Author Topic: Looking for tips - WSM 22.5"  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Ericd3043

Looking for tips - WSM 22.5"
« Reply #-1 on: June 27, 2016, 11:21:14 PM »
So - the road to our first competition is becoming more clear.  The grill I was able to acquire FOR THE DAY is the WSM 22.5".  Mason Dixon BBQ Services will be at the competition that day and said that they rent grills.  For $40, they will take it to the site and then take it back (as well as clean it )afterwards.

I have used the Red Box Smoker quite a few times, but the WSM is a new animal for me.  The owner gave some tips (hot water in the pan, build a donut of charcoal, etc).  The grill is well seasoned.  However, I was hoping for some tips prior to using it so I can be prepared.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  I am sure there is a Youtube video to check out and will be doing so over the next week or so.

Thanks!

Offline Ericd3043

Re: Looking for tips - WSM 22.5"
« on: June 27, 2016, 11:35:33 PM »
BTW- I will be doing 10 lb of party legs, ribs and chicken thighs.  The plan is to do the ribs in the Red Box Smoker, but I am thinking of doing them in the WSM and setting up the Red Box for the thighs.  That would mean the 10 lb of legs would be cooking on top of the ribs - not sure I want to do that. 

I am estimating 2 hours for the legs in the WSM and another 2 hours or so for the thighs.  If I do them all in the WSM, I could pretty much finish one prior to starting the second.  The chicken would probably be more moist on the lower rack, closest to the water?

Just trying to think it through since I have never used this before.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 12:29:54 PM »
This could take a minute . . . .

I use this same cooker in competition all the time. 

The first thing is, I use variation of the Minion Method.  What I do is take a larger tin can with both ends cut out.  I am currently using a large Bush’s Baked Beans can.  With that inside the charcoal ring, I fill the rest of the ring with briquettes.  I put my wood chunks (not chips) on top of the briquettes.

Then light 12-15 briquettes in your chimney starter, when they’re going good, dump then inside the can and use a set of tongs, pliers, etc, to pull the can out.

For shorter cooks (ribs/chicken) I do not use water in the pan, but even if you do, line it with foil for easier clean up.

More to come.

BD

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:44:47 PM by Big Dawg »
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 12:45:15 PM »
As far as what to cook where, I would also be hesitant to cook the legs over the ribs because of the drippings.  If the ribs will fit in the Red Box, that’s how I would do it.

The WSM 22.5 will hold around 20 lbs. of briquettes.  That’s way more than you will need.  I actually bought a charcoal ring for a WSM 18.5 and use that when I cook ribs and still have unused briquettes after the cook.  So, if you have access to couple of fire bricks to take up some of the space inside the ring.

Keep an eye on the initial temps.  I now have a DigiQ, but before that I would usually run with the upper vent open and two of the lower vents closed and adjust temps with one open lower vent.  You may need more than one vent open at first, but make sure to start closing them before you get up to your intended cooking temp.

You have access to, in my opinion, one of the best cookers on the market at any price.  It does take a little attention, but it is a rock solid design and should produce some fine chicken and ribs for you this weekend.

BD

The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:40:09 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I plan to buy one at some point, but it was more expensive than I could afford at the time.  I got the RB at a good price.  That said, I look forward to trying this out.

I agree with you on the ribs - I think I will get a better result because of timing out of the red box and should have time to finish them on the WSM after the chicken is done.  If anything, I should be able to transfer them to the RB and put the ribs then on the WSM.  I am just glad I will have 3 helpers during the cook.

Thanks!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:13:41 PM »

The first thing is, I use variation of the Minion Method.  What I do is take a larger tin can with both ends cut out.  I am currently using a large Bush’s Baked Beans can.  With that inside the charcoal ring, I fill the rest of the ring with briquettes.  I put my wood chunks (not chips) on top of the briquettes.

Then light 12-15 briquettes in your chimney starter, when they’re going good, dump then inside the can and use a set of tongs, pliers, etc, to pull the can out.

For shorter cooks (ribs/chicken) I do not use water in the pan, but even if you do, line it with foil for easier clean up.

More to come.

BD

I do the same thing to a T.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 04:17:20 PM »

More to come.

BD

I do the same thing to a T.

And that's because I got this advice from you ! ! !  I do apologize for not giving you credit in my initial response.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:37:09 PM »
No worries my friend.  We're always cool.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66