Author Topic: Pit Boss 700 or Camp Chef SE  (Read 19018 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Pit Boss 700 or Camp Chef SE
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2018, 11:11:26 PM »
It is relatively new Jack.  It is being sold exclusively through Wal-Mart. One cannot expect much support from the retailer...Yuo will be dealing with the manufacturer for certain.

My main concern is a grill this big with all the features and being just under 500 bucks makes me wonder what has been sacrificed quality wise to get this beast at such a low price point........................We have seen many other products in teh wonderful world of outdoor cooking - which pack SOOO many features/gadgets into a low priced package....AND they all suffer from the "value engineering syndrome". I admire companies that try their best to offer us all the bells and whistles for a low cost - but at the expense of durability and reliability...."cheap may very well be the most expensive price of all.... ;D"
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2018, 09:07:29 AM »
I know all that...but I'm not Daddy Warbucks.

However, on the other hand - she wore a glove.

just sayin...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2018, 06:15:58 PM »
In all honesty, I had one on order just last week. Then on Facebook I was seeing a bunch of controller problems on the Pit Boss page. I just had my Traeger actually have one of those malfunctions and I had a small explosion in the cooking chamber.

I cancelled the order and my next pellet grill will be a MAK.  It is time to have the reliability and durability and dependability that a MAK provides.

I am tired of cheap and all the problems and headaches and cost that comes with it.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2018, 09:25:51 PM »
The Weber is lookin' better with every post I read...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2018, 11:13:06 PM »
I'm a supporter of "walk before you run" with a pellet grill. Seems to a ton of Treager knockoffs showing up after patents expired. Make sure that this style of BBQ is for you before going high end. Yes, some have reported controller issues, but could be easily corrected with a basic Ortech controller for $72.
I'm going on 10 years on an old Traeger 070, replaced a few hot rods and a burn pot, that I consider normal wear for a entry level pit.
I never had a flameout with the original controller, but had problems getting over 350 at times. Temp swings + or minus 20 are ok with me. The Ortech will at least get me close enough to 400 for my wings and legs!
I follow a few forums on pellet cookers and like Smoke, I will probably get a Mak this year. You never see them for sale used, except for Sparkys  that I should have taken the 2 hour drive for.

Some of my friends have enjoyed my BBQ have purchased Traeger JR's at Costco's roadshows with the 3 position controller and are turning out some good Q. Some have realized that pellet cooking is not for them, but most have upgraded with minimal loss selling on Craigslist.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2018, 09:06:40 AM »
I'm a supporter of "walk before you run" with a pellet grill. Seems to a ton of Treager knockoffs showing up after patents expired. Make sure that this style of BBQ is for you before going high end. Yes, some have reported controller issues, but could be easily corrected with a basic Ortech controller for $72.
I'm going on 10 years on an old Traeger 070, replaced a few hot rods and a burn pot, that I consider normal wear for a entry level pit.
I never had a flameout with the original controller, but had problems getting over 350 at times. Temp swings + or minus 20 are ok with me. The Ortech will at least get me close enough to 400 for my wings and legs!
I follow a few forums on pellet cookers and like Smoke, I will probably get a Mak this year. You never see them for sale used, except for Sparkys  that I should have taken the 2 hour drive for.

Some of my friends have enjoyed my BBQ have purchased Traeger JR's at Costco's roadshows with the 3 position controller and are turning out some good Q. Some have realized that pellet cooking is not for them, but most have upgraded with minimal loss selling on Craigslist.

Smart man. Even at 400 bucks for a "cheap" pellet grill...400 bucks is 400 bucks!  But they are a great way to get introduced to pellet cooking and if the pellet bug bites you, you know it is only a matter of time before you upgrade. Yes, the inexpensive pellet grills turn out great chow. Just as good as the high grade models, but that is where all comparisons end.

Walk before run?  I have been walking way too much the last 6 years...............time for a MAK and lets be done with it.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2018, 09:08:49 AM »
The Weber is lookin' better with every post I read...

There is something to be said about pits that do not break or have anything on them that will break.

Like most things, pellet grills definitely fall into the category of "you get what you pay for"

If you can get 2-3 years out of an inexpensive pellet grill and you love it, then it did its job.

Upgrade to solid quality and you will never look back.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline hd002

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »

All things considered it is more important to get quality on a pellet with the electronics and moving parts but if it does a good job , or a great job at cooking  then I feel better about fixing a sub 400 grill than I would fixing something on a 2k grill.

Just another country heard from .  I like trying out different grills every couple years.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2018, 06:47:17 PM »
I don't know I like value because that is what I can afford.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline hd002

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2018, 12:08:55 PM »
I wanted to post a pic of a small brisket I did .  Does anyone post from their google drive?
Its been a while !