Author Topic: BBBBB or BamaBob's Birthday Brisket & Beer  (Read 1144 times)

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
BBBBB or BamaBob's Birthday Brisket & Beer
« Reply #-1 on: October 28, 2017, 09:29:23 PM »
Went to Costco yesterday, they had prime briskets again, this time for $2.89 a pound.  Picked out a small whole packer, a little over 10 lbs.  After the learning curve from my last brisket cook doing prime meat and learning that it cooks faster than select or choice grades, I decided not to do this one overnight but to start it early and have it finish in time for my birthday dinner.  Got it started around 5:30 AM.  Also wanted to try a higher temp so opened the top vent a little more than usual for a temp of around 275* instead of the usual 225*.  That allowed for more smoke flowing through from the oak chunks.  Used Royal Oak Lump along with some Mesquite lump. 
This turned out really good.  When the IT got to around 195* and the probe slid in like butter I removed from the keg and instead of foiling and wrapping in towels and placing in a cooler I just loosley tented it in foil for about an hour and a half until dinner time.  The crust was fantastic.  Parts of it actually had a nice crunch from the rub & course ground pepper.
Prime is the way to go.  Faster cook and much more moist.  Hope Costco keeps carrying the prime packers.  Weird thing is that right next to them they have choice packers but the price on them is $4.69 a pound.  I was going to ask the butcher about that but thought I better not mess up a good thing.   :D
The Sierra Nevada Octoberfest made for a nice combo, served with BamaPat's famous cole slaw and a sweet tater.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 09:40:50 PM by bamabob »
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline tomcrete1

Re: BBBBB or BamaBob's Birthday Brisket & Beer
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:50:54 PM »
Awesome! Lookin Good!  :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 10:20:11 AM »
Fantastic looking meal.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Pappymn

BBBBB or BamaBob's Birthday Brisket & Beer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »
Awesome! My Costco has the prime packers too. Which are always sitting next to higher priced choice flats. No idea who would pay more for the inferior flat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 10:39:15 AM »
I finally saw the prime packers at my Costco too for the same prices.  Had to ask for them as they were in the back not the case.  Asked them about the big price difference too, and they said it was because the prime had much more fat than the choice.  I cooked one, and now I finally like the brisket that I made.  Used the Aaron Franklin method and butcher paper after the stall.