Author Topic: Ball tip steak roast?  (Read 74534 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Ball tip steak roast?
« Reply #-1 on: August 14, 2014, 11:58:16 AM »
I was in Sandman's for beer and he sold me this 10 lb. ball tip steak roast at a great buy. Can you tell me anything about this Rumm and anyone who has ideas on how to cook it would be appreciated. Sandman and I both have Traegers and he also has a PBC. Smokin Don

[attachment deleted by admin]
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Ball tip steak roast?
« on: August 14, 2014, 01:08:05 PM »
To me that looks like a good candidate for sous vide, seared, then sliced.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 01:31:02 PM »
I agree with LVC on that cut Don... And - don't trim the fat off if you Sous Vide- until after the ride in the hot tub.....

Of course, Ball Tip makes some fine jerky if you do trim it up, and slice it very thin....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 02:09:13 PM »
Assuming you are looking to cook it in a traditional manner, I would say either a long slow braise or fast to medium rare then refrigerated and thin sliced against the grain for sandwich meat.  Ball tip is a lean cut.  You are going to need to treat it as such.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Sandman

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
I agree with LVC on that cut Don... And - don't trim the fat off if you Sous Vide- until after the ride in the hot tub.....

Of course, Ball Tip makes some fine jerky if you do trim it up, and slice it very thin....
I already had jerky on my mind! Thinking of trying to do a pulled beef too.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 11:56:26 PM »
Sandman e-mailed me and said the box the roasts came in said flank steak. The grain runs long ways and looks a little like flank steak but I never saw one that thick. Sous vide is out for me I don't have one. I will probably do it to 135 IT and then slice thin after overnight in the fridge. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 05:08:44 AM »
I was in Sandman's for beer and he sold me this 10 lb. ball tip steak roast at a great buy. Can you tell me anything about this Rumm and anyone who has ideas on how to cook it would be appreciated. Sandman and I both have Traegers and he also has a PBC. Smokin Don

Not sure what you have there, unless it's a bag of Ball Tips??? A Ball Tip weighs 2 lbs at most.

I've got a bag of Ball-Tip Bottom Sirloins. The Ball-Tip is part of the Bottom Sirloin, the other two parts being the Tri-Tip and the Flap Meat. You very rarely see the whole Ball-Tip in supermarkets, as they slice them into steaks and market them as Petite Sirloin Steaks and/or Sizzler Steaks.

This is what they look like from the top. Very little trimming is required.

And the bottom view. There is a small wedge of fat that should be removed before cooking, however it's not necessary. Notice how much the Ball-Tip resembles the face of a Round Sirloin Tip? This is where the Round is separated from the Sirloin on a cow. The Ball-Tip basically is an extension of the Round Tip Roast.

Here is the bottom view again after I've cut out the fat.

I've taken a little off the top, but not much. If you want to cut this into steaks, start about where the white lines are and cut against the grain about 1¼" inches thick. The steaks 'may' need marinating, but I prefer to cook the roast whole.

I've coated with Dale's Sauce and then a good rubbing of my steak rub (Kosher Salt, garlic, pepper and Turbinado Sugar)

These were cooked at approx 400° direct for about 15 minutes a side.

This is a little over cooked for me. Slice thin against the grain. You'll find it a very tender and tasty piece of meat.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 12:43:05 PM »
That looks outstanding, even if it is a little overdone.  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 02:57:26 PM »
Crab claws went on the last five minutes just to get the chill off of them  :P

I was out numbered on the doneness of the steak  :-[
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 04:18:55 PM »

I refuse to cook any steak beyond med-rare, if someone else wants it more done than that I point them to the microwave and let them do the damage.  :P
----------------------

Offline Pappymn

Ball tip steak roast?
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 07:01:47 PM »

I refuse to cook any steak beyond med-rare, if someone else wants it more done than that I point them to the microwave and let them do the damage.  :P

I basically do the same thing. I tell people I only know how to cook to medium rare
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 05:46:51 PM »

I basically do the same thing. I tell people I only know how to cook to medium rare

I almost always agree, but a very well marbled ribeye is at its best when it just touches medium IMO.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 06:00:23 PM »
I almost always agree, but a very well marbled ribeye is at its best when it just touches medium IMO.

And there  is a very good reason for that ;) . The temps. needed to get the fats to begin to dissolve and moisturize the meat to it's greatest potential ;D....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »

And there  is a very good reason for that ;) . The temps. needed to get the fats to begin to dissolve and moisturize the meat to it's greatest potential ;D....

Ding, ding, ding... and we have a winner!  ;D