Author Topic: Sams club vs restaurant depot please help my new question  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Sams club vs restaurant depot please help my new question
« Reply #-1 on: January 18, 2018, 06:46:49 PM »
For those who been to both. Which one would be better to buy a whole rib eye or whole strip loin ? I'm more thinking abut quality than prices. Not that I'm made of money but I'm thinking the value at both places would be better than buying individual steaks
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:47:33 AM by Lemonhead78 »
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: Sams club vs restaurant depot
« on: January 18, 2018, 07:04:19 PM »
Don't belong to Sam's, just Costco. I find that I get better Prime briskets at a better price at Costco. RD has better rib eye (if you get the Prime). Not sure on the price differences since if I am buying Prime I tend to not look at the price since it would make me ill. But neither are that bad for the quality you get.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Pappymn

Sams club vs restaurant depot
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 07:06:05 PM »
Restaurant Depot requires a business license to shop. Or you can get a day pass if you have a KCBS membership. That is how I get into RD.
You will save some money at RD. And they all pretty much buy beef from the same suppliers. RD is a shopping experience, not for the faint of heart. And bring a jacket to wear in the cold room

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 08:29:36 PM »
I have a rd card. I've been several times just never looked at thre meat. From the responses I got that's where I'm going to go. I did t realize they have prime quality ! I assume it will state on package if it's select choice or prime ?
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Pappymn

Sams club vs restaurant depot
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:34:00 PM »
I have a rd card. I've been several times just never looked at thre meat. From the responses I got that's where I'm going to go. I did t realize they have prime quality ! I assume it will state on package if it's select choice or prime ?
Meat will definitely be labeled. My RD does not carry prime grade, so your mileage may vary
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 11:30:03 PM »
Mine has mostly choice but has a "small" fridge area with prime tenderloin and a few other cuts. But Costco is my place for pork bellies and prime briskets.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline DWard51

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 12:39:24 AM »
Commercial Member at both.  RD has more choices in both grade and cut of meat.   If you compare the prices of the same cut/grade they are fairly comparable in Atlanta.  Next comes the convience factor.  I have a upscale Sam's Club (Brookhaven store) right next to my office and I have one about 15 minutes away from the house.  RD is about 15 minutes away from the office (I have two RD options about the same distance as there are 3 in Atlanta).  But then I'm in Atlanta traffic.  90% of the time, it's Sam's Club for me unless I'm looking for a certain cut and grade of meat that only RD has.  Hell, one time I was going to smoke a whole beef clod, and ended up settling for a chuck roll from Sam's (smaller and similar cut).  RD had the clod and the chuck rolls, but Sam's only carries the chuck rolls for their large primal cuts.  RD for monster beef ribs also!!!!

We were buying for events at RD, but the local Sam's was pretty much even on price so with it next to the office, it had a big plus and we generally get office event supplies (coffee, cups, drinks, aluminum pans, chips, crackers, nuts, etc...) from the Sam's Club.

But if you have access to both, it's nice to have options...

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 05:46:13 AM »
I hope someone still reads this post. I have decision making problems so please help me lol. I'm a member at sams club which is under 10 mins from house. Rd is about 30 minutes away. A costco which I never been too is 50 minutes away. Which route should I go. I'm interested in a whole rib eye roast. Also maybe some frozen burgers ( I know their unpopular around here but their so convenient). I'm intrigued by Costco I hear they carry prime and some good frozen cab burgers. Or maybe I read some kind of gourmet burger I can't remember. So is it worth me to splurge on a Costco membership that's far away or just stick to my current options?
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline KJRsmoker

Re: Sams club vs restaurant depot please help my new question
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 07:36:46 AM »
I'm a Costco fan so I'd say go with Costco.  They have a great meat selection and certain Prime cuts available.  And their frozen burgers are good.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Pappymn

Sams club vs restaurant depot please help my new question
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 09:19:00 AM »
RD is worth a one time trip to see if it works for you. Then you can make a better decision. Costco is fantastic. I am a huge fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »
I hope someone still reads this post. I have decision making problems so please help me lol. I'm a member at sams club which is under 10 mins from house. Rd is about 30 minutes away. A costco which I never been too is 50 minutes away. Which route should I go. I'm interested in a whole rib eye roast. Also maybe some frozen burgers ( I know their unpopular around here but their so convenient). I'm intrigued by Costco I hear they carry prime and some good frozen cab burgers. Or maybe I read some kind of gourmet burger I can't remember. So is it worth me to splurge on a Costco membership that's far away or just stick to my current options?

We are RD, Sam's and Costco members.  Prices for a whole roast will be about the equal for all.  Quality, as long as it is at least choice, will be the same.  RD members can check prices on-line.  Sam's/Walmart is probably one of the largest meat retailers in the USA so there turnover is huge.  My time is worth a lot to me so with all things being equal, convenience wins.  Here is South Florida we have lots of local supermarket and specialty food stores that is another option.  I don't like going to the mall but do enjoy a visit to these places, especially RD