Author Topic: Pork tacos  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Roget

Pork tacos
« Reply #-1 on: December 19, 2017, 08:14:11 PM »
For my maiden voyage on my new Davy Crockett I decided to do something simple.
It's hard to mess up a pork butt, & since I have about six or eight in the freezer, it seemed like the right choice.
It was a smallish butt, just under six pounds, & only took about nine hours to get to 198° IT.

Now while I know a lot of you have negative opinions of  the Bradley smoker. (I still love mine)
I will say that my first experience with a pellet smoker left me more than just a little impressed.
Easier to use, easier to monitor, I believe cooks faster even cooking at the same temp. (does that even make sense???), and puts out a very tender & tasty product.

So I made pork tacos with this melt in your mouth pork.

So far nothing bad to say about pellet smoking.
Hope the good vibe continues. ;D
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Pork tacos
« on: December 19, 2017, 08:55:40 PM »
Awesome looking first cook on your DC Roget!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 03:19:28 AM »
Roget, the first cook on your new Davy Crockett looks like a success. That pulled pork looks delicious....and when you added it to a taco, you just bumped it up a couple of notches. Those pictures made my mouth water.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 07:38:41 AM »
Lookin mighty fine!  :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 09:08:03 AM »
Great first cook. I love everything that comes off of a pellet grill.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »
Looks like Rog is climbing the ladder of new ideas and skills! GREAT LOOKING GRUB!!!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »
most excellent...☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
Nice choice for a first cook.  Great result and great looking tacos. 
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »
Now while I know a lot of you have negative opinions of  the Bradley smoker. (I still love mine)
I will say that my first experience with a pellet smoker left me more than just a little impressed.

Beautiful job on that Pork Butt Roget. You can't go wrong with smoked pulled pork!! Slide a couple of those tacos my way  :thumbup:

I bought a Bradley Smoker (OBS) at least 10 years ago and I smoked/cooked some great meals with it. But my problem with the OBS - like many others - was the inability of the 500 watt heating element to achieve temps above 250ºF or even get to 250º when the ambient temperature was cold and the poor recovery time when the door is opened. Therefore, many of us starting modifying our OBS to include a second heating element or replacing the 500 watt element with a 900 watt element. Course, this modification required using an Auber PID controller and beefing up the wires. On my Blog I get many daily search requests on how to modify a Bradley Smoker. The best link for the modifications we made in the old days is no longer available ... but after some serious research I have compiled the information from that link and found the photos. I will soon be posting the info on my Blog to assist today's OBS owners.

I never could figure out why Bradley never came out with a 1,000 watt unit. I asked them a few times but never got a reply.

Back in the day, when MAK first came out, on the Bradley Smoker Forum I started reading where members started by smoking the meat in their OBS and then transferring it to the MAK to finish the cook. I even discovered that I could use the OBS in conjunction with the Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill (SRG). I put meat/poultry/etc in the SRG basket, placed the basket in the OBS, smoked the meat/poultry/etc in the OBS, and then transferred the basket into the SRG to finish the cook. Works great!

By then I learned how great the MAK wood pellet smoker-gill is at smoking meat/poultry/etc so I stopped using the OBS and started using my MAK 2 Star exclusively for my cooks. I will say that the Green Mountain Grill (GMG) Davy Crockett is a great product for a small unit and I use it on the road in my RV and for smaller cooks at home. IMHO, GMG makes a very good product for the price range ... but my MAK 2 Star has spoiled me.

Enjoy your Davy Crockett, it's a great little unit!
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Pappymn

Pork tacos
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 01:18:15 PM »
Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Roget

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 02:31:36 PM »

Back in the day, when MAK first came out, on the Bradley Smoker Forum I started reading where members started by smoking the meat in their OBS and then transferring it to the MAK to finish the cook. I even discovered that I could use the OBS in conjunction with the Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill (SRG). I put meat/poultry/etc in the SRG basket, placed the basket in the OBS, smoked the meat/poultry/etc in the OBS, and then transferred the basket into the SRG to finish the cook. Works great!

I have done that also. (the SRG thing) mostly turkey and chicken, to crisp up the skin.
If I continue to enjoy the Davey Crockett as much as I think I will, I may just use my DBS to cold smoke cheese, make jerky, hang sausage, etc..
I never really had a problem with temps with the DBS, & with those applications I won't need high temps.   ;) ;)
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 03:55:41 PM »

I have done that also. (the SRG thing) mostly turkey and chicken, to crisp up the skin.
If I continue to enjoy the Davey Crockett as much as I think I will, I may just use my DBS to cold smoke cheese, make jerky, hang sausage, etc..
I never really had a problem with temps with the DBS, & with those applications I won't need high temps.   ;) ;)

You should give the pellet grill a try on making jerky too.  I make all of my jerky on the pellet grill and it is fantastic.  great flavor and color - just a thought.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Roget

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 04:06:36 PM »
You should give the pellet grill a try on making jerky too.  I make all of my jerky on the pellet grill and it is fantastic.  great flavor and color - just a thought.

I probably will give it a try, but I usually make about 5 or 6 lbs. at a time & Davey probably is not large enough to accommodate that much.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven