Author Topic: Photography  (Read 22518 times)

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
Re: Photography
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 11:44:39 AM »

I am definitely wanting to improve my skills - that's one of the things I look forward to - learning from the rest of you. I have no "training" in photography, just shooting and re-shooting. I would enjoy hearing from folks who are really good at this about how they approach the shot, what goes on in their mind in choosing lenses, apertures, etc, lighting tips, etc... Ya, in short I look forward to learning.

David

OoOoOoo, fun!  You can either accept or deny, I would recommend you read through http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm  Ken lays it down so all that techy stuff is very easy to digest and cuts to the chase very quickly.  His stuff isn't necessarily for food photography, but the tech is solid.  I was lucky enough to spend 3 days shooting with him down in Monterey 3 years ago, a really fun guy.

xo, Biggles

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »

I am definitely wanting to improve my skills - that's one of the things I look forward to - learning from the rest of you. I have no "training" in photography, just shooting and re-shooting. I would enjoy hearing from folks who are really good at this about how they approach the shot, what goes on in their mind in choosing lenses, apertures, etc, lighting tips, etc... Ya, in short I look forward to learning.

David

OoOoOoo, fun!  You can either accept or deny, I would recommend you read through http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm  Ken lays it down so all that techy stuff is very easy to digest and cuts to the chase very quickly.  His stuff isn't necessarily for food photography, but the tech is solid.  I was lucky enough to spend 3 days shooting with him down in Monterey 3 years ago, a really fun guy.

xo, Biggles

Ken's site is one of my favorites. I often look at DP Review when contemplating a new (used) lens, but never consider anything without reading Ken's reviews. I also just enjoy reading his stuff to better learn how to do what I want to do. In fact, when I wanted to start shooting sports (my daughters play basketball, volleyball, fastpitch softball and gymnastics) Ken's site was a source of inspiration and solid technique that saved me tons of exposures to get started. Like everything, I am still working to improve, but I have to say I really enjoyed the results faster than I would have just trying to do it on my own. I bet it was a blast shooting with him. Would like to hear more about it. Maybe some of the shots?

David
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:56:23 AM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 12:05:30 PM »

Ken's site is one of my favorites. I often look at DP Review when contemplating a new (used) lens, but never consider anything without reading Ken's reviews. I also just enjoy reading his stuff to better learn how to do what I want to do. In fact, when I wanted to start shooting sports (my daughters play basketball, volleyball, fastpitch softball and gymnastics) Ken's site was a source of inspiration and solid technique that saved me tons of exposures to get started. Like everything, I am still working to improve, but I have to say I really enjoyed the results faster than I would have just trying to do it on my own. I bet it was a blast shooting with him. Would like to hear more about it. Maybe some of the shots?

David

Well, if you have that underneath your belt, I would see what Capt. Jack would have you do.  What I've done in the past is find people who are better than me, then spend time shooting with them.

As far as the class goes, I didn't really enjoy it directly.  Being 1 of 30 shooters en masse out in public doesn't interest me.  I can do that on my own, at my own pace.  What I should have done was to put my camera away, and tucked myself in with Ken asking questions.  See how his mind works, what is he seeing?  What's going on in his head?  Live and learn.  Here are the shots I knabbed:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/7295452@N03/sets/72157619804956560/

xo, Biggles

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 02:39:07 PM »
As far as the class goes, I didn't really enjoy it directly.  Being 1 of 30 shooters en masse out in public doesn't interest me.  I can do that on my own, at my own pace.  What I should have done was to put my camera away, and tucked myself in with Ken asking questions.  See how his mind works, what is he seeing?  What's going on in his head?  Live and learn.  Here are the shots I knabbed:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/7295452@N03/sets/72157619804956560/

xo, Biggles

Biggles,

You make a great point - spending some time to get to know the "expert" without hitting the shutter - just listen, watch and learn... I would really like to do that with some of the folks that post here as well as some other sites - including Ken Rockwell. When I started going digital I fell into the same trap as I am sure many do - buy a big card and snap as many exposures as possible - something good is bound to happen.  ::) After a trip to Africa, I returned with over 3000 expposures  ??? Yes, there actually were a bunch of really good ones. But, as I sifted (for hours) through the dredge, I realized I was not learning to shoot better. I relied on instinct and succeeded many times - but not in a way that I could replicate it. Since then I have forced myself to shoot more like I was using film - considering the "cost" of processing and printing. I press the shutter release a lot less, but the results are getting better.

Thank you for sharing your pictures - it is interesting to see how you look at things. The high contrast and "painterly" images seem to be one of your favorite ways of looking at things. I'd love to see more. I like street scenes and typically see them in B&W - as I look at my own stuff those are the ones I keep coming back to.

I'd enjoy continuing this conversation and bringing in other folks - it is a great way for me to learn.

Thanks!

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Sandman

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 03:38:22 PM »
Shot this one in Cabo. Not bad for a cell phone pic. The boat was the Attessa IV. If you get a chance look it up online, pretty cool.

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
Biggles, lovin' your old road warrior "F"

Yeah, back when bragging rights went to the thug that could keep on shooting without batteries.  Batteries were for amateurs.  Such a wonderful piece.

When I'm feeling frisky, I pack my F4 and a digital body, one set of lenses and the SB-800.  I would rather shoot my F5, but the RGB meter on matrix ain't usable with B&W film, no sir.

I had other thoughts to share, but step son is practicing drums in the room next to me.  Nerves and psyche are going south ...

xo, Biggles

ps - Oh yeah, now I remember.  And I too have the LX5 that gets tucked away, amazing little rig.  Perfect everything every time.

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 04:17:52 PM »

Is there anyone in the East Bay Area of the greater San Francisco Bay area that would like to get together for a Grilled Food Photography Gathering?

xo, Biggles

Offline Lumpy

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 04:49:35 PM »
Off my dock at the cottage
Never underestimate the predictablity of stupidity.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 04:51:50 PM »
Lumpy - beautiful - view AND photo!

David
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 04:55:04 PM »

Is there anyone in the East Bay Area of the greater San Francisco Bay area that would like to get together for a Grilled Food Photography Gathering?

xo, Biggles

Biggles - I will be there on Friday - not sure how much time I will have (client meeting) but if it looks like I have some time - I'll give you a shout (share your number on a PM?) Funny, my everyday tool is a Fuji X10 - similar to the Lumix. Feels like an old range finder...  ;) :D

David
Member #

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2013, 05:14:08 PM »

Biggles - I will be there on Friday - not sure how much time I will have (client meeting) but if it looks like I have some time - I'll give you a shout (share your number on a PM?) Funny, my everyday tool is a Fuji X10 - similar to the Lumix. Feels like an old range finder...  ;) :D

David

That Fuji rig gets great reviews, would love to shoot one for a bit and see for myself.  As long as it's with you everywhere you go.

I'll see if I can figure out how to PM you on this board, see if that works.

xo, Biggles

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2013, 05:35:06 PM »

David

That Fuji rig gets great reviews, would love to shoot one for a bit and see for myself.  As long as it's with you everywhere you go.

I'll see if I can figure out how to PM you on this board, see if that works.

xo, Biggles

That's the good part - to most folks it looks like a tourist camera - so I can do my street shots with minimal looks... For me it looks kinda like an old Lieca - so I feel "cool"... lol... I will bring it this week just in case we can meet up - you can play with it. The one thing I find it is pretty light sensitive - lower light is a bit dicey - noisy... might be I haven't gotten deep enough in the menus. One thing I really liked about film was NOT having too much to learn to just run the camera...

David
Member #

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »

That's the good part - to most folks it looks like a tourist camera - so I can do my street shots with minimal looks... For me it looks kinda like an old Lieca - so I feel "cool"... lol... I will bring it this week just in case we can meet up - you can play with it. The one thing I find it is pretty light sensitive - lower light is a bit dicey - noisy... might be I haven't gotten deep enough in the menus. One thing I really liked about film was NOT having too much to learn to just run the camera...

David

Yeah, that's how I feel.  GET OUT OF MY WAY YOUUUUU CAMERA !!! 

Ken says the Fuji X100 comes with the auto ISO OFF, "just like film".  Find that, turn it on!

xo, Biggles

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »

Yeah, that's how I feel.  GET OUT OF MY WAY YOUUUUU CAMERA !!! 

Ken says the Fuji X100 comes with the auto ISO OFF, "just like film".  Find that, turn it on!

xo, Biggles

LOL - every basketball game I am yelling that at my Nikon D300s. But at least Ken helped me get the basic set up right so I only have to consider the light / color at the particular gym. My Fuji is the X10 - wish it was the X100 - but well.. only had a few quarters to spend... Still I really like it for a street camera. Some of my favorite shots were made with this - once I really started to learn it. And I do recall spending a lot of time learning my old film cameras. it was funny, though, every time I "upgraded" my film camera I complained about all the new stuff to learn. Now when I shoot film, I reach for the oldest most basic tools - Lieca, Lomo, Nikkorrex, and Nikonos for underwater.

Dang, the more we talk the more I think I should set up a darkroom!

Cheers,

David
Member #

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 06:16:17 PM »

LOL - every basketball game I am yelling that at my Nikon D300s. But at least Ken helped me get the basic set up right so I only have to consider the light / color at the particular gym. My Fuji is the X10 - wish it was the X100 - but well.. only had a few quarters to spend... Still I really like it for a street camera. Some of my favorite shots were made with this - once I really started to learn it. And I do recall spending a lot of time learning my old film cameras. it was funny, though, every time I "upgraded" my film camera I complained about all the new stuff to learn. Now when I shoot film, I reach for the oldest most basic tools - Lieca, Lomo, Nikkorrex, and Nikonos for underwater.

Dang, the more we talk the more I think I should set up a darkroom!

Cheers,

David

Ah, gotcha.  I've done a few indoor sports, graduations and related over the years.  Sure, I got some really nice usable shots.  But without a really fast, long lens it can get pretty dicey.  And, I've had the same thoughts about putting the darkroom back up or at least processing my own b&w film.  But it really came down to, what is my real purpose for taking pictures?  To share.  To share with friends, family and online.  Doing that with film can really take the fun out of it.  I'm keeping my 35mm rigs for now, just in case.

xo, Biggles