Author Topic: Cold Weather and MAK 2 Stars  (Read 2800 times)

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
Cold Weather and MAK 2 Stars
« Reply #-1 on: February 15, 2018, 02:51:28 PM »
We often are asked how our grills perform in very cold weather. Here is an unsoclicted testimonial from one of our grill owners in Montana.

"Dennis: First, thank you for your excellent customer service, much appreciated. 
As I mentioned in our phone conversation, it was chilly here in Montana recently and I decided to see how fast the 2 Star would come up to full temperature- air temperature minus 7 degrees
- no wind.
I had been messing around with the controller so the internal box temperature was about 32 degrees when I began the test.  From that starting point it took the unit 41 minutes to hit 450 degrees.  Had the grill been setting cold for a couple of hours before this test, the starting temperature would have been lower, and it may have taken a few more minutes to peak out.
For sure, the 2 Star General gets really HOT and performs well in cold climates!"
Regards, Bob Julian,Montana

Add to this, the fact that we have grill owners in Alaska who use their MAKs in MINUS 23 and MINUS 43 degree weather without any issues, along with grill owners in most snow belt states, who use their grills all year long. You have a pretty strong case for owning a MAK!

Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Cold Weather and MAK 2 Stars
« on: February 15, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »
We use our MAK grill in really cold weather (sometimes sub zero) quite often. No issues!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 06:08:52 PM »
20° here sometimes and no problem.  Just tell your mak what you want and it does it. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 07:53:22 PM »
I've used my MAK in all types of weather, most recently when it was cold and snowy.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline rwalters

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 08:41:45 PM »
Same here...it fires up every time and quickly comes up to temp. I’ve never had the wait 41 mins to hit 450°. I’d say the longest I’ve seen it take is 25 mins, usually closer to 20 depending on ambient temp.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline akjeff

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:28:31 PM »
No problem in cold weather here either. Coldest I've used ours so far is -3F. Worked like always. As I type this, there's a batch of beef short ribs in the 2 Star, and it's 20F and snowing like a son of a gun!.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:44:29 PM by akjeff »
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline rwalters

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 12:08:18 AM »
No problem in cold weather here either. Coldest I've used ours so far is -3F. Worked like always. As I type this, there's a batch of beef short ribs in the 2 Star, and it's 20F and snowing like a son of a gun!.

Jeff
I love it, the ceramic kamado which is known to be a top notch cold weather cooker sits idle while the MAK does his thing. Great testimony to the ruggedness of the MAK :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 08:44:28 AM »
Every type of cooker brings something different to the party. ( But MAK brings the party).... :D :D :D :D

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 04:28:59 PM »
Every type of cooker brings something different to the party. ( But MAK brings the party).... :D :D :D :D
Goosebumps...that’s deep ;)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 04:48:52 PM »

Tim really knows how to dig deep don't he??   :) 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 05:01:39 PM »

Tim really knows how to dig deep don't he??   :)
...it’s almost scary!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 05:32:10 PM »
Deep?....I can stand waist deep in any mud puddle I suppose.... ;) :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline akjeff

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 08:53:00 PM »

Jeff
I love it, the ceramic kamado which is known to be a top notch cold weather cooker sits idle while the MAK does his thing. Great testimony to the ruggedness of the MAK :)

The Primo has pretty much been put on searing, and blistering hot pizza oven duty. Absolutely nothing like it, when it comes to making forge like heat for a quick steak sear. It really shines with finishing sous vide steaks. No flies on the 2 Star's searing ability, but realistically, it's never going to get as hot as charcoal running full tilt. If I could only own one or the other, I'd choose the MAK without question. Since I have the luxury of both, I'll enjoy the best of both worlds.

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline rwalters

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 12:19:26 AM »

Jeff

The Primo has pretty much been put on searing, and blistering hot pizza oven duty. Absolutely nothing like it, when it comes to making forge like heat for a quick steak sear. It really shines with finishing sous vide steaks. No flies on the 2 Star's searing ability, but realistically, it's never going to get as hot as charcoal running full tilt. If I could only own one or the other, I'd choose the MAK without question. Since I have the luxury of both, I'll enjoy the best of both worlds.

Jeff
I hear ya! The biggest reason I have a Weber kettle w/ Slow n Sear sitting next to my MAK... it’s hard to beat a screaming hot lump charcoal sear.

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 10:57:13 AM »

Jeff

Jeff
I hear ya! The biggest reason I have a Weber kettle w/ Slow n Sear sitting next to my MAK... it’s hard to beat a screaming hot lump charcoal sear.

If I didn't own the Cook-Air, which creates ridiculous sears, I would use a Weber for searing.  Not the kettle, the chimney.  Load it up, let it jet flame, and put a grate on top.  Meathead calls this the Afterburner Method.
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer