Author Topic: Raw Oyster Myths  (Read 71977 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Raw Oyster Myths
« Reply #-1 on: August 29, 2014, 12:07:02 PM »
This may be of interest to those that enjoy raw oysters.

<a href="http://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/healtheducators/ucm085385.htm">Raw Oyster Myths</a>
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Raw Oyster Myths
« on: August 29, 2014, 12:18:52 PM »
From the Food Safety News website.

<a href="http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/10/florida-warns-residents-of-eating-raw-oysters/">There's Risk In Eating Raw Oysters</a>
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 01:21:15 PM »
The deaths from driving & guns exceed oyster deaths by a factor of 200 times & I do both!
We all make decisions of risk & reward hundreds of times a day.
In the words of the song ......." I take my chances"

New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »
Love the song!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 03:27:09 PM »
From <a href="http://safeoysters.org/consumers/eating.html">Safe Oysters</a>

Who should avoid eating raw oysters?

Certain medically compromised individuals have an increased risk of serious illness or death from eating raw molluscan shellfish. Although these illnesses and fatalities are rare, medically compromised individuals are urged to abstain from eating raw or undercooked molluscan shellfish. At greatest risk are persons with liver, stomach, or blood disorders; individuals with AIDS, diabetes, cancer, or kidney disease; and chronic alcohol abusers. Those uncertain of their health status should seek the advice of their physician.

Being diabetic this is the reason I'm very careful about what I eat. 
----------------------

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 03:35:16 PM »
We are all going to die.  That being said, I like oysters better cooked.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »
<a href="http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/UCM211147.pdf">Food-borne Illness Contaminants</a>

OYSTER FACTS

• Oysters are sometimes contaminated with the naturally occurring bacteria Vibrio vulnificus.
• Oysters contaminated with Vibrio vulnificus can’t be detected by smell or sight; they look like other oysters.
• Eating raw oysters containing Vibrio vulnificus is very dangerous for those with pre-existing medical conditions such as liver disease, diabetes, hepatitis, cancer and HIV.
• Symptoms of Vibrio vulnificus contamination include: diarrhea, fever, nausea, vomiting, and skin lesions.
• 50 percent of people who are infected with Vibrio vulnificus as a result of eating raw contaminated oysters die.
• Eating raw oysters with hot sauce or while drinking alcohol does not kill the bacteria.
• Only heat can destroy the bacteria. In order to prevent contamination, and kill the bacteria, the oysters should be thoroughly cooked.

Did You Know?

• People who drink alcoholic beverages (including beer and wine) regularly may be at risk for liver disease, and, as a result, at risk for serious illness or death from consuming raw oysters.
• Even drinking two to three drinks daily can contribute to the development of liver disease, which may occur without symptoms.
• Alcoholism and infections from Hepatitis can injure the liver and impair its function years before an individual begins to experience symptoms. Liver disease puts people at risk for Vibrio vulnificus infection from raw oysters. The risk of death is almost 200 times greater in those with liver disease than those without liver disease.
----------------------

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »
We are all going to die.  That being said, I like oysters better cooked.

I love oysters cooked as well as raw, I've been eating raw oysters all my life and enjoy them as much as cooked.  Being diabetic and with all this evidence of eating raw oysters has on those of us with compromised immune systems has me thinking that maybe I should give up raw oysters from the Gulf of Mexico. Looks like charbroiled oysters will become my choice over raw oysters.  ;)
----------------------

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 05:13:06 PM »
Keeping a perspective
Food acquired vibriosis 20 deaths/ year USA
Alcohols death cause about 90000/ year USA
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:16:57 PM by LostArrow »
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »
Keeping a perspective
Food acquired vibriosis 20 / year USA
Alcohols death cause about 90000/ year USA

I think I could pick the odds for this group...... :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 07:20:10 PM »
But how do you eat raw oysters safely? And the risk has to be less than being hit by lightning,20 deaths,big deal.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 11:37:26 PM »
But how do you eat raw oysters safely? And the risk has to be less than being hit by lightning,20 deaths,big deal.

It really depends on the individuals immune system, and where the oysters come from and what time of the year, lots of variables from what I have gathered.

For those of us with comprised immune systems, in my case diabetes, gulf water oysters during the summer months (May-Aug) pose the biggest threat.  Even during the winter months there is a health risk to those with compromised immune systems.

The stats I read are 60% of illnesses from gulf water oysters occur during the 4 months of summer (May-Aug) and the other 40% occur during the other 8 months (Sep-Apr).  The chances of getting a foodborne illness from gulf coast oysters greatly decreases during the months of Sep-Apr but the risk is still there.

Anyone without a compromised immune system can eat oysters from anywhere anytime of the year.  Those of us with compromised immune systems are at risk from gulf coast oysters any time of the year and should be mindful of this.
----------------------

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 11:43:06 PM »
The old adage " only eat oysters during months with an "R" in their name" means something. The warmer temps. of the waters - the higher the bacterial counts. Just nature in action.

Still.  I *DO* love them fresh - big, fat Gulf Coast oysters..... But it makes sense to be informed and consider the risks. The same would apply to under-cooked meats, and sushi I suppose.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 12:11:27 AM »
The old adage " only eat oysters during months with an "R" in their name" means something. The warmer temps. of the waters - the higher the bacterial counts. Just nature in action.

Still.  I *DO* love them fresh - big, fat Gulf Coast oysters..... But it makes sense to be informed and consider the risks. The same would apply to undercooked meats, and sushi I suppose.

I also love those big fat Gulf Coast oysters......but with a compromised immune system it's a much higher risk to eat them raw.  The following link also addresses under cooked foods for individuals with compromised immune systems, those individuals have to be careful of all undercooked foods.

This from the USDA about <a href="http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/chapter10.htm">Food Safety</a>

Considerations for Specific Population Groups

Some people may be at high risk for developing foodborne illness. These include pregnant women and their fetuses, young children, older adults, people with weakened immune systems, and individuals with certain chronic illnesses. These people should pay extra attention to food safety advice.
----------------------

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 08:38:47 AM »
I think it is always a good idea to understand the safety issues and then decide what they mean to each of us as individuals.
Obviously one should desire to err on the part of caution. Your long term health should be of greater concern than a momentary craving.

Now.....if I can follow my own advice..... ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401