Author Topic: New Pellet Grills  (Read 8487 times)

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
Re: New Pellet Grills
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 08:14:11 AM »
Ive been very pleased with my Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie - Can fit a lot on meat on it.

And the sale they are having now it SWEET!

BP

Offline slothritis

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »
The Traeger Timberline has had some early issues on low smoke production and on the grease system. While it is nice to see Traeger get "serious", I think the Timberline is overpriced for what you are getting.

Yoder??  Get yourself a part-time job to pay for pellets.....that 1/4 inch steel makes pellet consumption a big issue. I did pellet testing on a YS480 and I was amazed at how the hopper was always empty.

Now of course if you want to spend the coin and have the best, go get a MAK. They are simply the best.

However if you like your Rec Tec mini, why not go for the Rec Tec 680.......a solid performer at a great price.

I'm also surprised to hear about the yoder smoker. I think you might be the first person that has said something negative about it.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »
The Traeger Timberline has had some early issues on low smoke production and on the grease system. While it is nice to see Traeger get "serious", I think the Timberline is overpriced for what you are getting.

Yoder??  Get yourself a part-time job to pay for pellets.....that 1/4 inch steel makes pellet consumption a big issue. I did pellet testing on a YS480 and I was amazed at how the hopper was always empty.

Now of course if you want to spend the coin and have the best, go get a MAK. They are simply the best.

However if you like your Rec Tec mini, why not go for the Rec Tec 680.......a solid performer at a great price.

I'm also surprised to hear about the yoder smoker. I think you might be the first person that has said something negative about it.

No my friend. I am one of many. They have had over 40 revisions to their controller that I last heard of over 4 years ago. The 1/4 inch thick steel is a major flaw. Tee (our forum founder) used to own a YS640. He is out on a road trip currently. He got rid of his as well. I did extensive pellet consumption testing on a Yoder YS-480 and a Rec Tec simultaneously for a local grill shop. He provided all the different pellets. My payment was being able to use both grills for my family meals. I always went to the Rec Tec. It was a blast to cook on. It was about 200 square inches more in space than the Yoder and just sipped the pellets.

The GMG Jim Bowie is on sale right now and I also reviewed both GMG offerings. The Rec Tec is hands down the best bang for the buck.

Whatever you decide be prepared for some fantastic tasting grub.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline slothritis

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 01:53:46 PM »

No my friend. I am one of many. They have had over 40 revisions to their controller that I last heard of over 4 years ago. The 1/4 inch thick steel is a major flaw. Tee (our forum founder) used to own a YS640. He is out on a road trip currently. He got rid of his as well. I did extensive pellet consumption testing on a Yoder YS-480 and a Rec Tec simultaneously for a local grill shop. He provided all the different pellets. My payment was being able to use both grills for my family meals. I always went to the Rec Tec. It was a blast to cook on. It was about 200 square inches more in space than the Yoder and just sipped the pellets.

The GMG Jim Bowie is on sale right now and I also reviewed both GMG offerings. The Rec Tec is hands down the best bang for the buck.

Whatever you decide be prepared for some fantastic tasting grub.

Awesome! Think I'm gonna go for the larger rec tec with the extra shelf. Thanks again for your input.

Offline slothritis

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 07:45:48 AM »
Just wondering.....what is the difference between the 1 star mak and the 2 star? Also, for those of you who have the rec tec and a MAK, does the Mak put out more smoke flavor than the rec tec? Thanks!

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 11:24:21 AM »
I have a Mak 1 star and am very happy with it. The differences between the 1 and 2 stars are, the 2 star uses all stainless steel if i'm not mistaken and the one star is alumanized steel which is very efficient in heat retention. 2 star comes with the flame zone, but haven't looked and not sure if the new 1 star does as well? The hopper box is a little different on the 2 and the 2 has a smoker/warmer box. You can also add a smoker cabinet to the 2 star as well, check out Smoker Pete's. The cooking areas are the same size and both use the same controller. Great units and can't go wrong if you can swing the coin for one. 
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline NativeTxn

New Pellet Grills
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »
I have a Mak 1 star and am very happy with it. The differences between the 1 and 2 stars are, the 2 star uses all stainless steel if i'm not mistaken and the one star is alumanized steel which is very efficient in heat retention. 2 star comes with the flame zone, but haven't looked and not sure if the new 1 star does as well? The hopper box is a little different on the 2 and the 2 has a smoker/warmer box. You can also add a smoker cabinet to the 2 star as well, check out Smoker Pete's. The cooking areas are the same size and both use the same controller. Great units and can't go wrong if you can swing the coin for one.

