Author Topic: 2017 MAK 1 Star General #1273 - Reporting for Duty - Review & Testing!  (Read 22060 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
2017 MAK 1 Star General #1273 - Reporting for Duty - Review & Testing!
« Reply #-1 on: April 14, 2017, 06:55:44 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread, we got the new MAK 1 Star General with some of the options: Full Upper Rack, 2017 FlameZone (including the blank grease tray insert), the new style MAK Griddle and Searing grates.

Please note: This will be an ongoing review done in stages, so be sure to stay tuned for updates as I test features & add-ons!

First Impressions
First things first, here's the new 1 Star all assembled and looking way too shiny!  ;)

Some of the features for the 2017 1 Star General include:
  • Bigger cook area: (22” Wide x 19.5” Deep x 14” High).  Grill Surface area = 429 sq. inches (doubles to 858 sq. in. using full upper rack)
  • FlashFire Ignitor - now standard on all MAK grills.
  • New sturdier casters (they are nice!)
  • Pellet Dump Chute - for easy changing of pellets.
  • Black powder coat finish - to make future touch-up easier.
  • Will accept the new 2017 FlameZone kit, and new style Griddle & Searing Grates.

* Overall Build quality - Weighing in at 160 lbs, to say this thing is built like a tank is an understatement! There are no corners cut whatsoever on this grill! They even include a complete set of American Made Alan wrenches for assembly!

* New Black Powder Coat Finish - I think this was a smart move by MAK. This black powder coat finish should not only be easier to touch up (should the finish on your MAK get scratched) but easier to maintain. As much as I liked the Silver Vein color scheme of the previous model, no matter how clean you attempted to keep it, it was easily stained from grease & smoke.

* Changing Pellets via the Pellet Dump Chute - Even though changing pellets on the previous model was NOT a big deal, I have to admit this is a truly nice feature!

Here you can see The thumbscrew for the Dump Chute is easy to locate on the underside of the hopper towards the front. 

Just place a pellet container underneath, release the thumbscrew and pull the chute insert out.

Empty the pellets, replace the insert, and you're ready for a new pellet flavor!

Test #1 - Hot-Smoking

OK the first test is to see how the new MAK 1 Star does as a hot-smoker (Smoke Mode - temp range = 170° - 190°). What could be better for this test than a couple slabs of fresh homemade bacon?

More details: An Experiment - Low Carb Cider Mill Bacon

First a couple hours of cold-smoke.

Then a 7-hour ride in "Smoke Mode" using a 50/50 mix of Apple/Oak, until an I.T of 150° was reached. The color and smell was exactly what I've come to expect from a MAK; phenomenal!

Results - The MAK 1 Star as a Hot-Smoker:  √ PASS! 
*The smoke flavor was excellent!  Anyone who says you can't get a deep smoke flavor from a pellet smoker needs to taste this!

Test #2 - Low & Slow BBQ

For the second test let's see how the 1 Star handles some pulled pork, using the standard drip pan.

For this test I used a half pork butt with 1/4 cup of my brown sugar rub. It was cooked on smoke mode for about 45 minutes, then bumped up to 245° for 3 hours, then foiled with a little vinegar until done.  This same test will be repeated with the other half of the butt using the FlameZone & covers.

The bark had great even cooking and coloring all around. The shredded pork was very moist and flavorful with a nice, but not heavy, smoke profile like I expected with a pork shoulder*. 

Results - The MAK 1 Star for Low & Slow BBQ:  √ PASS! 

*Ribs, which have a much larger surface area to meat ratio, will have a more pronounced smoke profile.

For further testing/reviewing, see this thread:  2017 MAK FlameZone, Searing Grate & Griddle - Detailed Review!

Cliff
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:41:10 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Cliff,
Great write up!!  I really like the 1 Star.  If I didn't already have the 2 Star, I'd be thinking long and hard about the 1 Star.

Besides, you had me at the Cider Mill Bacon..makes my mouth water just thinking about it!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 07:57:09 PM »
I think that baby will take away sales from the 2 Star. They are the same size now right?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rwalters

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 08:22:29 PM »
Nice work, Cliff! Still want to call and chat all things MAK w/ you. Maybe next week will be a bit quieter around my neck of the woods ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline tomcrete1

Excellent Cliff! Love your new  MAK!  :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline cgriller64

Wow! Impressive grill for sure. Great preliminary review. Thanks for sharing.  :thumbup:

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
I think that baby will take away sales from the 2 Star. They are the same size now right?

Yes, the cook chambers are now the same size.  The 2 Star has a 304 stainless steel cook chamber, has the FlameZone already built in, and has the cold-smoke chamber.

In fact a couple of people asked why I went with the 1 Star since I added on the FlameZone.  The main reason was the 1 Star is easier to transport, which I need to do a couple times per year.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Great review Cliff!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Looking good. Keep the results coming  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
Makes me wanna buy one.
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
Breville Smart Oven Air Convection Toaster Oven
John OHIO

Offline Minglett22

TenthunteR, do you think the cooking tray called  "The Oyster Bed" Le Grande model being 22 1/4" long will fit on the MAK 1? It's .25 inches longer than they say the cooking grid is on the MAK 1. Have you seen or used The Oyster Bed?