Author Topic: lump vs briquettes  (Read 2031 times)

Offline jeffncris

lump vs briquettes
« Reply #-1 on: February 16, 2018, 01:21:50 PM »
Hi guys,
   where I live (Portugal) lump is MUCH cheaper than briquettes. Any of you guys use lump, and if so, how exactly? I'd love to get some tips so I can save a few bucks! Thanks in advance!

jeffncris

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: lump vs briquettes
« on: February 16, 2018, 03:01:50 PM »
  Lump burns a little hotter but no big deal.  The best way is to use some a few times. cook some simple things at first and move into the longer cooks.  You will get the feel for it and you might even like it better . I know I do....
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 02:35:40 PM »
Great advice from Tig4942.

Offline phoccer

• Random bits of info
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 06:00:11 PM »
Since it runs hotter, do you adjust your intake setting down to accommodate? So if KBB runs great with the vent set at 1/4 do you adjust the vent to 1/8 to run lump?
Weber Premium 22 w/ a Slow N Sear Plus
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 08:41:39 AM »
Since it runs hotter, do you adjust your intake setting down to accommodate? So if KBB runs great with the vent set at 1/4 do you adjust the vent to 1/8 to run lump?

It depends on how temperature sensitive you believe what you are cooking really is. I can see that some folks really want keep the temps lower, for longer periods of time...with very thick portions of meat  so as to get the interior of the meat up to temperature, while not over-cooking the outside. (think about boston butts, briskets, and they like...)

Do you have a digital - remote thermostat that you can leave the probe in place, and measure temperature changes while you run the pit? If not I HIGHLY recommend that you get one. It will help you know for a certainty what temperature changes your adjustments int he vent will yield - in real time.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 09:02:13 AM »
For me it is lump for steaks & regular for almost everything else.  My wife gives me a lump when I spend too much ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline phoccer

• Random bits of info
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 04:07:52 PM »
Do you have a digital - remote thermostat that you can leave the probe in place, and measure temperature changes while you run the pit?
Yep, I have a Maverick 732 I use on all cooks. I've had my PBC for about a year and have the vent set to 1/8 here at 900'. Originally I tried 1/4 but my PBC was running in the 325+ range so I adjusted. I just figured that's the setting I needed here. It's now occurring to me that it's because I use Kingsford Pro, which I've read runs hotter than Kingsford Original, is the reason I needed to close the vent to get my PBC to run in the 275-300 range. Still getting my mind around how the PBC operates. I'm used to a Weber Kettle where I can adjust the intake and exhaust to hit temps. Discovering getting the PBC to run the desired temp range is about having the vent set properly and the initial lighting done correctly.
Weber Premium 22 w/ a Slow N Sear Plus
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Pileofwood

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:25:56 PM »
I do use both. I would say that lump does give the food a bit more flavor. But yes, like tlg4942 said play around with it a bit till you get it dialed in just right!
"Wanna know how good a BBQ restaurant is? Take a look at the size of their woodpile."-- Big Bob Gibson

Pit barrel Cooker
Weber Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill 22"
Weber Kettle with Kettle Pizza Oven
Humphrey's Battle Box