Author Topic: Cookinpellets 100% Hickory Smoked Tri-Tip  (Read 1260 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Cookinpellets 100% Hickory Smoked Tri-Tip
« Reply #-1 on: May 28, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »

Had the pleasure of using, for the first time, Premium cookinpellets.com 100% Hickory wood pellets and let me tell you ... I was not the least bit disappointed with the results I got and neither will you! The Tri-Tip turned out so tender you could cut it with a fork. The first thing I noticed about the pellets is that there is NO Oak or Alder fillers, just 100% Hickory wood pellets. In the past I have used pellets from different manufacturers which for the most part use 75% to 70% Alder fillers and 25% to 30% Hickory hard wood. Living on the West Coast most manufacturers use Alder because it's so plentiful. You'll find that on the East Coast (East of the Mississippi River) Oak is used for the same reason.

I highly recommend the use of Premium cookinpellets.com 100% Hickory wood pellets and/or Premium cookinpellets.com 100% hardwood Perfect Mix wood pellets. The Perfect Mix is a blend of Hickory, Cherry, Hard Maple, and Apple pellets.

Started with a Costco USDA Prime Peeled Tri-Tip 2½ pound roast. If you're not familiar with a 'peeled' roast it means that the meat department/butcher has trimmed the fat cap from the roast. You pay a little extra for a peeled roast but since I like to remove the fat cap I prefer, for the most part, to have someone else trim the fat cap. It also makes it so much easier and faster when prepping your meat. Rubbed all sides of the tri-tip with roasted garlic extra virgin olive oil and seasoned the roast with Pete's Western Rub.

From past experience I gave myself 3 hours from start to serve. Remember to always cook to internal temperatures! For my family's preference of medium rare I take my tri-tip roasts to an internal temperature of 145ºF and rest the roast loosely under a foil tent before carving against the grain on the bias and serving.

• Preheat your wood pellet smoker-grill to 230ºF with Premium cookinpellets.com 100% Hickory wood pellets
• Smoke the Tri-Tip roast at 230ºF until the internal temperature of the roast reached 145ºF (about 2 hours), ± 10ºF depending on your preference
• Rest smoked Tri-Tip roast for 15 minutes loosely under a foil tent
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Cookinpellets 100% Hickory Smoked Tri-Tip
« on: May 28, 2017, 06:27:14 PM »
Looks fantastic  :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »
Nice cook partner.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 07:26:48 PM »
I agree with you about the Cookinpellets.  I use both the 100% hickory and the Perfect Mix.  I live close enough to their plant that I can drive there when I need more.  Awesome pellets.  :thumbup:
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »
That look fantastic.  Great cook.  I just used the Perfect Mix for the first time and really like them too.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline GunSlinger

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 03:59:28 PM »
Everything looks great including the salad. Is that pre-made or what? If not, write up the recipe for that too plz.
Brinkmann Smoke N'Grill
MES 30" x2
GMG Jim Bowie (sold)
Blaz'n Grill GridIron Pro
ThermoWorks ChefAlarm, ThermoPop & Smoke
Grill Grates
AMPS (5x8)
Qmatz
DG Downdraft Mod
Beast Injector
Malcom Reed BDI Injector

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 04:36:23 PM »
Everything looks great including the salad. Is that pre-made or what? If not, write up the recipe for that too plz.

The salad is not pre-made but rather just a combination of a lot of my favorite items thrown together. Iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, cucumbers, sliced olives, sliced red peppers, sliced mushrooms, shredded Parmesan cheese, sliced Claussen pickles, and avocados. I top it off with ranch dressing, olive garden Italian dressing, and/or Caesar's dressing. I just cut everything into plastic bowls and we pick and choose.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Pappymn

Cookinpellets 100% Hickory Smoked Tri-Tip
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 06:38:18 PM »
You are killing me on having access to tri tip at Costco. Looks awesome
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109