Author Topic: We have to stop using aluminum foil  (Read 7702 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: We have to stop using aluminum foil
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 09:55:05 PM »
Well - as I said earlier...I have had first hand experience with the cumulative effects of metals poisoning. Each one can decide what they want to do of course.

But, allow me to remind you of this: In the 1950's medical Dr's would often prescribe smoking for patients to calm their nerves. :D :D :D :D And - at that time there were various studies which already said smoking was bad for your health. Notice how long it took to get a consensus on that from the medical community? I am not anti-Dr. in fact, many of them are my friends as well as referral sources for our medical equipment business. So, I get some insight as to medicine is practiced - from a slightly different angle than most.

But you need to know THIS: YOUR Dr. and all others for that matter receive far LESS training on nutrition than a veterinarian. That is a fact. AND...( this one ought to be a wake up call ;) )How you you think your physician learns which drugs to prescribe for your needs? From the drug company's sales people that call on him. Again FACT....

Folks, it is a "buyer beware" world we live in. The more you know, the less you should fear or be paranoid about.  That is all I am saying.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline stalag

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 10:35:57 PM »
Well - as I said earlier...I have had first hand experience with the cumulative effects of metals poisoning. Each one can decide what they want to do of course.

But, allow me to remind you of this: In the 1950's medical Dr's would often prescribe smoking for patients to calm their nerves. :D :D :D :D And - at that time there were various studies which already said smoking was bad for your health. Notice how long it took to get a consensus on that from the medical community? I am not anti-Dr. in fact, many of them are my friends as well as referral sources for our medical equipment business. So, I get some insight as to medicine is practiced - from a slightly different angle than most.

But you need to know THIS: YOUR Dr. and all others for that matter receive far LESS training on nutrition than a veterinarian. That is a fact. AND...( this one ought to be a wake up call ;) )How you you think your physician learns which drugs to prescribe for your needs? From the drug company's sales people that call on him. Again FACT....

Folks, it is a "buyer beware" world we live in. The more you know, the less you should fear or be paranoid about.  That is all I am saying.

I myself do not need to know a "fact checker".  Being a PhD chemist, aluminum decidedly is NOT a heavy metal.  However aluminum does react in the body in ways that is not good.  As long as the oxide coating is not disturbed in an aluminum pan, it is perfectly safe to cook with as long as the food is not acidic.  It is recommended by me that one consider using an iron pan or other pan that is less susceptible to acid attack.  Ceramic coated pans are fine as the coating is so hard and due to the oxide in ceramic is mostly inert to anything cooking wise you throw at it.  Enamel is fine as well.  Stainless steel pans are also fine.  Many females like aluminum because it is of light weight.  But ease of handling needs to be balanced with a knowledge of the materials one uses in cooking.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 11:22:06 PM »
Yes Stalag...I agree - that is why anodized is fine with me ( given that care is taken to not damage the micro-thin anodized surface layer )...but this discussion is targeting the use of aluminum foil. When we combine heat with acidic foods....it is not worth that risk for me. But everyone has their preferences, and we respect that.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline DWard51

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 11:48:55 PM »
Also let's not forget that dihydrogen monoxide (also listed as DHMO sometimes), is one of the deadliest compounds on earth and its is so widespread that testing will reveal high concentration levels of DHMO can be found in pretty much every home in North America!!!!!!

Dihydrogen Monoxide Facts

-   Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid.
-   Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters.
-   The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.
-    is the major component of acid rain.
-    contributes to the Greenhouse Effect.
-    may cause severe burns.
-    can be fatal if inhaled
-    contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
-    accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
-    may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
-    has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Contamination is reaching epidemic proportions! Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. In the midwest alone DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

-    as an industrial solvent and coolant.
-    in nuclear power plants.
-    in the production of styrofoam.
-    as a fire retardant.
-    in many forms of cruel animal research.
-    in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
-    as an additive in certain junk-foods and other food products.
-    in nearly every soda currently in production
-    in school lunches and at sporting events!

Yeah, I know..... I just could not resist this one

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:59:18 PM by DWard51 »

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 11:56:38 PM »
 :D :D :D

That is a good one! ;) ;D ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline stalag

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 02:28:58 AM »
Yes Stalag...I agree - that is why anodized is fine with me ( given that care is taken to not damage the micro-thin anodized surface layer )...but this discussion is targeting the use of aluminum foil. When we combine heat with acidic foods....it is not worth that risk for me. But everyone has their preferences, and we respect that.

The same principle for pans also applies to foil.  Same material, same problems.

Oh, and the dihydrogen monoxide thing.....seen it before, still funny!

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 06:05:31 AM »
Gezzz after all of this, I've lost my appetite  :-X
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Hub

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 08:06:06 AM »
They can have my aluminum foil when they pry my cold, dead hands off the roll  >:(

Nothing else works as well for making a radio wave protective hat  ;)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 08:26:17 AM »
I found some Butcher paper on Amazon.com.  It came in 150' rolls...ordered some to try.  I've been wanting to try it for a long time, but couldn't find it in small rolls.  Whilst I was looking at the bbq thermometers, they suggested Butcher paper.  I'll be interested to see how it works.

Now I'll stop milking this dead horse because it probably won't change anyone's mind about.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »
OH NO!!!!

I just drank some Dihydrogen Monoxide from a cup I made from aluminum foil!!!  ??? 

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 09:27:22 AM »
OH NO!!!!

I just drank some Dihydrogen Monoxide from a cup I made from aluminum foil!!!  ???

The Aliens called...they have a seat on the spaceship reserved just for YOU. You probably will not like the physical exam tho...... :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 09:51:53 AM »
than most.

This is so true!!!!!
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline stalag

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
Okay, I will give a good use  (doesn't work) for aluminum foil

One of my uncles owns a house next to a microwave communications tower.  Stan, Steve, and Mike, my cousins, decided to climb the tower.  Steve being a know it all told his brother and cousin to line their underwear with foil to protect their manhood.  They did so and went out to climb the tower.  Steve chickens out, but Mike and Stan were determined.  The police were called, the two boys arrested and hauled to the police station.   After questioning the police were laughing and called the parents to come collect the kids.  Needless to say Stan and Mike were teased over that.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 10:23:51 AM »
We could go back to Tin foil not the same a aluminum foil but that is not as good & leaves a taste in food. Is it better for you? I don't know

Here are some tips I found    http://www.whistlepighollow.com/2013/06/16/7-ways-to-replace-aluminum-foil-in-your-kitchen/

IMO Like anything else if you can cut out 70 to 90% of its use you can still be better off.   
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline DWard51

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »
I did find one non-food use for aluminum foil.  Back in the day when I worked the graveyard shift, I ended up putting foil over the windows on the inside.  Perfect darkness for sleeping and it was inexpensive and easy to take down.  Some of the other guys painted their windows, but foil was quicker and reversible.  Our bedroom was on the back of the house and I don't think the neighbors even noticed the "foil" window.