Author Topic: In Need of Thanksgiving Turkey Advice  (Read 1525 times)

Offline nukeofficer

• Grillin & Chillin
In Need of Thanksgiving Turkey Advice
« Reply #-1 on: November 18, 2017, 03:17:04 PM »
I have a 13 lb frozen turkey that I want to cook on my Pit Boss pellet grill. Any tips and tricks, times and temps would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all in advance and Happy Thanksgiving

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Char-Broil GOURMET TRU-Infrared 2 Burner

Pit Boss 700FB

Offline Pappymn

« on: November 18, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
I always like to spatchcock the bird. Cooks faster and more even. I also like to smear a compound butter over and under the skin. I also dry brine mine for a couple of days in the fridge. I would start thawing the bird now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline nukeofficer

• Grillin & Chillin
Re: In Need of Thanksgiving Turkey Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 04:46:08 PM »
I always like to spatchcock the bird. Cooks faster and more even. I also like to smear a compound butter over and under the skin. I also dry brine mine for a couple of days in the fridge. I would start thawing the bird now

I keep hearing a lot about dry brine.
Any good advice or tips on how to dry brine a bird?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Char-Broil GOURMET TRU-Infrared 2 Burner

Pit Boss 700FB

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 05:25:30 PM »
From what I have read. They say 2/3 tsp of kosher salt per pound of turkey. You can add some sugar, pepper, or anything else to the salt. And just sprinkle it over all the bird.

I always do two small birds. This year I'm going to add two tablespoons of baking POWDER..... NOT SODA. to the brine mixture. Then in the fridge uncovered to let the skin dry out

Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 06:09:32 PM »
I cooked two 12 pound turkeys on my MAK 2 Star last Thanksgiving.  I coated each with some rosemary infused olive oil then a rub.  Put each bird in an aluminum 1/2 sheet pan with onions, carrots, and celery on the bottom along with some chicken stock.  Cooked at 250 F until internal temp on the breast of 165.  It took about 3.5 hours.  Let them rest under foil for about an hour and they turned out awesome.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »
I'll second Pappy's advice to spatchcock that bird! The bird cooks in just a little over half the time, without drying out.  Once you spatchcock, it's hard to go back!

You can cook the stuffing/dressing in a separate pan.  It can also go into your MAK on about half way through the turkey cook, either on the upper grate or on the lower grate under your turkey and let it catch the turkey drippings - YUM!

When spatchcocking, Iuse the backbone, along with the neck and/or giblets, to make stock for the stuffing/dressing and gravy (for heaven's sake, don't forget the gravy :P).

Oh yeah,  sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie...  whoa Mamma, talk about good... cook them on your MAK as well, the kiss of smoke is phenomenal!

When I dry brine, I prefer rubbing salt in between the skin and meat.  It's a little more work, separating the skin, but I can use a LOT less salt this way.  It can be done the night before, and left in the fridge covered.

I use no more than 1/2 tsp pickling salt per leg quarter and breast side under the skin.  This allows me room to also season with some additional salt, along with some pepper, rosemary, thyme & sage on the outside without it becoming too salty.

Pickling or Kosher salt are best because they have no anti-caking agents, so they penetrate much better & quicker.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
Tent is wise. Save that backbone for the gravy!

Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 12:47:53 PM »

Here's a link to a smoked 14 lb bird I practiced on a few days ago (cooking times do not include 30 minutes to pre-heat and 20 minutes rest loosely under a foil tent):  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=21464.0
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG