Author Topic: Bacon is Bad For You  (Read 41252 times)

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Bacon is Bad For You
« Reply #-1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:03:28 AM »
Everyone probably is seeing this article and it was on network news last night.  I would like to hear input from members of the forum on what they think.  Since bacon was a main item, I wonder how our home made bacon would compare to processed bacon mentioned in the article?  I eat a lot of red meat, but also lots of the others.

On Monday, the France-based International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) came out with the strongest findings yet that processed meat (like bacon and ham) causes colorectal cancer in humans.
The agency also found that red meat (beef, lamb, etc.) may increase your risk of developing the same type of cancer.

Colorectal cancer is the third-most common type of cancer in the US, according to the American Cancer Society.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Bacon is Bad For You
« on: October 27, 2015, 09:20:29 AM »
Yeah...I saw that too and have been doing some reading about the subject. No conclusions yet - but a couple of things to consider/question:

1. What is the impact of bacon/ham/cured meats when looking at the rest of the persons diet? Would we also see that these numbers are influenced by low fiber - and otherwise poor nutrition? If we stereotyped "heavy bacon eaters" in classic sense - we would think that all of us are over-weight, get no real physical exercise, and pay no attention to dietary supplementation.
But - we know that is not true. And - frankly every vegetarian - and vegan I know ( there are a lot around this area...) will tell you that they make an exception to their "meat -free" lifestyles for ...yep - BACON! :D

2. The bacon we can make at home can be made lower in Nitrite and Nitrate than commercially available ones. What is safer in the long term - vs - less safe in the short term is part of that equation. This points to the amount of added "cure" and not a topic I am comfortable with opining about yet. Cliff and others can add to the discussion in that area.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:26:28 AM »
I think that the homemade bacon is better for you than processed bacon from the big chain groceries. Any of the processed meats contain additives for longer shelf life. I will not stop eating bacon or red meat because of the article.
A host of things were said to be bad for you but now are good for you. I was raised on pork and beef. My Mom ate ham and bacon all her life and is 93.

I get about all my meat from a local butcher. All his fresh brats and sausage contain no preservatives, just seasoning.
If you can find a local small butcher I think you can eat a lot safer than buying from the big markets. My late night snack last night was a cold slice of jowl bacon! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »
People have died from ingesting too much water at one time and yet have I never heard of someone dying from eating too much bacon in one sitting. Therefore water is more dangerous than bacon. I am sticking with beer and bacon just to be on the safe side.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:53:28 AM »
I know of no one on this forum or in my circle of friends who have had colorectal cancer.

Just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 11:22:53 AM »
You see guys on the news who are 102 and they say they have had two hot dogs for lunch since the 1950's........

Bacon please  8) 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 12:39:23 PM »
I pay very little attention to 'studies'.More important is the makeup of those doing the study,or setting dietary guidelines.Agenda trumps science all too often.Conclusions based on a single parameter more suspect yet.Bring on the butter and eggs,thank you very much.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:45:01 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 01:41:40 PM »
I had most of these same feelings before I posted this subject.  I just wanted to confirm that I am not the only one out there with the same thoughts.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 02:34:50 PM »
So Kerry read the article, Checked it on Web MD for better info and then today at lunch she gave me two pieces of her bacon...   :D Then it sort of got me thinkin....  ???
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 02:38:15 PM »
So Kerry read the article, Checked it on Web MD for better info and then today at lunch she gave me two pieces of her bacon...   :D Then it sort of got me thinkin....  ???

ooopssss..... :)
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 02:38:39 PM »
I pay very little attention to 'studies'.More important is the makeup of those doing the study,or setting dietary guidelines.Agenda trumps science all too often.Conclusions based on a single parameter more suspect yet.Bring on the butter and eggs,thank you very much.
YUP!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Hub

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 03:24:36 PM »
We've got to be honest.  Some foods are healthier than others.  Some foods are high in fiber and have more beneficial nutrients and vitamins.  For some very unfair reason, many of those foods don't inspire us to want to     eat great quantities of them.  They don't fill us up or they don't satisfy our desires for savory, enriching eating.  That makes us want more of foods that aren't as healthy, don't provide as much nutrition, or may even be harmful if eaten in high quantities and/or on a regular basis.

Given all of the above, it is best to maximize our "healthy" intake and save the fun food like bacon, fatty meats, sugars, and artificial additives for minimal consumption, occasionally, not making a steady diet of anything potentially harmful.  This doesn't mean we CANNOT eat it.  It just means we shouldn't live on it. 

We all have an organ that is supposed to help control this kind of sensible consumption.  It rests between our ears and is called a brain.  Most of us use it.  For those who do not or cannot, we have government warnings on packages. 

End of sermonette  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 04:45:21 PM »
We've got to be honest.  Some foods are healthier than others.  Some foods are high in fiber and have more beneficial nutrients and vitamins.  For some very unfair reason, many of those foods don't inspire us to want to     eat great quantities of them.  They don't fill us up or they don't satisfy our desires for savory, enriching eating.  That makes us want more of foods that aren't as healthy, don't provide as much nutrition, or may even be harmful if eaten in high quantities and/or on a regular basis.

Given all of the above, it is best to maximize our "healthy" intake and save the fun food like bacon, fatty meats, sugars, and artificial additives for minimal consumption, occasionally, not making a steady diet of anything potentially harmful.  This doesn't mean we CANNOT eat it.  It just means we shouldn't live on it. 

We all have an organ that is supposed to help control this kind of sensible consumption.  It rests between our ears and is called a brain.  Most of us use it.  For those who do not or cannot, we have government warnings on packages. 

End of sermonette  ::)

Hub

Says the guy with the Avatar of a bacon eating kittie  :D :D

Hub is spot on though...my Mama used to say "Everything in moderation".............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
I'll pick bacon over a bagel any day.
Driving is probably more dangerous that eating beef.

Everything in moderation.

Here's the thing. The human body is made of muscle fibers (amino acids, protein etc) and fat. Isn't that bacon?
I'll eat what I am. LOL
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 05:37:51 PM »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven