Author Topic: MAK 1 Star Options that are needed  (Read 2995 times)

Offline zueth

MAK 1 Star Options that are needed
« Reply #-1 on: January 08, 2018, 12:19:41 PM »
I am looking at options available on MAK 1 and trying to determine which options you need to order:

I can see where you would want the side shelf and the upper grate.  I am a tech person, so definitely would get the MAK WiFi.  From what I have read the flame zone is only needed if you want to sear with the MAK, which I don't want to do so don't think I need it.

Is there a need for a front shelf?

Do you need the rib rack? or is that just so you can fit more racks of ribs on the grill at once?

How many meat probes come with the MAK?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: MAK 1 Star Options that are needed
« on: January 08, 2018, 12:30:09 PM »
The MAK 1 Star and2 Star are similar in this respect... so, who I have a 2 Star I figured I would offer my Ideas. Don't forget - you can call MAK  and talk to Bruce about anything as well.... he will not pressure you in any manner.

I love the front shelf. What I thought of as an "extra" is a real asset on the MAK. And get an upper grate for sure. I do not have the split grate, so I can't tell you about it. I have the full grate.

The Flame Zone is a nice feature....but you could upgrade to that later if you do not currently intend to grill on you MAK.

Not sure about probe count - maybe 1 comes with it?

More folks will chime in soon.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline NativeTxn

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 12:41:55 PM »
Would the side and front shelf be overkill? Or do both come in handy?

I was considering just doing front shelf, but wondered if both are useful or only one is necessary?

Also, does the tool hook attach to the front shelf? Or can it only attach to the side shelf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:30:19 PM by NativeTxn »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 01:32:55 PM »
I would go with the front shelf.

Now the FlameZone at 400.00 could be held off on. Try cranking the MAK up and use some grill grates and see if you want to spend the extra...............

Oh, if you don't get the MAK cover, please get one from somewhere.......I wouldn't leave that beaut uncovered at night..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:28:51 PM »
Unless Mak has changed covers since I bought mine, I do not recommend the Mak cover. Mine faded and fell apart way too soon considering the price.
Cooker top shelf is a must

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »
Would the side and front shelf be overkill? Or do both come in handy?

I was considering just doing front shelf, but wondered if both are useful or only one is necessary?

Also, does the tool hook attach to the front shelf? Or can it only attach to the side shelf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the tool hook only attaches to the side shelf....I do not see a front half for the 1 Star on the accessory list. Clif is busy processing his first muzzle-loader deer ( be sure to congratulate Tenthunter if you get a chance ;)) otherwise - he will know all the scoop on the 1 Star.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 08:34:58 PM »
I had an older 1 Star and now have a new 2 Star. If I were to buy a new 1 Star today my accessory list would be:

-Full upper grate
-Side shelf
-Cover (I believe MAK is in the process of changing cover manufacturers and is currently out of stock. It’s been said that the quality will be considerably better when they return.)

IMO and for my needs, all other accessories could be added on an as-need basis.

My 1 Star had the lower bottom shelf which in my opinion was more for aesthetics then anything, but I loved it :)

If you cook large amounts of ribs (>6 slabs) the rib rack is pretty nice.

The MAK’s come with 1 temp probe. Additional probes ain’t cheap, especially if you order the armored probe (which I’d recommend).

From my experience, and the experience of others that I have spoken with, the WiFi can be quite frustrating as it tends to drop connection quite often...and when it does, it reverts to the SMOKE setting no matter what your cooking temp was set at. I returned my MAK Mobile setup for a refund... just wasn’t for me.

As far as my MAK, it is hands down one of the best cookers that I have ever owned...and I’ve had a few very nice cookers pass through my backyard :)

MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 08:56:48 PM »
I had an older 1 Star and now have a new 2 Star. If I were to buy a new 1 Star today my accessory list would be:

-Full upper grate
-Side shelf
-Cover (I believe MAK is in the process of changing cover manufacturers and is currently out of stock. It’s been said that the quality will be considerably better when they return.)

My 1 Star had the lower bottom shelf which in my opinion was more for aesthetics then anything, but I loved it :)

The MAK’s come with 1 temp probe. Additional probes ain’t cheap, especially if you order the armored probe (which I’d recommend).

From my experience, and the experience of others that I have spoken with, the WiFi can be quite frustrating as it tends to drop connection quite often...and when it does, it reverts to the SMOKE setting no matter what your cooking temp was set at. I returned my MAK Mobile setup for a refund... just wasn’t for me.

As far as my MAK, it is hands down one of the best cookers that I have ever owned...and I’ve had a few very nice cookers pass through my backyard :)

Sounds like a reasonable approach. I would make one suggestion though, considering the WiFi option: The location of the MAK - and the Wifi router are something to look at. Meaning - the once I changed the location of my WiFi router - I had perfect signal lock. Each situation is different and in some cases, re-positioning may not be an option. But if so....it is worth trying before giving up. It helped my WiFi reception for my TV, and my laptop as well. SO - it was not a "MAK problem"...it was a WLAN problem. ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 10:18:23 PM »

-Full upper grate
-Side shelf

Sounds like a reasonable approach. I would make one suggestion though, considering the WiFi option: The location of the MAK - and the Wifi router are something to look at. Meaning - the once I changed the location of my WiFi router - I had perfect signal lock. Each situation is different and in some cases, re-positioning may not be an option. But if so....it is worth trying before giving up. It helped my WiFi reception for my TV, and my laptop as well. SO - it was not a "MAK problem"...it was a WLAN problem. ;)
I can honestly say that I did try to bolster the signal strength for the WiFi option. I went as far as purchasing 2 different repeaters...one entry level and the other a pretty nice one. Had crazy strong signal through the house. Had no problem getting my MAK to connect. It was always an hour or two into the long cooks that I’d lose signal. I know that the MAK will attempt to reconnect numerous times before giving up and reverting to SMOKE.  Mine always reverted to SMOKE as the numerous attempts failed. Since then, I have spoken with several other MAK owners, and several of those owners reported identical issues.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 10:37:27 PM »
I have had zero luck with repeaters. But a mesh system is legit. I have the Google one and love it. Mesh is the future

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 10:47:34 PM »
I have owned 3 mak 1 stars. Cover, full upper rack, lower shelf. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 10:51:59 PM »
Hmmm...well - I have not experienced signal drop out once I re-located the "point of broadcast".

Couple more things: you lose about 1/2 of the signal with a repeater. But - as Pappy pointed out, mesh system are solid. And - 2.4ghz. is much more dependable than 5 ghz. ( if that is part of the equation). Lastly...tho 2.4 has better range and is more stable, it is also much more susceptible to interference, and not just from neighbors...SO many different electronics use 2.4 ghz nowadays.

I wonder if we could request a wired LAN connection on the controller?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 10:53:04 PM »
I have had zero luck with repeaters. But a mesh system is legit. I have the Google one and love it. Mesh is the future

Perhaps that would have solved my issue. One thing I did learn in the short time I had my MAK WiFi...because of the programability of the Pellet Boss, I’m not sure I’d even get much use out the the WiFi if it was reliable. The Pellet Boss is so easy to setup and walk away. And there is NO risk of ever losing signal and very little chance of “glitchy” stuff happening while you are away.  With that said, I completely understand the allurement of WiFi, and am not saying it’s the wrong choice for everybody, because that wouldn’t be true. It just wasn’t for me :)

Offline rwalters

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 10:54:05 PM »
...and side shelf ;)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 10:59:48 PM »
...and side shelf ;)

It's easier to get in and out off the back of my truck without the side shelf.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66