Author Topic: New Mexico/Colorado Cow Elk Hunting Trip  (Read 17186 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
New Mexico/Colorado Cow Elk Hunting Trip
« Reply #-1 on: November 19, 2016, 10:05:36 AM »
First of all, this was more like a road trip with some hunting thrown in.  Tim and I packed my truck with coolers and hunting gear on Sunday, November 6th and headed out towards New Mexico.  I will say one thing right now.  Before we go on another hunting trip, I need to give Tim some packing lessons.  He had more clothing and boots than the other three members of our hunting party.  He couldn’t decide what to bring, so he brought everything.  The return trip confirmed that we used all available space to re-pack my truck.  My little Minion friend, an early Christmas present from Tee and his wife, is wishing us Bon Voyage.

Tim brought along some Sriracha Cashews for snack food.  Pretty good, too.

Our first dinner stop was the Loveless Cafe in Nashville.  We each had the Sunday Special (somehow I didn’t take a picture), their smoked brisket with au jus.  Some where on Tim’s phone is a video of Tim adding more au jus (really just GRAVY) to his plate.  The portions were so large that we should have split one meal.  There was at least a pound of brisket on each plate.  Couldn’t finish mine.  Neither did Tim.  He enjoyed his dessert, however.

Our first stop on Monday the 7th was the Bass Pro 
Shops at the Pyramid in Memphis, TN.  We spent some time walking around this store.  I can see why they call this their “flagship store”.  We each bought something while we were there.

Our next meal stop was Nick’s BBQ and Catfish.  The next two pictures are of their fried pickles.  They are like “Stackers” that have been breaded and fried.  They are the best fried pickles I have had.

I ordered the small catfish platter.  It has three filets with onion rings, baked beans and their green tomato pickles.  Tim ordered the large catfish platter.  His had five filets.

Our next food stop was in OK.  Robertson’s, famous for their smoked ham, sausages, etc.  This is a picture of my sandwich.  They don’t skimp on the meat!

I had to buy a jar of their green tomato pickles.

From Robertson’s we headed to the Cowboy Museum in OKC.  Always a fun time there.  I go almost every time I go through OKC.  Always something new to see.  We enjoyed dinner at the Cattleman’s Steakhouse in the Stockyards that evening.  Started off with the lamb fries.  So tender and delicious, too.

I ordered the bacon wrapped filet and a baked potato.

Tim, on the other hand, ordered the 16 ounce Prime rib eye.

For dessert I had their cinnamon roll.  Tim had the pumpkin pie.

Stick a fork in Tim!  He is done!!

On our way back to check into the hotel, we came across Pappy’s BBQ and Pappy’s Diner.  Pappy, have you been holding out on us?

On our way to Amarillo, we made a necessary stop.  Look what Tim found!  His favorite pony!!

Our first stop was the airport in Amarillo to pick up John (aka Lost Arrow).  Off to lunch at the Big Texan.

This is the big attraction at the Big Texan.  The 72 oz. steak is FREE, if you can eat it AND all the sides shown in 60 minutes or less.

No, none of us wanted to give it a try.  This is a shot of Tim’s bowl of red chili.  NO BEANS!  He did add jalapeños, however.

I ordered the bison burger.

John inhaled a nice looking steak.  Never got to take a picture.

I took this picture for my wife to show her that we saw a jackalope while we were there.

Everything is bigger in Texas, even their mitts!

That night we ate at a recommended Mexican restaurant.  I ordered the shrimp tacos and Charro beans.  Really good.  Their guacamole was outstanding.  Tim and John ordered sampler sized platters that included some of the best stuffed and chile rellanos I have tasted.  Didn’t get any pictures, however.  Tim may have some pictures.

Tim and I went back to the airport that night to pick up my son who was arriving late.  11:00 PM late.

The next morning I drove them by the Cadillac Ranch for a photo op.  Tim took lots of pictures of the Cadillacs buried in the ground.

On to Clayton, NM and the beginning of our hunt.  Stopped for lunch at Hodie’s BBQ in Dalhart, TX.  The brisket sandwich was so juicy and tender, and their sauce was absolutely killer.  Perfect marriage of meat and sauce!

Here is Tim enjoying his brisket sandwich.  He has fried onions and jalapeños on his plate.

My son was first up to get his cow elk.  About twenty minutes after we entered the ranch, we spotted four cow elk.  Christopher got his right away.  John was next and he didn’t disappoint.  Tim was next, but couldn’t get in a position to take a shot.  I moved to the front seat and about fifteen minutes later we started tracking several young bull elk and their girl friends.  We watched them move through the trees, stopping to look at us.  Finally the bulls moved on and the cows came into view.  After waiting for two cows to to separate for a clean shot, I made my shot.  We decided that with three elk on the ground, it was time to field dress them and get them to the truck.  This is my elk with my son Christopher on the left, the guide Jason getting ready to do his job, and Tim on the right.

I know Christopher looks like I brought G. Gordon Liddy along to hunt, but I didn’t  Here he is with his elk.

Here is John posing with Christopher’s elk.  His is actually right behind him.  They both posed with my gun.

This beauty was mounted over the fireplace of the owner of the property.  Supposed to be a 500+ bull.  Very, very expensive to hunt and get one this big. 

Another trophy in the great room of the house.

On our way back from the days hunt, we stopped and took some pictures of these sheep.

Tim showing off the hot sauce bottle at the dinner table back at the ranch.

Tim went back out with our guide the next morning and did get his elk.  Meanwhile, I took John and Christopher to Raton, NM for a little sightseeing.  We drove to Vermejo Park, one of Ted Turner’s properties.  While we didn’t see any elk, we did see mule deer and turkeys along the side of the road.

On both ends of the town of Raton, you see these signs.  They have had bears wondering through the streets every now and then.

We stopped for lunch at a little restaurant Tim and I had eaten at several years ago.  Really good New Mexico style food.  I had the pork green chili (made with roasted Hatch green chiles).  John had a huge burrito and Christopher had a hot dog smothered with green chili.

On our way home, we timed it just right to stop at Nick’s again and have some more catfish.  I still order the small plate with some really good potato salad made with mustard, not mayo.  Their fried okra was just okay.

When Tim finished his lunch, which included a homemade apricot fried pie and ice cream, he was done in!

Overall, a great trip.  I think everyone had a great time.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline tomcrete1

Re: New Mexico/Colorado Cow Elk Hunting Trip
« on: November 19, 2016, 10:22:02 AM »
Good Food! Great Times and Great Friends what more could you ask for  :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 10:23:36 AM »
Looks like an excellent road trip Art!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

New Mexico/Colorado Cow Elk Hunting Trip
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 10:47:13 AM »
Great post. Way too many pics of Tee though. Looks like a great time
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 10:52:57 AM »
Looks fun and thanks for posting it for us.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 11:07:08 AM »
Another fine episode of Travelogues with Art! Great pics Art! Looks like everyone ate well, hunted well, and enjoyed the fine company of friends!  :thumbup:

* The only part of this trip that troubles me is the consumption of "lamb fries"! ??? :o
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:17:52 PM by hikerman »

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »
Looks like a great time!!! Wow all that food you all must have gained 10 lbs. unless you worked it off chasing that elk down! :) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 04:51:41 PM »
Awesome Pictures, looks like a great time!!