Author Topic: Whole top Sirloin cutting up  (Read 33705 times)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Whole top Sirloin cutting up
« Reply #-1 on: January 02, 2016, 04:48:05 PM »
Would anyone recommend cutting up a whole top sirloin this way. I picked up a 19 pounder for $2.79/Lb kryopacked and have been hesitant on how I'm going to cut it up.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Whole top Sirloin cutting up
« on: January 02, 2016, 05:31:55 PM »
That looks like an excellent plan to me - but we have our own resident butcher on board - what do you say Rummm?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 05:58:36 PM »
I like what he did and how he explained everything.  He made it look easy.  Thank you for posting.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 07:44:33 PM »
I just started buying primals and its not that hard at all.I made a few mistakes but you will catch on real quick and make sure your knife is crazy sharp,makes all the difference.Restaurant Depot has super deals of under 3 dollar/ lb primal cuts of beef,and last one I did,my second Top Sirloin bottom,17 lbs,was surprisingly tender plus great burger meat too.My third attempt should be downright nice,these videos are AWESOME!

Try it ,you might really like it.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 05:29:12 PM »
I followed the guys advice in the video. My cuts aren't quite as nice as his but they will cook on the BBQ or broiler. Pictures below.

Not Much waste

All done and packaged, I had two roast with stakes.

I think if I continue to do this I need a good butchers knife like a scimitar or something.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Whole top Sirloin cutting up-REVISED with pics
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 05:29:45 PM »
Would anyone recommend cutting up a whole top sirloin this way. I picked up a 19 pounder for $2.79/Lb kryopacked and have been hesitant on how I'm going to cut it up.

Offline Cinredman

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 06:08:44 PM »
Nice work!  I just love the learning process of butchering meat and have been doing whole beef tenderloin for the past 5 years; thanks to Alton Brown's segment "Tender is the loin".

In the near future, I will be firing up my KitchenAid meat grinder attachment and trying my hand at grinding my own beef.

While I have a good set of knives, I do plan to purchase a set of "butcher knives"...

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 06:22:25 PM »
Great job. What was the price per pound when you bought it? You got me interested in trying this.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 06:49:15 PM »
Great job. What was the price per pound when you bought it? You got me interested in trying this.
$2.79/Lb and that is select and not usda choice. At this point any meat is good meat to me  :)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 07:03:16 PM »

$2.79/Lb and that is select and not usda choice. At this point any meat is good meat to me  :)

Could not agree more. I don't spend much time in the beef case anymore.....too depressing
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline spuds

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 04:47:39 AM »
WTG Key,nice job!!!  ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 06:00:44 AM »
Looks good to me..you can only get better with practice.  I grind my own sausage with my KitchenAid all the time now..thanks to Cliff , TentHunter, using his sausage seasonings. I cut it into strips to fit in the feeder and just go for it. I do aobut 25 -30 lbs at a time, then package in 1 lb ziploc freezer bags. I should try the beef now.  Good price on your beef too..more $$$$ly here.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline spuds

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 04:58:46 PM »
Looks good to me..you can only get better with practice.  I grind my own sausage with my KitchenAid all the time now..thanks to Cliff , TentHunter, using his sausage seasonings. I cut it into strips to fit in the feeder and just go for it. I do aobut 25 -30 lbs at a time, then package in 1 lb ziploc freezer bags. I should try the beef now.  Good price on your beef too..more $$$$ly here.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
You betcha Pam.I havent bought burger meat in forever now.KA grinder and all burger,sausage home made now,well,I do buy some sausage.

Once you make your own burger you never go back,burger made from one cut,not 500 cows at once,so much safer.And cheaper.And tastier.

My jerky trim ALL of it makes burger,2/3rd jerky,1/3rd burger,ZERO waste.

Oh,we do 1lb ziplocks too!  ;D

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »
You betcha Pam.I havent bought burger meat in forever now.KA grinder and all burger,sausage home made now,well,I do buy some sausage.

Once you make your own burger you never go back,burger made from one cut,not 500 cows at once,so much safer.And cheaper.And tastier.

Very nice..I have learned so much from this forum and still learning..might not be perfect but getting better all the time. I am a work in progress.  lol  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline spuds

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 11:41:38 AM »

I am a work in progress.  lol  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
LOL,me too.I just picked up a Chuck roll from Restaurant depot for 3.55/lb.I joined KCBS just to be able to shop there.Its also select but last one was real tender on most parts,I got a ton of steaks,2 roasts and about 6 lbs of burger from this 23 lb cut.
Dogs got about 1/8 lb of sinew/silver skin trim.They say chuck has even less waste than the Round bottom primal too,I had so little waste on this chuck it was surprising.