Author Topic: Why do YOU own a MAK?  (Read 2960 times)

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
Why do YOU own a MAK?
« Reply #-1 on: October 06, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »
I've owned a MAK since 2009. Some of the main reasons I traded-up from a "T" pellet grill was the Pellet Boss controller with all of the different features it had.The pellet hopper dump door and the removable firepot were also huge. When I first got #26, I didnt know how much I'd use the cold smoker. Found out how easy it was to smoke cheese, nuts, salt, brown sugar, pepper, etc. Now, I use it all the time.

What about you other MAK owners? Why did you purchase a MAK?
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline fryfour

Re: Why do YOU own a MAK?
« on: October 06, 2017, 04:12:26 PM »
i bought my barely used 2 star for 1700.00. couldnt pass on the deal.. no regrets here

Offline Pappymn

Why do YOU own a MAK?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 04:23:07 PM »
Because I wanted the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 04:53:07 PM »
The latest technology.  Simply the best way to empty my fire pot.  One pin, pull the fire pot out and empty it.  Lot of different accessories so I can out fit my mak the way it suits me.  I buy what I need.  The pellet boss is the most advanced on the market.  It has Wi-Fi which is very cool.  I don't use it but it's there if I want too.  3 temp probes.  It just cooks very well.  At all temps.  Plus it looks cool.  My first mak was #316 two star.  #63 & #69 one stars.  I now own #3000 something, something two star.  If you simply want the best pellet grill on the market get a Mak.  Two of the most important things about Mak is that they are made in USA and their outstanding customer service.. One of the finest pieces of bbq equipment I have ever owned. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline rwalters

Why do YOU own a MAK?
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 06:50:02 PM »
I bought Sparkys old #69 1 Star and loved it so much that I sold it and bought a new 2 Star this past March. It really is a "you get what you pay for" cooker! :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 10:21:53 PM »
Because I wanted the best!

:thumbup:  Same here! Got my first 2 star in 2011 ... My Son owns it now and I have a newer one  ;D
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:38:57 PM »
I bought Sparkys old #69 1 Star and loved it so much that I sold it and bought a new 2 Star this past March. It really is a "you get what you pay for" cooker! :)
Did you go from stainless to black non-stainless?  If so, how is the w star holding up?

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »
I got into smoking, strangely enough, by seeing the electric Masterbuilt smokers on QVC.  I ordered one and used it for about 2 years.  After one brutal winter when the smoker wouldn't hold temperature, I started doing research into better smokers.  After another year of reading reviews and lurking on forums, I determined the MAK was the best available.  The some of the others stated, I got the MAK because I wanted the best.  So I went from a basic no-frills electric smoker to the top-of-the-line pellet smoker/grill on the market.  I have not regretted my purchase one bit.  I use it all year long and it never disappoints.  I will always be a MAK owner.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 10:40:50 PM »
Wanted one where when I set the temp it would always be the same. Pellet Boss and wifi all come in handy. We too use the side smoker box more then I thought. Great for keeping foods warm when cooking the entire meal on the MAK.

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 12:55:17 PM »
Wow, it was 45 degrees last night when we burned in the grill.  Took 20 minutes to get up to 450 once the pellets got through the auger. Not bad, I’ve never seen a pellet grill get that hot.  Our old one would get 290 at best on a day like that and maybe, if the sun and moon aligned, up to 400 on a 90 degree day.  I am wondering about the fire pit.  It seemed to have some unburned particles and little pieces of burned ash all the the inside including on the grate (with sear covers on). Is that normal?

Removing the fire pit was heaven.  Almost fun!  Which is better than dreading having to get the shop vac, remove everything, vacuum, put it back together, put away the shop vac.  Also like the ability to dump a bunch of pellets in without worrying how much because now there is a pellet dump door.  The pellet hopper looks like something that doesn’t let the pellets get hung up so I no longer need to check the hopper every 10-15 minutes.

Offline rwalters

Why do YOU own a MAK?
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 02:00:02 AM »
Wow, it was 45 degrees last night when we burned in the grill.  Took 20 minutes to get up to 450 once the pellets got through the auger. Not bad, I’ve never seen a pellet grill get that hot.  Our old one would get 290 at best on a day like that and maybe, if the sun and moon aligned, up to 400 on a 90 degree day.  I am wondering about the fire pit.  It seemed to have some unburned particles and little pieces of burned ash all the the inside including on the grate (with sear covers on). Is that normal?

Removing the fire pit was heaven.  Almost fun!  Which is better than dreading having to get the shop vac, remove everything, vacuum, put it back together, put away the shop vac.  Also like the ability to dump a bunch of pellets in without worrying how much because now there is a pellet dump door.  The pellet hopper looks like something that doesn’t let the pellets get hung up so I no longer need to check the hopper every 10-15 minutes.
Welcome to the wonderful world of MAK...where things just work :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 06:34:36 PM »
I am wondering about the fire pit.  It seemed to have some unburned particles and little pieces of burned ash all the the inside including on the grate (with sear covers on). Is that normal?

Yes that is perfectly normal. You're burning wood, so you're going to have a little ash in the cook chamber.  And the bits of pellets in the fire pot is because, as I understand it, when you go through the cool down cycle MAKs dump a few extra pellets into the fire pot to clear any partially burned pellets from the auger tube as a safety precaution.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 09:25:52 PM »
Everyone loved them.  And I've loved it from day one.   Does its job as it does it well
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline akjeff

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 01:33:22 AM »
I bought my 2Star because I like well made, well designed, high quality gear made by skilled American hands. The MAK is all that in spades. Couldn't be happier with it.

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline Oregon Tractor Jack

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »
I bought my because of the uniform heating and the overall quality of construction.  I have had a Louisiana pellet grill for years and years.  Made a lot of great food on it.  It's only limitation was the heating was not uniform across the grill surface.  This was due to the basic design with the fire box being on one end of the grill.  With the MAK the fire box is right in the center of the grilling surface.  As for the quality, I live about 30 miles from MAK as the crow flies.  I was driving one day and just happened to see the factory.  I had no idea they were located in Oregon.  I stopped in and took a look a the grills.  I was truly impressed.  There was a MAK 2 Star on display.  The fit and finish on the grill was superb.  The other great thing about the MAK's is the materials they are constructed with.  The MAK 1 uses aluminum coated steel that has been powder coated, the MAK 2 Star is 304 stainless.  That makes them almost totally impervious to the weather.  That is a big deal sitting on the deck in "Sunny Oregon".

OTJ
MAK 2 Star
Weber Kettle
Modified Char Griller barrel smoker
Masterbuilt electric smoker
Weber Gas grill
Little Smokey
Charcoal bullet smoker