork go in bacon no matter what brand I buy it is 95% fat...now Mike here has a good package that I can't find in CT.

Tee may be right (did I say that ;D ;D ;D) I may need to start making my own.....someday :D :D :D

I've noticed the same thing.  Sometimes I have to go through a dozen or more packaged in order to find some that have a decent amount of meat/fat ratio.  That would be my concern with buying bacon sight unseen.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 01:02:11 PM »

I've noticed the same thing.  Sometimes I have to go through a dozen or more packaged in order to find some that have a decent amount of meat/fat ratio.  That would be my concern with buying bacon sight unseen.

BD

::)
We may be facing a bacon crisis .They took the pork out of Washington but left us the fat 8) 8) 8)
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill