Author Topic: Off set fire box ???  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
Off set fire box ???
« Reply #-1 on: October 04, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »
I'm now looking at the meadow creek sq36 offset. And you can get it with a insulated fire box for a whopping $625 more!!!! Looking for some input on pros and cons of non insulated vs insulated fire box.
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
Breville Smart Oven Air Convection Toaster Oven
John OHIO

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: Off set fire box ???
« on: October 04, 2016, 05:01:22 PM »
Uses less fuel, you can buy a lot of wood for $600 however.
Able to cook well in colder climates.
Safer around children or drunks  ::)
Realistically no one buys a stick burner to save money on fuel!
Probably decrease heat loss by 25-33 % you still have a large pit that looses heat.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »
I did a full review on the SQ-36. I feel the fire-box is too small in relation to the smoking chamber. I would look elsewhere.............imho
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 08:11:28 PM »
I read your review.

It is time to wrap up this product review. Meadow Creek makes one heck of a nice smoker. Very easy to master and holds rock solid temps. The full length heat and smoke diffuser is brilliant. It is the only off-set I have run across where you can use the entire cooking surface. The optional charcoal rack works but you need to use way too much charcoal for grilling. This is a smoker and should be used for smoking. Get a Weber or a Old Smokey for your grilling needs.     
                                                                     In closing this review, I can honestly say I have finally found pit nirvana. This Meadow Creek cooks incredibly well and using straight wood produces that campfire flavor I have always searched for. I am not returning it. This particular pit does exactly what I want and if I let it go the search will continue again....not gonna happen. It is extremely well made, has well thought out features and is a cooker for the serious backyard enthusiast.

It sounds like you really liked the sq36 from the two post above I clipped from your review.
The only things I could see you didn't like is the leaking and the grease from food (fire).

Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
John OHIO

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:32:33 AM »
Thanks for the refresher on my SQ-36 review.

I think the fire-box to smoking chamber problem was on a  review was on a Texas Pit Crafter model. So many offsets, so little time  ;D

They failed to do an internal weld inside the fire-box and grease ran back into the fire-box and it was flame central.

I am sure that will never happen again because Meadow Creek has great quality.

The SQ-36 is basically their PR-36 with a fire-box attached. You will really like the full length "tuning plate"channel that runs the length of the smoking chamber. It is welded to the bottom of the smoking chamber.

If they make one from scratch for you, I would ask them to not weld it to the bottom. It is stitch welded and grease will make its way into the channel. This way it can be simply removed for cleaning.

Glad you liked my review, I try to keep things straight down the middle.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 09:15:02 PM »
Yes I like your reviews and have read other ones you have done and respect that you give your honest opion on them to help others out to make there decision. I went 2 days ago and looked at a sq36 and it seems well built I was originally looking at the bbq 42 but decided it was not was I was looking for.
I do cook a lot of chicken that's why the bbq 42 (chicken flipper) looked so great! But seem to be limited on what you could do.
That's why I started looking at the sq36 and based on your review and me going to look at it seemed like what I'm looking for.
I have a gas grill and 2 electric smokers.
Gas grill = fast and quick - hamburgers - hotdogs and steak.
Electric smoker = not much you can say but SET IT AND FORGET IT.

So now that I'm older and love to cook (slowed down in life) I'm looking for more of a hands on cooker.
I have looked at the pellet cookers but just seems to me it's more of a set and forget (I know it's more than that but not looking to argue remember I'm looking for hands on  ;D)

Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
John OHIO

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 10:13:01 AM »
If you have the time, there is a great satisfaction when you eat your finished product. I look at off-set cooking like this: you place your seasoned meat in the smoking chamber and then it is all about maintaining a clean burning fire after that.

I am in a completely different situation than you. I had the time to run off-sets and now we are in a vibrant community where we are all over the place so I need "set it and forget it". It is the only way I can come home to BBQ.

I would also like to mention that a water pan set on top of the fire tuning channel really works well. It not only will catch some drippings but really steams nicely since it sets on the channel.  ;)

Oh, and thank you for the kind words on my reviews. I don't think I have steered anyone wrong so far  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

Off set fire box ???
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 03:14:05 PM »
Have you looked at the KBQ? Some of the best looking food I have ever seen.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 03:32:12 PM »
Yes i have and it's how I joined this site. Thanks RG. It's still on the list of looking at and I talked to the owner of KBQ for bout 40 mins a couple weeks ago.
I've been looking and reading on all the other high end smokers to make sure I'm getting what I think I'm looking for. (Buy once cry once right?)
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
John OHIO

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 09:34:43 PM »
Perhaps one of the greatest things about this hobby/addiction -is that there are SO many ways and SO many cookers that allow everyone the opportunity to make it as fulfilling an experience as they desire, and tailor the level of hands - on participation to suit themselves.

I admire your thorough exploration and questioning everything. It shows you care about what you do, and are approaching the subject with sincerity. That leads to long term satisfaction.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401