Author Topic: Another hello for the PNW! And a couple of questions.  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Wellfooled

Another hello for the PNW! And a couple of questions.
« Reply #-1 on: November 07, 2017, 09:30:35 PM »
Live in Issaquah, WA, just east of Seattle, and really appreciate finding this forum. Just about this far (1/2" or so) from buying a GMG Jim Bowie, but before I do, I would like your help with a couple of concerns. We live in a town house, sharing a common wall with one other person, and across a small street from a several story tall condo. Our patio isn't exceptionally large, but more than enough room for the smoker. But, here are the concerns I'm hoping you folks can help me with (particularly anyone with a GMG grill).  They are:

1. Amount of noise from fan/auger, etc. - Some of the videos I've watched for smoker grills makes me wonder how loud the things are. I certainly plan to run my smoker at night, probably all night, and I don't want to get letters from irritated neighbors.
2. Amount of smoke - same issues.

Don't misunderstand. We don't have sensitive neighbors, but too much would be too much. And yes, I can always invite them to enjoy the fruits of my labors, but OMG, not every time!

Thanks for any help

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Another hello for the PNW! And a couple of questions.
« on: November 07, 2017, 10:19:33 PM »
Welcome!
Perhaps some...."city folks" can help you...I am enough of a curmudgeon that I am not allowed to live THAT close to other humans..... :D :D :D

Seriously - if you have an air conditioner - the fan noise form the loudest pellet grill does not compare to a condenser fan on an A.C. unit

And...most folks comment that they wish their pellet grills produced MORE smoke...not less. SO - you do have an interesting dilemma..... :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 05:21:50 AM »
Welcome from Wisconsin!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 06:34:44 AM »
Welcome from SE Georgia!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 06:48:03 AM »
Greetings from North Texas.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Roget

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 07:30:41 AM »
Welcome from Indiana.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 08:08:52 AM »
Welcome from Central Texas.

Don't worry about the fan noise. Your main blast of smoke will be during start up. After that you will be fine.

Now if you are only cooking for 2-4 the GMG DAniel Boone has plenty of room and if you add the second rack you will have plenty of real estate. The Bowie is on big boy........just sayin...........

Oh, whatever GMG you get, please get a downdraft hood for them. I have had them installed on both and they really stabilize your temps across the cooking grate and they also help the heat and smoke travel along your food before it exits the pit.

http://dongodkesdowndraft.com/
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:17:15 AM »
As to noise, pellet cookers are noisiest when they are in the portion of the cycle they do after the controller dumps a new batch of pellets and they are all catching fire before being allowed to smolder a little later (producing smoke).  My loudest cooker make a muted roaring noise at this time and my quietest one can hardly be heard unless you bend down and listen closely.  The J.B. is "average" in the noise category.  I can't see it keeping anyone awake, however.

As to smoke production, that's cyclical too.  Most smoke gets produced in the cycle just after the one I described above.  So, smoke comes and goes.  Some cookers also produce a LOT of smoke when first started up and getting a "bed" of working burning pellets going.  It will be noticeable by neighbors but will not be constant.  The best news is it always smells good! 

Observation:  As a society we are all offended by everything, all the time.  Touchy rules the day.  Tolerance is wheels up in the ditch.  If you have touchy, easy to offend neighbors, you're screwed even with a K-Mart gasser on low. 

Suggestion:  Very early in the game, cook up a rack of ribs and give them to the neighbor before the neighbor has a chance to become offended or maybe even notice that you've developed an obnoxious hobby.  Unless your neighbor is a vegan you'll have the problem solved  ;D

I have a neighbor about ten feet away from my outdoor kitchen and he's never complained.  He and his wife sure do like a chunk of brisket every now the then, though.

Happy Cookin' . . .

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 12:19:19 PM »
Welcome from Alabama!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »
Welcome from N. Ontario Canada.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »
Welcome from the PNW.  I don't think noise from the fan will be an issue for you. I also live in the Seattle area and know that AC units are few and far between but that they are WAY louder than the fan on a pellet grill.  My pellet pooper is on my deck not far from our bedroom window and I can hardly hear it run - certainly not enough to keep me awake.

The issue might be the smoke.  I have some close neighbors but the only complaint I get is that I don't ALWAYS share. As you and others have stated - feed the "beasts" and all just might be right and just in the world.  Looking forward to seeing your cooks.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 08:51:49 PM »
Welcome from all of here in middle Georgia...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with that smoker.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Wellfooled

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 01:40:30 AM »
Thank you all, both for the welcomes and for the advice. I think the "feed the beasts" idea is really a very good one, and will absolutely employ it.

Will give more thought to the size of the grill, and try and ignore my tendency to "go big". And will certainly install a downdraft.

More to follow for sure.

Offline Wellfooled

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 01:41:59 AM »
Welcome from Central Texas.

Don't worry about the fan noise. Your main blast of smoke will be during start up. After that you will be fine.

Now if you are only cooking for 2-4 the GMG DAniel Boone has plenty of room and if you add the second rack you will have plenty of real estate. The Bowie is on big boy........just sayin...........

Oh, whatever GMG you get, please get a downdraft hood for them. I have had them installed on both and they really stabilize your temps across the cooking grate and they also help the heat and smoke travel along your food before it exits the pit.

http://dongodkesdowndraft.com/

Will definitely do this, thank you.

Offline Pappymn

Another hello for the PNW! And a couple of questions.
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 08:36:52 PM »
Welcome from Minnesota

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109