Author Topic: Curious - Why do we wrap? Not talking about Kanye either  (Read 34228 times)

Offline muralboy

Curious - Why do we wrap? Not talking about Kanye either
« Reply #-1 on: November 15, 2015, 03:25:49 AM »
Is there a culinary, scientific reason why we wrap meat tight in plastic wrap after a rub, as opposed to just putting it in a container with a cover or just on a platter?
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Curious - Why do we wrap? Not talking about Kanye either
« on: November 15, 2015, 03:32:09 AM »
I'm not sure, good question but I would think air tight would be better, just guessing.  I know there has to be a scientific reason.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 08:45:54 AM »
The question is a god one! And something that we often forget as potentially an important component in our getting the best outcome for our cooking.

We know that we must keep meats cold ( under 40F according to USDA guidelines ) in order to slow the growth of potential bacteria. So, we refrigerate our meats after prepping them. But, refrigeration extracts moisture from the air it is chilling - thus expediting evaporation from the surface of exposed meats.
So, part of the need to wrap is to keep moisture in place. And - while placing said piece of meat in a container will conserve moisture - it still allows for some surface oxidation of the meat's surface which can potential change the flavor of what you have worked to produce.

So, let's add this as some parallel/comparative methods and their similarities/differences:
When you want to marinade - whether it is via a dry or wet application - you are trying to get flavors into the meat. If the meat is immersed in a "brining" solution ( one which has a salt solution with a content higher in salt than in the meat in it's natural state - thus producing the osmosis we desire - a chemistry based "over-pressure" by the salt in the brine - causing the solutions in the meat to exchange it's internal fluids with the brine surround it to "equalize" with those surrounding it ) . This effect can be accelerated, and made even more efficient when does under vacuum. ( Google "vacuum marinade machines" ).

Open air dry brining under refrigeration is popular this time of year - for turkey.  We all like the skin of the bird to have an edible texture. The skin contains a good amount fats and water. So, when we rub seasonings including salts into the skin of the bird - we are helping to draw that moisture to the surface - which accelerates evaporation under refrigeration to assist in drying the skin.
Just be aware that if you have other pungent items in your fridge while dry brining - your protein that is being dry brined can adsorb some of those odors. Ideally, scan your fridge first and remove or seal up strong onions, etc.

Which of several methods, including vacuum sealing, wrapping, immersion in a container or open air dry brining is right or you? It all depends on the objective and the time that you have to plan and invest in the cook.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 04:49:14 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 09:59:28 AM »
For chicken I usually wet brine so no need to wrap. If I use a dry rub on a roast overnight I wrap tight in plastic wrap. For ribs anymore they are rubbed and placed on a sheet pan and I just cover the pan with plastic wrap. I used to wrap them but just covering the pan is easier and I don't note any difference. In my older age I do tend to look for shortcuts! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 07:34:50 PM »
Monkey see monkey do!!
I wrap tight when I'm dry brining, to contain the liquid so it can hopefully be pulled back into the meat.
As for tightly wrapping after applying rub, I don't see the point.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline muralboy

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »
thanks everyone for your feedback and info.  I've always been one who likes to know WHY we do what we do.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:40:18 PM by teesquare »
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 06:14:51 PM »
thanks everyone for your feedback and info.  I've always been one who likes to know WHY we do what we do.

Yeah, but now ya got me wondering....why does Kanye rap?  What in the heck is a Kanye?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 10:41:07 PM »

If we don't ask "why"...then we can't change/improve "how"..Can we? ;) No question is without merit - if we are asking in order to learn and improve a skill. It is why this forum exists...Well - that..and humor...see above :D ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401