Author Topic: Meat Videos and Tutorials  (Read 13229 times)

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
Meat Videos and Tutorials
« Reply #-1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:53:57 AM »
Back in 2008 I had planned a 2 hour DVD video on “Home Meat Cutting” that included kitchen sanitation, knife sharpening and safety, cutting up and spatchcocking chickens, boning out a pork butt, cutting the cushion meat out of a pork shoulder picnic, cutting a boneless pork loin, boning out/seasoning/grilling a leg of lamb, cutting up beef rib eyes, strip loins, top sirloins, sirloin ‘tips’, bottom sirloins, trip tips and tenderloins.

I had couple of amateur photographer friends of mine fly in from up north (this was February, so they were more than happy to help!), I wrote the script, bought the meats, camera and other equipment that we’d need.

Here we are going over the script and getting prepped ;)

We spent the better part of three days doing the filming, drinking some beer and eating all that good food that we cut and cooked. We ended up with 13 segments that looked pretty good when the camcorder was hooked up to the TV. Now, onto the editing!

I’d purchased both Nero and Pinnacle video editing software, but for the life of me I could not get the videos from the camera’s vhs tapes to my computer for editing. I spent about a week trying to find out what was wrong, so I took the tapes to a local camera store. They told me the tapes were empty!!! WTH??? Called a buddy in Atlanta that was pretty good with camera’s, video editing, etc. He said there was ‘something’ there but couldn’t get to it. He suggested that he could take it to a video lab, so I told him to go for it. Well, they got part of the vids we had filmed, but they were compressed so small they were useless and when blown up you could not see crap! 

Well, I could not afford to do another three day filming session, so I did a few vids as I went along for the next couple of years. I stored some on Photobucket and some on my personal account at my internet provider. Somewhere in 2011 my account at Photobucket got hacked and about 100 photos and half a dozen video’s were either stolen or rendered useless. I decided right then that I was DONE with doing video tutorials! I dropped Comcast after 11 years and didn’t realize until it was too late that I had some of my vids stored there (bash head)!

I DO have some vids saved, but they are mostly bloopers or of a bad quality. Probably some more on the dozens of cd or dvd disks I have and someday will go back thru them. Now you know why there are not going to be many video tutorials being posted. Sorry…….
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 08:58:31 AM by Rummm »
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
Re: Meat Videos and Tutorials
« on: April 22, 2013, 10:24:34 AM »
Man, too bad I wasn't anywhere near you. I'd be willing to do all this over again...
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 10:31:35 AM »
Working on a solution Rummm.....We would all benefit from having these available to us. PM me please. ;)
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:31:51 PM »
I guess you'r going to have to invite us all over for a new taping Rummm.  Seriously, good luck getting them restored.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »
Rumm, sorry to hear of your recent loss of video. I am sure you have tried every method to restore the image on the tape, but I have a thought that might help. Try to play back the original "master" tapes in the viewfinder of the very same camera that you recorded them in. If you can see your images on the camcorder, try taking the output straight out of the camera into your NLE (Pinnacle) on your computer. The reason for this is simple. The heads on your camcorder are probably not lined up with any other tape machine you have played it on and you will not see video. Your videos will probably only play back in the camera or tape deck that made the original recording. This happened to me except for the fact that I had the camera heads re-aligned and now I can't play back any tape I made with the old head alignment. Luckily, I had everything archived. Good luck and I hope this might help. By the way, it's time to upgrade to tapeless.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:34:23 PM by IR2dum »

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 04:07:14 AM »
Rumm, sorry to hear of your recent loss of video. I am sure you have tried every method to restore the image on the tape, but I have a thought that might help. Try to play back the original "master" tapes in the viewfinder of the very same camera that you recorded them in. If you can see your images on the camcorder, try taking the output straight out of the camera into your NLE (Pinnacle) on your computer. The reason for this is simple. The heads on your camcorder are probably not lined up with any other tape machine you have played it on and you will not see video. Your videos will probably only play back in the camera or tape deck that made the original recording. This happened to me except for the fact that I had the camera heads re-aligned and now I can't play back any tape I made with the old head alignment. Luckily, I had everything archived. Good luck and I hope this might help. By the way, it's time to upgrade to tapeless.

Thanks, but the 'original' camera has since bitten the dust and gone to camera heaven :(
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 12:26:12 PM »

Thanks, but the 'original' camera has since bitten the dust and gone to camera heaven :(

OOPS!