Author Topic: Photography  (Read 22577 times)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »
What kind of spider is that RAD? I got bit by a Brown recluse when I was 16 and my arm swelled up the size of my leg. I have a scar the size of a silver dollar on my arm to this day. Cool picture but I kind of sway away from spiders now a days or just squish them ;)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 08:34:43 PM »
RAD - really nice shot!
CaptJack - very nice PS work - for me, just a bit high on the contrast.

This is a great thread - and to T's question, I think deserves its own place in the pantheon.

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline RAD

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 08:42:53 PM »
Thanks CAPT for the PS. I took it on an overcast day and the lens got a little foggy but I like the pic so left it.

What kind of spider? I don’t really don’t know. I’ve tried to Google it but nothing close.
Love to cook and eat

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »
CaptJack - Very nice! Yes, the other was good too...  ;) But this one adds the saturation to the background, and brings out the spider without giving him the "chrome" effect. I really like it - adds to the shot that RAD captured.

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 11:45:54 PM »
Two really great photos from Biggles, super. CaptJack did a great job of improving the spider photo. Like Biggles said if you get crap in you get crap out, but I agree with CaptJack that most all digital photos can be improved with software. Most of the time all I need is a levels adjustments and a sharpening with unsharp mask, those two adjustments take me about 4 sec. per photo, and is easy to do while I am batch sizing a group of photos to post. A lot of the cell phones will put out a good photo with good resolution, I think the biggest problem probably is holding that little thing still to get a sharp photo. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 12:03:37 AM »
A few of my favorite recent shots from Central and South America...
Some are a Nikon D300 and the others a Fuji X10 (kinda feels and looks like my old Lieca... it's fun!)
David

[attachment deleted by admin]
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
A few more - thanks for looking!

David

[attachment deleted by admin]
Member #

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 07:28:47 AM »
I just got rid of all my film cameras from the 70s... Nikon FEs, F3s and F4s. Never got an F5... retired from the newspaper biz. (My daughter in London got one of the FEs... now she's trying to find film for it <lol>.)
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »
heck, I still have my darkroom
I haven't had the heart to take it apart
and it's not worth anything anymore ;)
..and I had visions of doing fine art B&W...
film & color prints up to 20x24

Wow, nice set up capt!   I used dark rooms when I was youinger but digital cameras started coming along about the same time as I was doing film and really liked the digital better (cheaper  ;) )
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 11:00:25 AM »
Great stuff David,
I can see you with a Nikkormat with a 50mm f1.4 lens and rolls of Tri-X
in another lifetime  ;)

I still have a Nikkormat  ;)
Thank you, CaptJack. Actually, mine was a Nikkorrex... and I do still have it. I still shoot some Tri-X (it was my favorite!) just hard getting it processed anymore. Your darkroom looks great - wish I hadn't taken mine down. Would enjoy seeing more of your work.

David
Member #

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 11:16:52 AM »
heck, I still have my darkroom
I haven't had the heart to take it apart
and it's not worth anything anymore ;)
..and I had visions of doing fine art B&W...
film & color prints up to 20x24

Yeah !!!  I like the part where you made it white, you know what you're up to.  I say leave it, inspiration could hit any time and you need to be ready.  It could happen.

A friend gave me an old Nikomat with a 58mm 1.4 a few years ago.  You don't see those much anymore, exceptionally worthless, even on e bay.  I still have my old 35mm rigs, really need to offload, but I don't wanna.  I have 2 plain prism F's, an F2a, F3, F4s and an F5 along with an FE2, FM2, FE and a Leica IIIf with 2 lenses, probably more.

Fire, hole, grate.

xo, Biggles

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 11:22:41 AM »
Beautiful work folks. Keep it up - and we will set up a forum section devoted to teaching others how to take great pictures of food!

What do you think? Will you guys post in it, and help build that section a little?
T

Hay,

Well, hmm.  There's clearly a good sized gaggle of people here who can offer helping hands in this department.  I would like to know if there's anyone interested in improving their skills?  Between google and getting out there and practicing, practicing, practicing, there's already quite a bit out there to be done on your own.  Maybe just sharing and critiquing?

Get out and shoot!

xo, Biggles

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »
Tommy, I've been a shooting pro since I got home from Nam in 1971
actually I was a shooter before I went to Nam and humped a Nikon through Nam
my minor is in Photography, Commercial Art major, Univ.of Houston
I was a fine art student all through my youth and learned photography in art school to shoot my portfolio (polarized slides)
I've had a darkroom since I was 11
and was one of the school paper & yearbook photographers through high school
I shoot commercial, industrial, wedding, portrait, underwater
I used to own a studio, taught professional underwater photography, printing, high school photography
past president/founder of the Houston Underwater Photographic Society
past prez, editor of the Society of Photographers in Industry for over 10 years

a collection of my Nam pics are in this book
yes, that's me and my squad on the covers
Through The Valley

I want that book.  I will get that book.

I think I found your camera.  Here's one of my two plain prism F's.  The prism looks as though you used it to open a can of rations.

xo, Biggles

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »
Beautiful work folks. Keep it up - and we will set up a forum section devoted to teaching others how to take great pictures of food!

What do you think? Will you guys post in it, and help build that section a little?
T

Hay,

Well, hmm.  There's clearly a good sized gaggle of people here who can offer helping hands in this department.  I would like to know if there's anyone interested in improving their skills?  Between google and getting out there and practicing, practicing, practicing, there's already quite a bit out there to be done on your own.  Maybe just sharing and critiquing?

Get out and shoot!

xo, Biggles

I am definitely wanting to improve my skills - that's one of the things I look forward to - learning from the rest of you. I have no "training" in photography, just shooting and re-shooting. I would enjoy hearing from folks who are really good at this about how they approach the shot, what goes on in their mind in choosing lenses, apertures, etc, lighting tips, etc... Ya, in short I look forward to learning.

David
Member #

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »
I wouldn't mind seing a thread on photography weather it's food related or not.  I believe this would really help those that don't take many shots of food or have a hard time trying to get that perfect shot. 

I say let the Capt and anyone else who wants to teach jump in I'm read to learn!!!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION