Author Topic: Rant - New Poultry Labeling Can be Misleading!  (Read 17092 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Rant - New Poultry Labeling Can be Misleading!
« Reply #-1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:13:45 AM »
Warning - Off Topic Rant!

Log story short - I have crazy allergies that force me to read labels.

Until this year I have never had a problem trusting a turkey label that said "All Natural - Minimally Processed."  Then I glanced at a Butterball label and was astonished at what they are getting away with. Then I saw it wasn't just them.

Now, I've known for years not to buy certain brands because I react to their "Natural Flavoring," but at least I was able to trust a label that said "Minimally Processed."

Now I see turkeys that are being injected with seasonings and "Natural Flavor" which can contain Monosodium and/or other L-glutamates, "to enhance the tenderness and juiciness."

Then the label states...  "Minimally Processed."     ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!

According to USDA Guidelines minimally processed is suppose to mean it "...was processed in a manner that does not fundamentally alter the product."

And "Bone-in poultry products that are injected or marinated with a solution containing butter or other edible fat, broth, stock or water plus spices, flavor enhancers and other approved substances must be labeled as basted or self basted."

The USDA updated their labeling guidelines in April, 2011.  I guess processors are finding more loopholes to squeeze through to try and fool consumers into thinking their product is a "healthier" choice.

So anyway, this year the wife and I really had to watch the turkey labeling like hawks.

Anyone else notice this or have an issue with these labeling practices? They tick me off!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:52:47 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Rant - New Poultry Labeling Can be Misleading!
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:32:15 AM »
I think this is good, informative info Cliff! Thanks for sharing - but sorry that you had to experience this first hand.

We should all pay better attention to the labels on foods we eat.

After all - we are careful to not buy junk gasoline for our cars....Because we kow that when we put junk in the tank - we cause problems with the engine and fuel system - right? ;)

I would like to move this to "Food Safety" so that it does not get lost in the General Discussion - if you are o.k. with that?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »
Unfortunately unless you buy a Turkey and have it slaughtered they all seem to be processed in some way. Maybe specialty stores like Trader Joe's or Gelson's will carry non-processed birds but they are not cheap.

Butterball seems to be the least biggest offender of the major brands.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »
Quote from: teesquare
I would like to move this to "Food Safety" so that it does not get lost in the General Discussion - if you are o.k. with that?

That would be absolutely fine. Thanks Tee!

Quote from: Muebe
Maybe specialty stores like Trader Joe's or Gelson's will carry non-processed birds but they are not cheap.

Fortunately we can find fresh, truly "minimally processed," nothing added, turkeys (as well as chickens) at our local grocer, and butcher, but you are dead on correct, they aren't the cheap ones!

Cliff
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68