Author Topic: Pellet Grills what do you do in the middle of a cook & the rains come  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: Pellet Grills what do you do in the middle of a cook & the rains come
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 11:01:31 PM »
You guys are wwaaaaay too concerned about weather and pellet grilling.  :D

Tee you are right I am sure for most but money is important for me now & the risk is high enough.   Plus I just love charcoal & gas
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 11:14:56 PM »
Richard, I'm still with...no pelletizer here...yet.

I'm almost exclusively charcoal.  Now and  then I'll use the offset smoker.

Jaxon I was 90/10 gas when the kids were young but each year charcoal has been growing as the kids get older (more time). By far for me it is the taste of charcoal that I love as it beats all in my book. Now that I have the 22 I hope this year it will be 75/25 charcoal. In a perfect world i would love a PG to play with but not now. For tailgating I am 95/5 gas over charcoal. I do also love the big easy.

I must also add I like the taste of a gas grill...Ok what taste lol. Food does have a taste from gas & i do love it. As I have said before Smoke in food is not my thing. Charcoal gives me all I need. It must be the yankee in me lol

Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 12:39:03 AM »
When the rain hits, I just open another beer!
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline akjeff

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 12:57:16 AM »
I'm in the "keep cooking" when it rains camp. So far, my MAK 2 Star has worked perfectly in rain, snow, wind, and all of the above.

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline rwalters

Pellet Grills what do you do in the middle of a cook & the rains come
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 01:16:57 AM »
I cook under a patio cover now... but prior to this, I cooked MANY a meals in pouring rain with my old MAK 1 Star.  Never had an issue. 
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 08:06:28 AM »

Tee you are right I am sure for most but money is important for me now & the risk is high enough.   Plus I just love charcoal & gas

The money part - I understand. The pang of conscience ( and that of the Mrs.' conscience at least I THINK that is the look I get when I come home with a new toy.... :D ) and the fact that it is something new to you which may change your life for the better ( just ribbon' you - but not completely un-true... ;) :D) are things most of us struggle with.
If you have eaten a steak in a fine dining establishment - that uses a REAL wood fired grill, and IF you loved the food....then you will love what pellet grilling can bring to your table. The taste is a little different from charcoal - but at least as good.
The pool is full...the water temp. is fine...Jump on in! ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 10:38:31 AM »
My MAK 2 Star is on my grill uncovered.  I have used it in all types of weather (rain, snow, sleet) and have had no problems with it.

Same here. MAK electronics are pretty well sealed from the elements.

Now having said that if I know it's going or rain or snow, I tend to setup a EZ-UP canopy over top, just to be safe and even more so the cook chamber doesn't cool off from the rain.  Oh...  and so I can have somewhere to stand and not get drenched while checking on food, etc.

In the case of extreme cold weather with snow on the ground when it's hard to get the grill out (like this week), I leave it just inside our storage shed and open the doors. That way it's out of direct wind and snow, and it can get plenty of air circulation.

My MAK 2 Star is on my grill uncovered.  I have used it in all types of weather (rain, snow, sleet) and have had no problems with it.
    I wonder if they are all that way as I have seen PG's & rain don't mix..........

No they are not all that way.  And it's not just the electronics and how they're protected; it's also the hopper design and how well the pellets are protected. I'd follow the manufacturer's recommendation. 

My Weber/Stoven combo, for example, is NOT recommended for open use in rainy conditions. 

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 03:03:22 PM »
It looks like MAk can weather the storm but in my price range I will not buy one. I do agree Tee that learning a new toy is fun.

When I got into Backyard movies in 2008 I reasearched to death projectors, movie screens audio etc. When i built my system I was 95% happy as all I had to upgrade two years later was my projector cart. Tbis is my tenth year with no major upgrades in the books. Now if my refurb projector gets caught in the rain someday I am ahead of the game even though I have a cover ready for a sudden storm. I did blow out a speaker last year  & needed to replace it this year but it was money well spent. Just like here most forum members are upgrading all the time.

Getting back to grills I know my Sears grill with four burners plus a side burner plus a folding table is fantastic for me. I bought it at a great price just like our hitch mount Jets tailgate grill. I know the bottom of the sears grill will rust out in a few years maybe even this year..... year number five but for the price it gave me everything I need & more.  In the same price range I can buy a new grill that has the lastest of what I want. Funny thing is I had a Weber Genesis grill new in 1987 & it was not very good. It was given to me as a gift but did not cook well or hold up well.  Now with the weber kettles they will last for 20 years or more but that is the price they are sold at. So the value is there.

