Author Topic: Prepping Chicken...  (Read 18255 times)

Offline frogpond

Prepping Chicken...
« Reply #-1 on: November 29, 2016, 12:01:41 PM »
So I was just doing a little reading on prepping chicken for cooking, and I came across this article.  A couple of things it mentions that I hadn't heard, or go against what I have heard...

1. It says to never rinse chicken under running water.  The article states to simply just pat it dry without rinsing it...for sanitary reasons.

2. It also says to cook the chicken to an IT of 185 degrees.  That seems high to me..and higher than what I've seen suggested here. 

I'm no expert on the topic at all.  That's why I'm making this post to see what you all think.  The first time I did chicken legs..and when I did my first whole chicken, and my thanksgiving turkey..I rinsed them all in my kitchen sink before patting them dry with paper towels.  Is that the method you all use to "wash/rinse" ? 

Also, the temp gauge that came with my big easy only goes up to 170 I believe it is...so I don't know how to monitor the temp up to 185.  But, again, that seems high to me.  Do y'all use the 165 temp?

Thanks,
Justin

Offline frogpond

Re: Prepping Chicken...
« on: November 29, 2016, 12:02:04 PM »

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 12:05:35 PM »
I pull when internal temps of the breast are 160 degrees and the thigh 170 degrees.
While resting under a foil tent the temperature always rises about 5 to 10 degrees.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline frogpond

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 12:09:19 PM »
I pull when internal temps of the breast are 160 degrees and the thigh 170 degrees.
While resting under a foil tent the temperature always rises about 5 to 10 degrees.

Thanks for the response.  The article I read was specifically referring to chicken drumsticks/legs.  But I'm not sure if that matters in the discussion or not.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 12:14:39 PM »
I have always rinsed my chicken under water then pat dry and have never made anyone sick. Then I wash my hands and any utensil I used and the towel I used for my hands is put in the wash.

I brine most all chicken and take to 170-175 deg. breast IT. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 12:37:30 PM »
It's the splashing in the sink and everywhere they are referring to.  I always wash the sink with some bleach added to clean the sink. I wash everything that it comes in contact. and I cook to about 170º and tent for a lil while.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 03:33:24 PM »
 185 is high.... Although you can bet the germs will be dead.  I shoot for 160-165 ideally

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »
I agree with most that when breast is 160F I pull and tent for 10 - 15 minutes. Pam is right. There is nothing wrong with rinsing and drying your chicken. The problem is from the faucet and the spraying of water. Anywhere the water goes after hitting the bird, you will have the germs and bacteria. So in fact, you could have a cleaned and dried chicken but still get sick because of the droplets of water you missed cleaning up. The experts say no to rinsing because it is so easy to contaminate. Better to cook to IT of 160F.
If you must clean the bird. Fill your sink with water and clean. And like Pam does, a disinfectant like bleach to clean sink afterwards.

www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/do-not-rinse-your-turkey/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:48:31 PM by hikerman »

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 07:55:27 PM »
I rinse in the sink and dry. Then disinfect the sick and any area around it.

I am little confused when you said your temp gauge that came with your big easy goes up to 170. Is this on your big easy? If so, I would totally disregard that and get an instant read thermometer to measure the cooked temp of your meat. With chicken breasts I too take them to 160, pull, and let rest under foil. With the thighs, legs and wings, I will go up to 185 without them drying out. I normally shoot for 175 but sometimes they get higher. 
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 08:36:02 PM »
I also rinse and pat dry and disinfect the sink and surrounding areas and so far so good.

I have always slightly overcooked my chicken..............better safe than sorry......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 10:34:16 PM »
I have always rinsed my chicken under water then pat dry and have never made anyone sick. Then I wash my hands and any utensil I used and the towel I used for my hands is put in the wash.

I do this exactly.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 11:39:49 AM »
I don't rinse my poultry under water before trimming excess fat/skin and seasoning. I always take my poultry breasts to 170ºF before resting loosely under a foil tent for 15 minutes. I always take the dark meat (thighs, drumsticks) to at least 180ºF. Dark meat is very forgiving and can handle going above 180ºF without drying out/ruining the meat. Course it's understood that I always cook/smoke bone-in, skin on poultry.

When cooking a whole yardbird I find that when I take the breast to 170ºF then the quarters (dark meat) will be at 180ºF plus. Everyone to their own preferences and methods but I personally will never pull when the breast IT reaches 160ºF.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 05:45:29 PM »
This graph shows how sous vide works, it's not just temperature, time at temperature plays an important part.

If you cook poultry to 150 F & let sit at that temperature for a few minutes it's perfectly safe.

New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »

I do this exactly.

Only difference is I wear gloves now - I started doing this at competitions and just find it easier and quicker.

Also, I haven't really done any brining - just lazy I guess, maybe one day . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC