Author Topic: BASIC BRISKET for the Beginner  (Read 38939 times)

Offline DK117

Re: BASIC BRISKET for the Beginner
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 02:36:03 PM »
my 2 cents.  I'm on about 10 briskets.  A few have been home runs, one over cooked but made great pulled beef.  And then there was last weekend.  Disaster.  18.5 pounder (home runs were under 14).  Didn't foil until 175.  Rested for 90 minutes before slicing.  Even the burnt ends where tough.  Had a roasty taste.  (I did inject)  While I trimmed, it seemed the fat didn't totally render out.  Initially moist and 201 IT, but something went wrong.

So I'm still in beginner status here, but I have read that some briskets just don't turn out.  I didn't deviate from my normal basic brisket, but the end product was simply not desirable.  I'm now back to tentative on if I want to try again soon and spend $42 on something that I'll throw out leftovers of which there were plenty.

DK117
Traeger Texas 075
Vermont Castings Signature Series Natural Gas Grill

Offline Hub

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 03:13:26 PM »
. . . Didn't foil until 175.  Rested for 90 minutes before slicing.  Even the burnt ends where tough.  Had a roasty taste.  (I did inject)  While I trimmed, it seemed the fat didn't totally render out.  Initially moist and 201 IT, but something went wrong.

. . . I have read that some briskets just don't turn out.  I didn't deviate from my normal basic brisket, but the end product was simply not desirable.  I'm now back to tentative on if I want to try again soon and spend $42 on something that I'll throw out leftovers of which there were plenty.

DK117

My gut feel is that the late foiling may have been at least part of the problem.  However, I also agree with you that there are briskets which just don't seem to want to be cooked!  All the experienced brisket cooks I know have had one or two do that.  My last brisket was a twenty pounder that shrunk to about 14 after trimming (and I leave a lot of fat on for flavor)!  I cooked it to 195 IT, my usual pull point, and it fell apart like hamburger.  Go figure.  The folks who ate it raved about how good it was so I just rolled my eyes and didn't tell them I could do it better.  Keep on cookin!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline DK117

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »
. . . Didn't foil until 175.  Rested for 90 minutes before slicing.  Even the burnt ends where tough.  Had a roasty taste.  (I did inject)  While I trimmed, it seemed the fat didn't totally render out.  Initially moist and 201 IT, but something went wrong.

. . . I have read that some briskets just don't turn out.  I didn't deviate from my normal basic brisket, but the end product was simply not desirable.  I'm now back to tentative on if I want to try again soon and spend $42 on something that I'll throw out leftovers of which there were plenty.

DK117

My gut feel is that the late foiling may have been at least part of the problem.  However, I also agree with you that there are briskets which just don't seem to want to be cooked!  All the experienced brisket cooks I know have had one or two do that.  My last brisket was a twenty pounder that shrunk to about 14 after trimming (and I leave a lot of fat on for flavor)!  I cooked it to 195 IT, my usual pull point, and it fell apart like hamburger.  Go figure.  The folks who ate it raved about how good it was so I just rolled my eyes and didn't tell them I could do it better.  Keep on cookin!

Hub
I think you've got it nailed, but I was rather shocked at the 20 degree or so late foiling could alone destroy my brisket.  I'll try again, but several things I'd like to work on first.  Specifically this weekend (ok brisket again) corned beef smoked into pastrami for a st paddy's day  (I'm afraid I learned that one from you too.)  I got a 12 pounder pre corned from Cash N Carry. 

Thanks

DK117
Traeger Texas 075
Vermont Castings Signature Series Natural Gas Grill

Offline Hub

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »

I think you've got it nailed, but I was rather shocked at the 20 degree or so late foiling could alone destroy my brisket.  I'll try again, but several things I'd like to work on first.  Specifically this weekend (ok brisket again) corned beef smoked into pastrami for a st paddy's day  (I'm afraid I learned that one from you too.)  I got a 12 pounder pre corned from Cash N Carry. 

Thanks

DK117

Woooo -- I wish I could find a twelve pounder.  I always have to make do with two or three little ones.  They still make great EZ pastrami, though.

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »
This thread will be very helpful tomorrow when I do my brisket!! Thank you

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2013, 07:10:02 PM »
In the directions on the first page it says to return the point for burnt ends on high heat, About what temp is that, as I consider high heat to start at about 400° F and don't want to make my own briquettes :)

Offline Hub

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2013, 07:34:06 AM »
You can do burnt ends anywhere from 250 to 400 -- just keep an eye on 'em.  I usually cube the point into approx. 1 inch cubes then "roast" them with fairly heavy sauce applied until they are tender and moist. 

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 07:53:29 AM »
You can do burnt ends anywhere from 250 to 400 -- just keep an eye on 'em.  I usually cube the point into approx. 1 inch cubes then "roast" them with fairly heavy sauce applied until they are tender and moist. 

Hub
Thank you, I think I procrastinated to long and I think that brisket will have to wait until another day. I just don't want to be sitting outside at midnight tonight waiting for it to get to 195° F :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:31:10 AM by Keymaster »

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »
So If I follow these instructions can I expect cooking time to be 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound at 250° F.? Yes that same brisket just came out of the deep freeze ;)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
At 250 (with the occasional 20 degree fluctuation up or down), I normally am in the 1 to 1.5 hour /lb range.  I don't tend to get into the 1.5 to 2 hour range unless I am running 225 or lower.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »
At 250 (with the occasional 20 degree fluctuation up or down), I normally am in the 1 to 1.5 hour /lb range.  I don't tend to get into the 1.5 to 2 hour range unless I am running 225 or lower.
Thanks Billy, I have watched a few YouTube videos since my initial question and you sound right in tune with most videos. I have read so many recipes with conflicting times I chose not to make the brisket today. I am getting up bright and early and putting that bad boy on the primo in the morning.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
It is still better to give yourself extra time and FTC if you need to hold it than to wait for meat to finish.  Brisket holds very well.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2013, 08:28:47 PM »
It is still better to give yourself extra time and FTC if you need to hold it than to wait for meat to finish.  Brisket holds very well.
I have been contemplating an overnight cook but that is against my better judgment, I have the new maverick that would alert me of high temps but I don't even hear the phone ring when sound asleep and its 2 feet from my ear :) So.... Tomorrow morning hopefully on at 4 AM.. Thanks for the tips

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2014, 04:41:12 PM »
  I have not cooked enough brisket yet so I come here and see whats being discussed when I do.  Today I started a tip that I have saved from a previous hamburger batch. 
  It is at 165 right now so I will foil it and hope its not to late!

Thanks for any and all "how to" posts. I like to see what others do and have integrated several ideas together over the years to reach a method I like myself.
I must go tent now...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline chitownfrio

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2014, 06:05:12 PM »
Hub,

Roughly how many hours at 220-235 to get the IT to 190?