Author Topic: good (sub $300) - reliable, well insulated, all weather, low tmp holding?  (Read 14584 times)

Offline LvnBBQ

good (sub $300) - reliable, well insulated, all weather, low tmp holding?
« Reply #-1 on: October 07, 2017, 02:03:45 AM »
Ideally something that can handle a rack of ribs, butt or brisket. I would also like to try making pastrami and bacon someday.

Electric because even though I work at home there is little chance I will be able to look after coals and chips during the week. I should be able to refill chips on close to intervals but auto-loading may be the ticket since I may be stuck upstairs for 3 hours easy without interruption. 

I'm also interested in smoking cheeses, peppers, pretty much anything. I have an Big Easy SRG which I love. However it does not perform true low and slow smoke (unmodified) which I think is my next step into smoking up goodness.

Thanks all for any input in advance.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
I say cry once and check out Smokin-it. They are all stainless steel and built like tanks. The prices will surprise for such quality on an electric smoker that will last you a lifetime. The owner Steve is a stand up guy and they even have their own forum......which we will allow you to frequent, just make sure you spend most of your time here  ;) ;)

If you do not go that route, then Masterbuilt is the way to go. You can easily find them around 200 bucks but you will have to change them out every 4-5 years depending on how much you run it.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline LvnBBQ

I say cry once and check out Smokin-it. They are all stainless steel and built like tanks. The prices will surprise for such quality on an electric smoker that will last you a lifetime. The owner Steve is a stand up guy and they even have their own forum......which we will allow you to frequent, just make sure you spend most of your time here  ;) ;)

If you do not go that route, then Masterbuilt is the way to go. You can easily find them around 200 bucks but you will have to change them out every 4-5 years depending on how much you run it.

Oh man those Smokin-it units look very nice for sure. The Model #1 says 18#ish capacity so I could do 2X 7-8# butts in there? Some other brands break down the estimated numbers. How many whole chickens, full racks, briskets, butts, sausages, etc in one smoke? I can give the Smokin-it people a shout just curious if you had an estimate.

Thanks again for the tip

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
LvnBBQ- Where are you located? I ask because I have a Smokin' Tex ( same as the Smokin-It...) On a stainless cart, with accessories that just does not get used. I have a few other cookers...and - I am going to sell it.

P.M. me if you are interested.  It is your budgeted amount ;) ( Cost me about a grand when I bought it.)

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
Yes were do you live? I have a smokin-it 3D I will sell you.
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
Breville Smart Oven Air Convection Toaster Oven