Author Topic: Roast Chicken at 145 deg. What say you?  (Read 26077 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Roast Chicken at 145 deg. What say you?
« Reply #-1 on: April 28, 2016, 08:13:32 AM »
http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2016/04/thermal-tips-simple-roasted-chicken/

Crisp skin & Juice in the meat?

I am going to stick with pulling at 160 Deg & resting for a few minutes for now.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Hub

Re: Roast Chicken at 145 deg. What say you?
« on: April 28, 2016, 08:33:25 AM »
Very interesting article from a credible source.  "Food for thought" as they say.  The science is correct, but it requires high precision.  While one might, indeed, serve safe chicken at 145, one must assure a length of time at temperature that requires a lot of attention and accuracy.  Is this "dangerous".  Maybe.

I cook chicken at home ("backyard" style for friends and family) primarily by time because I know my pits and what they'll do.  I've never had it come out raw or anywhere close to it.  On those occasions where I've poked it with my Thermapen most of the IT readings (I usually go into the deep thigh) are in the high 150's and, after resting, jump another five to ten degrees.  I often get distracted when I'm cooking in the backyard (beverages, buddies, and BS) and I don't want to take the extra time and attention this 145 degree method would require.  I don't trust myself to do it right.

I cook chicken in competition with a very painstaking, detailed, tedious method that uses precise timing and temperatures along with great care in prep and spicing.  According to the descriptions in the article I think I'd get zinged by the judges for turning in undercooked chicken (not a disqualification, but lots of low score potential) because of the texture it produces even though it may be adequately cooked and safe.  My competition recipe results in a nice, juicy thigh that often goes past 165 on my Thermapen but isn't the "dry and stringy" stated in the article because of the cooking method.  So, although this 145 degree approach is interesting, I don't think I'm going to embrace it just yet.

I don't have time right now, but it would be fun if somebody on the forum who does, cooked up some 145 degree chicken and shared their results with us.  Any takers?

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:00:27 AM »
Hub I agree with what you said & "If it ain't broke why fix it". I love Chicken cooked at 160 & resting for a few minutes. I just don't have the time or want to take the chance.

But like you I hope someone with the time & in good health ;) comes forward to give it a try.

I would eat it but I won't cook it that way at this time

Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »
Yes you can safely cook meat to 140F if time & all the food gets to that temp.
It's how sous-vide works.
If you look at time / temp table for pseudomonas 155-160 is an excellent compromise for grilled poultry & Hrodna meat
Disclaimer I'm not a food scientists use my advice at your own risk!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 11:12:41 AM »
Yes you can safely cook meat to 140F if time & all the food gets to that temp.
It's how sous-vide works.
If you look at time / temp table for pseudomonas 155-160 is an excellent compromise for grilled poultry & Hrodna meat
Disclaimer I'm not a food scientists use my advice at your own risk!

Sous Vide is an excellent example of sustained lower temperature cooking that is safe when properly done.  Good point.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 11:21:32 AM »
I was going to mention Sous-Vide.

Also I have no problem or worries taking boneless, skinless chicken breasts to lower than 165. At 165F they become dry and tasteless. But trying this with a whole chicken is a different story. Too many areas close to the bone that might not get cooked enough.

Sous-Vide would eliminate all this extra work. A whole chicken could be done safely at 145F. I just wonder if the texture and look might make people think who are eating it that it is not completely cooked.

I have done boneless, skinless chicken breasts at 145F in Sous-Vide and they came out really good but that was with a finish sear on them.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:31:45 AM »
I am one of those guys that cooks to at least 165 when doing poultry...to me just not worth the risk.......I spatchcock whole chickens and turkeys these days...they cook faster and cook more evenly....IMHO.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Roast Chicken at 145 deg. What say you?
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 01:23:05 PM »
I am one of those guys that cooks to at least 165 when doing poultry...to me just not worth the risk.......I spatchcock whole chickens and turkeys these days...they cook faster and cook more evenly....IMHO.....
I already get the look from the wife when I pull at 160 degrees
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 01:25:08 PM »

I agree why take a chance & it tastes great at that temp. But I like to cut it off at 160 & let the rest do the rest ??? ???

Hey & know one brought up the best part of 165..............You get to have another beer with the extra time. ;) ;) ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill