Author Topic: Raw Oyster Myths  (Read 71871 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Raw Oyster Myths
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 10:53:12 AM »
I think it is always a good idea to understand the safety issues and then decide what they mean to each of us as individuals.
Obviously one should desire to err on the part of caution. Your long term health should be of greater concern than a momentary craving.

Now.....if I can follow my own advice..... ;D

You nailed it right there, my goal is to try not be one of the statistics mentioned below.

<a href="http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/chapter10.htm">Food Safety</a>

Avoiding foods that are contaminated with harmful bacteria, viruses, parasites, toxins, and chemical and physical contaminants are vital for healthful eating. The signs and symptoms of foodborne illness range from gastrointestinal symptoms, such as upset stomach, diarrhea, fever, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and dehydration, to more severe systemic illness, such as paralysis and meningitis. It is estimated that every year about 76 million people in the United States become ill from pathogens in food; of these, about 5,000 die. Consumers can take simple measures to reduce their risk of foodborne illness, especially in the home.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 11:04:02 AM »
Keeping a perspective
Food acquired vibriosis 20 deaths/ year USA
Alcohols death cause about 90000/ year USA

So if I drink enough alcohol when I eat raw oysters, I will die from alcohol related causes so therefore it is safe for me to eat raw oysters. (My rationale and I am sticking to it.)
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »
Those that consume alcohol on a regular basis and raw oysters are at risk also according to the <a href="http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/UCM211147.pdf">FDA</a>

People who drink alcoholic beverages (including beer and wine) regularly may be at risk for liver disease, and, as a result, at risk for serious illness or death from consuming raw oysters.
• Even drinking two to three drinks daily can contribute to the development of liver disease, which may occur without symptoms.
• Alcoholism and infections from Hepatitis can injure the liver and impair its function years before an individual begins to experience symptoms. Liver disease puts people at risk for Vibrio vulnificus infection from raw oysters. The risk of death is almost 200 times greater in those with liver disease than those without liver disease.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »
Studies have shown that drinking at least 2  alcoholic drinks a day can increase your life by 5 years. If 2 drinks helps you live 5 years longer, I am never going to die.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »
While I do understand your position, Cajun, I do not allow stats to influence me too much.

Take my dad, he just turned 80. 

He's smoked 2-3 packs a day sic he was 18.  Should be dead, right?  While he does have COPD, his lungs are clear of any of the really bad stuff.  He's been a, much more than, social drinker most of his life (ask Hub), and his liver is doing great.

On the down side, he's waaay overweight and doesn't get much physical activity.  But, his mind is as sharp as it ever was.

Good genes, I guess (except for weight part).  I hope so, anyway, because, for what it's worth, I seem to following in my father's footsteps.

As far as the oysters go, I lived on the Chesapeake Bay for 7 years.  The locals tonged oysters when it was cold and fished crab pots when it was warm.  So, I'll be sticking with the "R" rule.  I figure if they didn't think it was worth their time to pull outta the water in May, June, July, or August, I won't be eating then either.  That's why they invented Oysters Rockefeller, isn't it?

Besides, those are the months I got those great soft-shell crab sammies ! ! ! !

BD

The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
From the <a href="http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/alcohol/art-20044551">Mayo Clinic</a>

Health benefits of moderate alcohol use

Moderate alcohol consumption may provide some health benefits. It may:

Reduce your risk of developing and dying from heart disease

Possibly reduce your risk of ischemic stroke (when the arteries to your brain become narrowed or blocked, causing severely reduced blood flow)

Possibly reduce your risk of diabetes

Even so, the evidence about the possible health benefits of alcohol isn't certain, and alcohol may not benefit everyone who drinks.

Drink alcohol only in moderation — or not at all

The latest dietary guidelines make it clear that no one should begin drinking or drink more frequently on the basis of potential health benefits. So don't feel pressured to drink alcohol. But if you do drink alcohol and you're healthy, there's probably no need to stop as long as you drink responsibly and in moderation.

My conclusion on this is that there is no clear evidence that drinking, even 1-2 drinks a day IS a health benefit.  It's all muddy water when it comes to the health benefits of consuming even moderate amounts of alcohol.
----------------------

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 05:02:26 PM »
Youre opening up the wider topic of what is healthy,and what isnt.

We are so lucky to have at our fingertips the greatest trove of knowledge ever. Once you decide to get on the health topic,you sure can learn a lot,and apply what works for you.

Been a huge eye opener for me,thats for sure.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 05:31:57 PM »
Youre opening up the wider topic of what is healthy,and what isnt.

We are so lucky to have at our fingertips the greatest trove of knowledge ever. Once you decide to get on the health topic,you sure can learn a lot,and apply what works for you.

Been a huge eye opener for me,thats for sure.

Amen!!!

After I was Dx with Type-II seven years ago it was a game changer for me. ;)
----------------------

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 06:00:41 PM »
Studies have shown that drinking at least 2  alcoholic drinks a day can increase your life by 5 years. If 2 drinks helps you live 5 years longer, I am never going to die.

I'm gonna work on adding about decade or so this very evening!

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 10:49:27 AM »
The deaths from driving & guns exceed oyster deaths by a factor of 200 times & I do both!
We all make decisions of risk & reward hundreds of times a day.
In the words of the song ......." I take my chances"

Darn it folks there goes my driving my car while eating oysters & cleaning my gun. It saved a lot of time.

Everything that feels/tastes good kills you ???
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 11:09:38 AM »
As long as you do not get confused about the different in the 2 "shells" involved in both guns, and oysters.... ;) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 12:07:54 PM »
As long as you do not get confused about the different in the 2 "shells" involved in both guns, and oysters.... ;) ;D

LOL  Hey I had the idea of playing golf in a thunder storm......I had the course all to myself ??? ???  ;D

Thomas Paine said it best 200+ years ago. That & a little luck & you should get by in life.

I do like raw Oyster but never eat them these days....
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 04:27:41 PM »
I miss them too. But - I wore them out in New Orleans last spring :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline djm3801

• Food is love.
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 09:43:02 AM »
Well knowledge is power and you learn and make decisions. As a 67 year old guy with a metal hip, I sold my motorcycle 7 years ago. Had fun, no one got hurt, and I realize I am not invulnerable. My wife liked to ride with me and I hated riding 2 up, and she gradually found it difficult to ride due to arthritis. So I quit. Been there, done that, no one got hurt.

Yeah - when I see old guys on bikes I sometimes say "why not me?" I also see old guys in wheel chairs and say "Why not me?" Will try to protect the health I have. Yes, I may do a half dozen oysters on occasion but I did get hepatitis from bad clams back in 1965. At least they said it was that - went to Jersey Shore after graduation and ate a ton of them over 3 days...

With respect to aphrodisiac values, my old boss used to say "I ate a dozen oysters last night and only 9 of them worked."

Food - It's all good.

Char Broil 4 burner RED
Big Easy
Masterbuilt 40" ss electric smoker
WSM 18"
Large Big Green Egg
Roundboy wood burning pizza oven
Master Grill 3 burner
18" Old Smokey
Chef's Choice 610 slicer - Great tool
New Pit Barrel Cooker (PCB)
Retired Char Broil smoker (RIP old friend)

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 11:56:59 AM »
Keeping a perspective
Food acquired vibriosis 20 deaths/ year USA
Alcohols death cause about 90000/ year USA

I should already be dead.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware