Author Topic: Need help from you guys  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Need help from you guys
« Reply #-1 on: February 08, 2018, 07:34:02 PM »
I really wanted to make pulled pork this weekend. My wife bought the pernil cut instead of the butt. If your not familiar with this it has more bone in it and a thick layer of fat on it. Should I remove the fat cap and give it a whirl for pulled pork or use it for something else like a Spanish style pernil roast. I really wanted pulled pork
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: Need help from you guys
« on: February 08, 2018, 07:47:14 PM »
If it's the "picnic" portion of the shoulder that you're talking about, you can still make pulled pork out of it. Yes, remove the skin and save it for making chiccarones! It'll not be as good as the butt, BUT it should be still tasty! You're missing the "money muscle" found in the butt and that's good eats but I've made PP with picnics many times.

If you're not talking about the same cut of meat then your mileage may vary!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 07:57:19 PM »
We're on the same page when you said chicharones. Sorry about my spelling lol. That's the cut I have. So you have made it before ? For pulled pork ? Awesome . No money muscle . Thanks man
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:01:56 PM »
I would cook it to pull.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline old sarge

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 09:38:27 PM »
You are good to go.  Not great to go but good to go. Enjoy the mistake!
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 10:06:56 PM »
I will scold my wife when she wakes up in the morning....... maybe not lol
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 02:48:11 PM »
We're on the same page when you said chicharones. Sorry about my spelling lol. That's the cut I have. So you have made it before ? For pulled pork ? Awesome . No money muscle . Thanks man

That's ironic because there is a "pernil" cut of pork.  It's basically the whole shoulder, which is the Boston Butt and Picnic before they are separated.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 03:41:33 PM »
Whether it's a true Pernil cut (from hind leg), or a shoulder Pernil cut, it should work fine for pulled pork. 

I prefer to trim the fat cap down to about 1/4", and cook fat side down so the meat side develops a better bark, but that's personal preference.

Boston Butt versus Picnic cuts:  Over the years I've cooked a lot of pulled pork for some large crowds (Marching band cookouts, banquets, graduation parties, etc.).  In a nutshell, if you specifically want the money muscle for slicing, then yes, go with a Boston Butt. Otherwise both are shoulder cuts and will work equally well for pulled pork.

As far as yield:  The Picnic has more bone, and the Boston Butt has more of the fat cap (which ends up being trimmed off), so it's your choice.

Some years ago, at one of the Marching Band BBQ's, I did a blind taste test of Butts versus Picnics with all the adult staff & volunteers. There was no clear winner because no one could tell which was which.

For large cooks I just get whole shoulders and have them cut in half (separating the butt from the picnic), because it's more economical.  At home I just use whichever cut I have.

This was four whole shoulders I got from the butcher, with the shank removed, and cut in half (i.e. four Butts and four Picnics).

Hope this makes sense!

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 04:24:54 PM »
Fantastic info TentHunteR!!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 05:16:09 PM »
FWIW, many prefer the picnic to the butt because it has a stronger flavor.  Just watch for the glands (and discard them) when you are pulling it.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 08:21:44 AM »
Man this site is awesome. Thanks to all,  for the knowledge. I was a little confused, not anymore . I appreciate all that info
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker