Author Topic: New to me smoker. Season and inaugural smoked dinner  (Read 69064 times)

Offline BrewerDave

New to me smoker. Season and inaugural smoked dinner
« Reply #-1 on: December 30, 2014, 07:03:38 PM »
Hello all,

I just purchased a new to me char-broil vertical gas smoker and will be attempting my first season and smoked dinner of a beer can chicken. I've posted my plan and recipe below and would appreciate any tips, tricks, or constructive critisism.This is from about a dozen recipes and techniques I found across the web. Thanks in advance
DS

Seasoning:
Spray a very light coating of olive oil on the inside surfaces of the smoker.
Fill the smoke box with wood chips
Start the fire and try to maintain a temperature of around 225 for about 2 hours

Recipe and technique:
Basic Rub Recipe

1/4 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
1/4 cup sweet paprika
3 tblsp salt
1 tblsp ground pepper
1 tblsp garlic powder
1 tblsp onion powder
1 tblsp chili powder
1 tblsp cayenne powder
Apply the rub generously over the pieces, all sides and under the skin. At least a couple of hours, and preferably overnight.

Smoke day

Pepare the 1/2 can of beer and the chicken stand(let them sit out). Add seasonings to to the beer (if you are using them).
Fill the water pan to at least 2/3 full). Use hot water to help avoid wasting fuel.
Place the chips (presoaked in water 20 min.) in the wood chip container.
Fire-up the cooker and get the temperature to about 235°F (113°C) and prepare to keep that temperature as steady as you can. Maintain the temperature between 200 - 235°F (93-113°C) for the ideal smoked chicken.
When the temperature (inside the smoker at the grill) has reached 235°F (113°C)...
Place 1/2 can of beer in chicken stand, position chicken on stand, and place chicken in the smoker
Check the chicken at the meatiest part of the breast between the bones, looking for 160°F (71°C) Remove the bird(s) and let it rest for at least 10 minutes
Figure about 4 hours minimum in the smoker

Anything?
DS

Offline flbentrider

Re: New to me smoker. Season and inaugural smoked dinner
« on: December 30, 2014, 07:29:53 PM »
Seems like a good plan.

Why the olive oil on the inside of the smoker?

Offline BrewerDave

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 07:36:37 PM »
Thats what I found on a few websites. Some say Pam etc. I gather the oil would "hold" the smoke. I am a total newbie so I'm willing to try it. lol. Most of my experience has been with a dehydrator and the WallyWill homebuilt smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:26:59 PM »
I would just go with Pam for the season. Other than that, sounds like you are all set.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 11:53:21 PM »
Before you soak wood chips you may want to read this article at <a href="http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_soaking_wood.html">Amazing Ribs</a>
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 12:16:37 AM »
There is another method of smoking chicken other than low and slow, check it out at <a href="http://www.smoker-cooking.com/how-to-smoke-whole-chicken.html">Smoker Cooking</a>
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline BrewerDave

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 10:08:32 PM »
I decided to wait until I got my Maverick temperature probe set. It looks like I'll also have to wait a few days to try the smoker, as its going to drop into the teens weatherwise. I did manage to season the smoker and it only leaked smoke everywhere but the actual chamber.lol

Looking forward to using this

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 02:47:07 AM »
Hi..I have the electric version of the CB smoker. I also use a fire brick in the bottom of mine to help hold the temp even..got it at Menard's...specially in cold weather.  Use the Pam, good stuff, the olive oil gets sticky.  I do NOT wet wood, it smolders until it's dry, then you get smoke. Get it hot then add the chips. Main thing is to have fun. Also..I fill the grill, why waste all that space. Throw in another chicken and something else too. I smoke salt, peppercorns, sugar, so go for it. Someone in here even smoked coffee. Pam   GO BUCKS  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 12:07:18 PM »
The leaking of smoke will get a bit better as you use the smoker more. Just keep in mind that you have a Char-Broil, not a Smoke Vault and some leakage will be expected. However, you will be able to turn out some tasty grub on it. Don't soak your chips. You can also use pellets if available.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 12:58:32 PM »
 Some of the leaks can be sealed with High Temp silicone. You can get rolls of felt seals at Bayou Classic and I'm sure Amazon elsewhere that will help seal the doors.
I think Pam's idea of the fire brick is a good one for maintaining temp in cold weather. 

My old Bass Pro Masterbuilt vertical smoker which was a POS for the most part leaked here and there but still turned out great results once I chunked the gas burner in the trash and converted it to a stick burner.
 I just put it out for the trash last week after 3 or 4 years of use. A guy stopped to pick  it up before I even got it on the ground. Said he would weld a new bottom on it. I said that should work and good luck.

And remember that beer can chicken ONLY works if you drink the first half of that beer!  ;)
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »
Oh and by the way. Brine that bird!  I think there is a post on that by Lost Arrow somewhere here....
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline BrewerDave

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 07:50:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I will not soak the chips, have bought some stove caulk from Ace hardware, the maverick has arrived and I have modified the char-broil base to allow more heat to dissipate and not boil off the water so fast.

Now if the polar vortex will piss off back north I can smoke a couple of brined chickens and some other goodies

Offline Pappymn

New to me smoker. Season and inaugural smoked dinner
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 09:24:12 PM »
Atta boy! Good luck and post pics
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 09:30:04 PM »
Sounds like you have a plan.  Looking forward to the report and pics of the final product.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 11:03:06 AM »
Brewer Dave
Tell me a little more about your smoker configuration, I think its an updated model of my CB600X Vertical gas smoker. I made some, about 5 modifications to my smoker, not all at one time to improve the smoker efficiency. Do you have a water pan? Is the water pan and the chip cup one unit? So how did the first smoke Go?
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device