Author Topic: A Reminder about posting Photos and Attachments  (Read 17951 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
A Reminder about posting Photos and Attachments
« Reply #-1 on: November 14, 2017, 11:25:11 AM »
It's been a while since this has come up, and with several new members now on board,  it's time for a friendly reminder about posting photos as attachments and why it's not the best option.

Have you ever been browsing older posts and wondered why you sometimes see a message saying, "[attachment deleted...]"?  It's because while posting photos as attachments is certainly allowed, they get deleted after 6 months as a part of monthly routine file maintenance.

What's an attachment?  Attachments are when you add photos to your post using: Attachments and other options,  (right below the message window).

Why are they deleted? Attachments are stored directly on the server, and can quickly take up a LOT of extra storage space and bandwidth on the server side, both of which are costly.  Therefore, in an effort to keep costs low (so we can keep the lights on around here), attachments are automatically deleted after they've been posted for 6 months.

This means after 6 months, any photos you uploaded as attachments can no longer be viewed by others.

What's a better option?  Upload your images to a photo hosting site, then insert the image code into your posts!

1) It costs the forum nothing to store them, there is no extra bandwidth and...

2) It gives YOU control over how long your photos stay in your posts.  Photos stay in your posts until YOU choose to delete them from your photo hosting account.

3) Once you do it a time or two you'll see it's not difficult and it truly is a better option! A photo hosting site offers other options such as organizing your photos, creating slide shows, etc.

What are my choices?  These days there are a number of free, or low-cost photo hosting sites available including (but not limited to): imgur, Google Photos, SmugMug and Flickr.   If you know of any other good ones, PLEASE post them!

The exact services & tools available vary with each service, so check them out for yourselves to find one that fits your needs.

There is lots more info about these services, and how to use them posted by our fine members here: Posting Photos & Videos

One final note: If, after looking at the options, you still prefer the simplicity of attaching photos directly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!  Just be aware that others will not be able to view them in your post after 6 months.

Thanks, and any question about this, ask away!

Cliff
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: A Reminder about posting Photos and Attachments
« on: November 14, 2017, 12:21:24 PM »
Thanks Cliff. Something as simple as posting photos can be quite the challenge for some us low tech smokers.....The Smoke is one of them.

This quite a valuable post for all of us here :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 01:03:56 PM »
Thanks Cliff for the reminder. Since leaving Photobucket I have been using SmugMug exclusively. It is easy to use and fits my needs. It is not a free site, but to me it is worth my monthly or yearly fee.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »
I left Photobucket as well. I ended up with Image Shack. Nice and simple for me and 18 bucks a year. I can do this................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32