Author Topic: Pulled Pork Oh My Goodness.....  (Read 34448 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Pulled Pork Oh My Goodness.....
« Reply #-1 on: December 11, 2015, 08:44:54 PM »
I picked up a pork shoulder blade yesterday... set it in the fridge with a dry brine (kosher salt) overnight.

Rinsed and dried this morning and added some mustard and rub (T's WOW, Fine Swine & Bovine, and Super Pig - about 1, 1, 1.) Pre-heated the Char Broil electric smoker at 250* for about 45 minutes while the meat came close to room temp (takes longer than that but it does get the chill off.)

Filled the drip tray with hot water and the wood pan with apple chips - put the meat in a Bradley rack and in the smoker. After about 3 hours I added some more chips.

After about 6 hours the fork test was perfect - I think the temp was about 190* but the bone came out easily and the fork twirled just fine - it was ready. Great bark, great flavor, just right for a sandwich!

Pulled easily with my bear claws. Then I had to go get nourishment for Rocky's gymnastics team tomorrow - big 8 team meet.

Got home - the pork was gone - Roscoe had one of those guilty smiles - he liked it... dang! I had even bought him a treat - a big rawhide candy cane.... One of these days!

[attachment deleted by admin]
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Pulled Pork Oh My Goodness.....
« on: December 11, 2015, 08:55:03 PM »
Looking real good. :P
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 09:03:40 PM »
Looking real good. :P

Yup Roscoe thought so too...  ??? ::) ::) ??? ???
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 09:11:33 PM »
Does look great David. Hope you at least had a sammie or two before Roscoe ate his "Christmas" present!  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 09:30:17 PM »
Looks good can't wait till I can cook again
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 10:44:37 PM »
Mighty fine looking David!
Look at it this way....if your PP was just ok, it would still be hanging around! 8)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 08:28:50 AM »
I'm going got need a sandwich (or 2).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

Pulled Pork Oh My Goodness.....
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 09:35:06 AM »
Great barkage
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »
It looks so yummy . gives me the urge to reach and grab some for a sandwich.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline muralboy

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 11:59:35 AM »
Obviously with all that bark it was speaking Roscoe's language.
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 12:15:28 PM »
Hey, Doc, have you had any problems with the CharBroil Electric Smoker?   I USUALLY get one good check for Christmas and am considering an electric smoker.    Down to the CharBroil or a Masterbuilt.    Read a couple of not good reviews on the promotional Masterbuilt that Academy has for $200.  Have always been partial to CharBroil cause that is what I have used FOREVER--on third big ones--other two still in use.   Have the SMK (smoker) attachment for my charcoal grill, but getting older and lazier!   Want the convenience of an electric set and forget job.    Would value your opinion, or any one else who has used either one.    Thanks

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 12:45:27 PM »
D@mn ! ! !

Well, it looked really good, while it lasted.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 03:45:07 PM »
Obviously with all that bark it was speaking Roscoe's language.

Yup - good call!
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 03:53:20 PM »
Hey, Doc, have you had any problems with the CharBroil Electric Smoker?   I USUALLY get one good check for Christmas and am considering an electric smoker.    Down to the CharBroil or a Masterbuilt.    Read a couple of not good reviews on the promotional Masterbuilt that Academy has for $200.  Have always been partial to CharBroil cause that is what I have used FOREVER--on third big ones--other two still in use.   Have the SMK (smoker) attachment for my charcoal grill, but getting older and lazier!   Want the convenience of an electric set and forget job.    Would value your opinion, or any one else who has used either one.    Thanks

Hey AG-

I really like this smoker. I am old and lazy with 2 kids that are in many sports that require my attendance or coaching...  ??? ::) ::) ::)

I have an original test unit as they worked out the bugs. I know they have added some stuff since then and likely is much better. However, I do like mine. I had the original C-B electric smoker. This is WAY better. I have read that some people had problems with the digital control - I haven't. I can set it, let it preheat, then add the water pan and wood (I use pellets or chips or both depending on "flavors.") I have used Weber SM smokers and liked them as well as my Weber grill for smoking. While they all worked great, given my attention span and time, the electric C-B is my choice for a smoker - maybe someday when things slow down I will get a stick burner, but for now this is the smoker for me.

Good luck - enjoy & send pictures!
Member #