Author Topic: Different pellets and amount of smoke  (Read 4034 times)

Offline UWFSAE

Re: Different pellets and amount of smoke
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 08:50:42 PM »
@Smoke:  The Mak 3-Star is nothing short of awesome.  The capacity issue is what really swayed me towards the Blaz'n (especially over Yoder and RecTec).  Honestly, you've probably forgotten more about smokers and design advantage that I'll ever have ... but I do know the Blaz'n is a darn fine piece of equipment.  I can't wait to see you take on a new machine and start posting about it ... :)
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline rwalters

Different pellets and amount of smoke
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 12:09:45 AM »
The mak 1 stars in smoke mode produce the most smoke I have ever seen in a pellet grill.  I have owned traegers, green mountains, Memphis and maks.
Curious...was there anything you preferred on the Memphis over the MAK 2 Star?

All the stainless was nice and loved the controller.  It was easy to use.  I also loved that the drip pan came off easily to get to the firebox.  With the mak you have to take a lot of stuff off to get to the firebox.  But, my mak holds better temp control and the shelving was a lot better.  Love my mak.  Thinking of selling my 2 star to get the 1 star.  The 1 star would be a lot easier to get in and out of my truck and now that they are both the same size cooking grates is perfect.
Did you use your Memphis as a grill and/or for searing?  Would you say the Memphis is superior to the MAK when used as a grill vs smoker?  Or, in your opinion does the MAK hold its own against the Memphis even though it can’t hit those super high temps like the Memphis?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 09:33:38 AM »
I know the Memphis line of grills are awesome, but if I am correct, I understand that Memphis changed"cheapened" the stainless used on their grills.

They will now be prone to exterior rusting, just like the new line from Rec Tec.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »
I know the Memphis line of grills are awesome, but if I am correct, I understand that Memphis changed"cheapened" the stainless used on their grills.

They will now be prone to exterior rusting, just like the new line from Rec Tec.
Where did you hear that? From everything I see and read, they still offer the Pro in 430 and 304, and I believe the Elite only comes in 304 (at least I haven’t noticed it being offered in 430). If you buy a Memphis with 304, that the same grade of SS that MAK uses.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 09:43:12 AM »
I have heard it from numerous sources..one is a Memphis dealer .however if Memphis sticks with 304, all will be fine.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline rwalters

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »
Boy, that would be a shame to see them offer less then 304, with no upgrade option, at the price point of a Memphis.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 10:17:19 AM »
Boy, that would be a shame to see them offer less then 304, with no upgrade option, at the price point of a Memphis.

Several years ago Memphis went to 430 as their standard offering on their grills. The public outcry may have caused them to rethink that so now in some models they now offer 304 as an "upgrade"....or extra cost. See what happe ed there?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 10:57:38 AM »

Several years ago Memphis went to 430 as their standard offering on their grills. The public outcry may have caused them to rethink that so now in some models they now offer 304 as an "upgrade"....or extra cost. See what happe ed there?
That’s what I thought. I see it as an option now. Doesn’t the Elite only come in 304?  As much as I love my MAK 2 Star... there’s just something about the Elite that has always held my attention...

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 01:52:02 PM »

That’s what I thought. I see it as an option now. Doesn’t the Elite only come in 304?  As much as I love my MAK 2 Star... there’s just something about the Elite that has always held my attention...

Memphis - like Rec Tec...has a distinctive, eye catching "style".  But, like all quality relationships..."It's what is on the inside that counts".... ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 02:01:23 PM »

Memphis - like Rec Tec...has a distinctive, eye catching "style".  But, like all quality relationships..."It's what is on the inside that counts".... ;D
Oh man, that’s deep...you left me with goosebumps :-)~

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 02:56:49 PM »

That's how Mrs Tee justified picking him
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 03:17:28 PM »
Never judge a book by it's cover....sometimes the pages are blank..... ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 08:06:46 PM »
So how much does Pappy pay for his monthly dues these days??   He must work part time to be able to hang around here   :0
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 09:15:20 PM »
The Memphis will  get up to 650 and grills great but I use my weber kettle with grill grates for searing stuff.  When you get a pellet grill  up to 650-700 (elite) a lot of things get very hot.  The handle you have to use leather gloves to open.  I use my mak and WSM for smoking stuff.  The elite only comes in 304 and the pro comes in 304 & 403 stainless.  I owned a elite for a while.  Way, way too much grill.  You burn a lot of pellets with the elite.  I could own any pellet grill I want.  I own a mak for a reason. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 09:20:58 PM »
So how much does Pappy pay for his monthly dues these days??   He must work part time to be able to hang around here   :0

( he did confess that a 2nd mortgage may be in order to keep up his payments.... ;) :D)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401