I’m in the middle of deciding on a new pellet and the 1-Star and 2-Star are on the list.

1-Star doesn’t come with flame zone but you can add it for $400.

If I’m doing it correctly, building out a 1-Star similar to the 2-Star (ie add bottom shelf, side shelf and tool hook, flame zone, etc.) results in about $300 difference or so.

You, of course, don’t have the warmer box or all stainless construction on the 1-Star but other than that you can get 1-Star built out pretty similar to a 2-Star.

Seems to me that the biggest thing is if you don’t need/want the flame zone, the 1-Star would probably be more than sufficient for the lower cost compared to the 2-Star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slothritis

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 12:14:59 PM »
So I think I narrowed down my options to a new rec tec or a Mak 2 Star. Only thing pushing me towards rec tec is larger cooking space.

Offline Pappymn

New Pellet Grills
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »
I get 8 pork butts in my Mak with the upper shelf. If you can swing the Mak, you will never be disappointed. I promise :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline slothritis

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
I get 8 pork butts in my Mak with the upper shelf. If you can swing the Mak, you will never be disappointed. I promise :)

How many briskets could you put on it?

Offline Pappymn

New Pellet Grills
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 03:54:48 PM »

I've never done more than one at a time. But 4 Packers should fit
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 06:33:27 PM »

I've never done more than one at a time. But 4 Packers should fit

Agreed.  I have only ever done one at a time but with the upper shelf, 4 should fit.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 02:17:47 AM »
If I may be so bold, if you're looking for extra space you may wish to look at the Blaz'n Gridiron with the Pro Shelves.  For about three years I had my heard set on a Yoder YS640 but I had the chance to play around with it and it does chew pellets like no one's business (despite being an awesome machine in many other respects); it's also a chore to update with their controller being non-Wifi and a proprietary design.  I also played around with a RecTec and liked it but had concerns with the space limitations and the lack of WiFi. 

The Blaz'n hit the best of all worlds for me and I got the feedback of more than a few owners before I made the decision to purchase.  With WiFi, Proshelves, the Lid Insulator, and what not you can hit a sub-$2000 price point with over 2250 sq. inches of cook space.  Just as important, the customer service on the front side of the sale is about as good as it could get.  I will freely admit that mine is still somewhere between Texas and Nebraska on a truck (should arrive mid-week) but I am an exhaustive researcher by nature and have zero qualms about my investment.

The Maks are wonderful machines, as are the new Pitts & Spitts pellet cookers.  But the Blaz'n hit all the right notes for me at a price I could handle.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline slothritis

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 07:52:52 AM »
If I may be so bold, if you're looking for extra space you may wish to look at the Blaz'n Gridiron with the Pro Shelves.  For about three years I had my heard set on a Yoder YS640 but I had the chance to play around with it and it does chew pellets like no one's business (despite being an awesome machine in many other respects); it's also a chore to update with their controller being non-Wifi and a proprietary design.  I also played around with a RecTec and liked it but had concerns with the space limitations and the lack of WiFi. 

The Blaz'n hit the best of all worlds for me and I got the feedback of more than a few owners before I made the decision to purchase.  With WiFi, Proshelves, the Lid Insulator, and what not you can hit a sub-$2000 price point with over 2250 sq. inches of cook space.  Just as important, the customer service on the front side of the sale is about as good as it could get.  I will freely admit that mine is still somewhere between Texas and Nebraska on a truck (should arrive mid-week) but I am an exhaustive researcher by nature and have zero qualms about my investment.

The Maks are wonderful machines, as are the new Pitts & Spitts pellet cookers.  But the Blaz'n hit all the right notes for me at a price I could handle.

Thanks....I'll check them out.

Offline Hub

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 09:19:04 AM »
For fewest problems I'd definitely have to nominate my Memphis.    Eight years old.  Has never failed to light or cook just as directed.  Heavy, heavy insulated construction.  Fantastic controller locks onto temps.  Broad heat range.  American made.  Trophies for ribs and chicken cooked in it.  Hearthland, the manufacturer, doesn't have the ad budget or following that MAK does but they take great care of customers and make a great pellet machine.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN