Author Topic: Smokes Pellet Fried Chicken  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Smokes Pellet Fried Chicken
« Reply #-1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:14:43 AM »
May 19 2016

Recently Scally posted about using baking powder to help crisp up chicken skin. I thought we had tried that and searched; 3 years ago Smoke did some and posted the recipe. I found the post where I had tried it and I said I liked it but I haven’t tried it since!

With renewed interest I decided to try it again. I had also read to marinate chicken in vodka to get crispy skin. I decided to give that a try too. I had a split friar so washed and trimmed it some and into a zip lock bag with a cup of Pinnacle vodka overnight in the fridge and turning it some.

It had been in over 12 hours so I took it out and placed on a rack in a pan and back in the fridge for several hours to air dry. I fried up some diced bacon to make our favorite pea salad for a side. I cheated and used some Bob Even’s mac n cheese for our other side.

I cut up the chicken, dipped in the egg, buttermilk mix and then the seasoned flour with the baking powder. I had a foil pan that I melted a Tbs. of bacon grease and a Tbs. of butter and added. The chicken went in skin side down and then in the fridge about 2 hours before cooking.

I heated my Traeger up to where I was running 375 to 380 at grill level temp. The pan of chicken went in for 30 minutes then turned the chicken and went to about 340 deg. grill level for another 30 minutes. I checked with my thermopen and all was getting to temp with 10 minutes to go. I went inside and got ready to serve and heated the mac n cheese in the microwave.

I let the chicken set a couple minutes then served the wife a breast and the sides. I had a leg, a thigh and a wing that had some of the wishbone meat. It all was good the chicken was moist and tender. The skin was kinda crisp and was eatable. My wife and I both thought we tasted something a little different. I think it was the vodka. Vodka is supposed to be tasteless but the Pinnacle vodka made from wheat does have a distinct taste to me. Next time I will drink the vodka and do a simple salt brine!

Link to my first try  http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=3550.msg41217#msg41217

To be honest after over 40 years cooking chicken on gas grills and 3 different types of smokers I have never achieved crisp skin like you get when deep fried or skillet fried. When I want good crispy skin I go to Sandman’s carry out and get his broasted chicken!

Smokin Don

Smoke's recipe:
Smokes pellet fried chicken
1 cut-up frying chicken
    1 cube butter
    1/3 cup evaporated milk, I used buttermilk
    1 egg
    3/4 cup flour
    1 tablespoon paprika (this helps brown the chicken)
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

Beat egg in small bowl. Add evaporated milk and stir thoroughly.

Mix flour, paprika, baking powder, salts, and pepper in a bowl.

Use a small bowl to melt butter in microwave and then pour into shallow metal baking pan large enough to hold the chicken pieces.

Dip chicken pieces in egg/milk mixture and then roll in flour mix. Place into metal baking pan.

Set the grill to 375° and wait until this temperature stabilizes. Cook the chicken for 25 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to 325°, turn the chicken pieces over, and cook for 30 more minutes or until done.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:29:57 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Smokes Pellet Fried Chicken
« on: May 20, 2016, 05:45:54 AM »
Bookmarked! That looks great!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:24:49 AM »
I thought the cup of vodka was for the cook.  That way you don't care if the skin is crispy or not.

Yours came out great.  I make the same kind of pea salad.  We love that around this house.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

Smokes Pellet Fried Chicken
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 09:32:29 AM »
Looks good SD. I dry brined a bird recently where I mixed baking powder with the salt and let it sit on the bird overnight. It really did crisp the skin.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 09:44:37 AM »
Very nice crispy skin Don. I don't eat the skin anymore but if I did I'd be using this recipe. Love the pea salad ...
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
Looks very tasty Don! Nice work!  Is that my plate buddy? :D

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 10:37:59 AM »
That chicken looks deep fried!

I need to try this once I get my pellet grill out of storage
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 03:09:08 PM »
That really looks good Don  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32