I do see myself buying a PG in the future but it will be on my terms & when I am ready. Maybe even when my sears dies as I do have a couple of backup gassers at the ready ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 10:32:06 PM »
Another MAK owner whose has cooked in the rain. When it pours hard which is rare in California I do use something to shield the water off. tied a umbrella to a chair once and had it protect the electronics which you should be able to do on most grills

Offline Hub

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 07:22:25 AM »

I've been smoking and grilling on pellet machines for about a decade now.  I've done it in all kinds of weather.  Both of my cookers have gotten wet but kept on cooking, safely, because they were designed to operate in a reasonable rain situation.  No, they won't cook underwater.  Yes, I have GFI receptacles.  Yes, I keep them covered or under cover when I'm not using them.  Common sense.

As to pellets turning to concrete yes, they will if they get wet.  Keeping them dry is easy.  I use a pool storage box (that sits out in the rain but doesn't let rain inside it) or keep them under my cook shack (carport).  No big deal.  The only time I ever had any wet pellets was my fault when I stupidly left an open bag of them near the edge of my cook shack and a heavy, blowing rain the next day got to them.  Like a bag of charcoal I once left on my open back porch I can't really blame the fuel itself for my inattention.

If you are going to regularly spend a lot of time cooking in heavy rain and have no way whatsoever to protect your cooker or fuel from the elements then gas is the only way to go.  Charcoal, like pellets, doesn't function when wet and electrical appliances (sump pumps being an exception  :D) don't mix well with water.  Wet wood in a stick burner is problematical, too.

. . . cook on through the wind, cook on through the rain, and you'll never walk alone . . .  ;).  It's the good groceries that count, and whatever you use to cook them works!  The alternative is horrible to ponder (cooking indoors on appliances with no "soul")  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 08:25:02 AM »
Hub is wise.

Gonna do a pork butt tomorrow in the pellet grill and our forecast is rain all day..............soldier on..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline stalag

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 10:36:16 AM »

I've been smoking and grilling on pellet machines for about a decade now.  I've done it in all kinds of weather.  Both of my cookers have gotten wet but kept on cooking, safely, because they were designed to operate in a reasonable rain situation.  No, they won't cook underwater.  Yes, I have GFI receptacles.  Yes, I keep them covered or under cover when I'm not using them.  Common sense.

As to pellets turning to concrete yes, they will if they get wet.  Keeping them dry is easy.  I use a pool storage box (that sits out in the rain but doesn't let rain inside it) or keep them under my cook shack (carport).  No big deal.  The only time I ever had any wet pellets was my fault when I stupidly left an open bag of them near the edge of my cook shack and a heavy, blowing rain the next day got to them.  Like a bag of charcoal I once left on my open back porch I can't really blame the fuel itself for my inattention.

If you are going to regularly spend a lot of time cooking in heavy rain and have no way whatsoever to protect your cooker or fuel from the elements then gas is the only way to go.  Charcoal, like pellets, doesn't function when wet and electrical appliances (sump pumps being an exception  :D) don't mix well with water.  Wet wood in a stick burner is problematical, too.

. . . cook on through the wind, cook on through the rain, and you'll never walk alone . . .  ;).  It's the good groceries that count, and whatever you use to cook them works!  The alternative is horrible to ponder (cooking indoors on appliances with no "soul")  ;D

Hub

A gallon or so of liquid oxygen will sort out the wet fuel problem......
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline Roget

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 11:32:21 AM »
Will pellets draw moisture if stored outdoors (in bags, in a storage tub, on a covered deck)??
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Pappymn

Pellet Grills what do you do in the middle of a cook & the rains come
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 11:57:51 AM »
Will pellets draw moisture if stored outdoors (in bags, in a storage tub, on a covered deck)??
I use a five gallon bucket with a screw on lid with a gasket and have not had any issues with moisture
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 12:12:04 PM »
Those 5 gallon "Homer" buckets at the Depot with lids are great storage for bbq pellets. They also stack nicely and you can label them with the type of wood pellet. Handy if you mix and match different "flavors".
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32