Author Topic: Steak Names  (Read 4820 times)

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
Steak Names
« Reply #-1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »
The North American Meat Processor's Association (NAMP) has been trying to get continuity in the naming of steaks/meat in different regions of the country for years. The effort is voluntary and until it is mandatory, the Delmonico Steak will be three different steaks in three different parts of the country. I've compiled a list over the years of the different steak names and I get asked on a frequent basis what a particular steak is. This list is not complete, but only pertaining to Grilling/bbq'ing type steaks.

BEEF LOIN

T-Bone = T-Bone or Porterhouse

Porterhouse = Porterhouse, T-Bone, Commander's Cut

Beef Tenderloin = Tenderloin Steak, Filet Mignon, Tournedo Steak, Chateau Briand, King Steak, Medallion Steak

Boneless Top Loin Strip
   New York Strip Steak, Hotel Steak, Ambassador Steak, Strip Steak, Kansas City Steak, Boneless Club Steak, Veiny   Steak, Loin Steak

Bone-in Top Loin Strip
   Strip Steak, NY Strip Steak, Shell Steak, Sirloin Strip Steak, Club Steak, Chip Club Steak, Delmonico Steak, Country Club Steak

Bone-in Sirloin
   Sirloin Steak, Round Bone Sirloin Steak, Flat Bone Sirloin Steak, Pin Bone Sirloin Steak, Shell Hip Steak, Texas BBQ Steak or Texas Grill Steak

Boneless Sirloin
   Sirloin Steak, Boneless Sirloin Steak, Sirloin Cap Steak, Top Sirloin Steak, Culotte Steak, Shell Steak, Rump Steak, Short Cut Rump Steak, Butt Steak

BEEF RIB

Rib Eye Steak, Rib Steak, Delmonico Steak, Club Steak, Market Steak, Beauty Steak, Spencer Steak, Breakfast Steak, Griller Steak

BEEF CHUCK
   Chuck Eye Steak, Chuck Sizzler Steak
   Boneless Top Blade Steak = Flat Iron Steak, Chicken Steak, Butter Steak, Blade Steak, Top Chuck Steak, Patio Steak

MISCELLANEOUS CUTS

London Broil = Top Round Steak, Chuck Shoulder Steak, Sirloin tip Steak, flank Steak
   Balltip Steaks = Petite Steaks, Sirloin Sizzlers, Sirloin Filet Steak, Filet of Sirloin, Bottom Sirloin Steak
   Tri-Tip Steaks = Triangle Steaks
   Flank Steak = Jiffy Steak, London Broil, Flank Steak Filet
   Hanger Steak = Butcher's Steak, Hanging Tenderloin, Jiffy Steak
   Skirt Steak = Inside/Outside Skirt Steak, Fajita Steak, Philadelphia Steak
Denver Steak=This steak is cut from the underblade portion of the beef chuck roll.  It's official URMIS name would be Beef Chuck Underblade Center Cut Boneless.  It is cut from the serratus ventralis which is a very highly marbled muscle, and is of adequate tenderness. Courtesy of Ian Shann at Tyson Foods.
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Steak Names
« on: April 26, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »
Was getting ready to ask where the Tri-Tip was but saw it at the end.  ;)
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »
Thanks for that great information, but it made my head hurt trying to figure it out. I just saw "sirloin tri-tip steak" advertised in the Publix ad in the newspaper. I am going to run in there today and see if it looks like the tri-tip the west coasties cook. If it does I am going to pick one up and try it.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 09:50:23 AM »
Excellent information. Thank you! What would be nice, IMHO, especially for newer folks, would be pictures of the various cuts in their supermarket clothes. Not saying you should do this, but maybe something we can work on over time - put in the "library" of information.

This is a big step forward.

Thanks,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 10:43:28 AM »
Thanks for that great information, but it made my head hurt trying to figure it out. I just saw "sirloin tri-tip steak" advertised in the Publix ad in the newspaper. I am going to run in there today and see if it looks like the tri-tip the west coasties cook. If it does I am going to pick one up and try it.

More than likely it will be the "steak" that you see. Sometimes they will put out a trimmed roast. If you do not see one, don't hesitate to ring the bell and ask for a Whole Tri-Tip before it's been cut :)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »
I just saw "sirloin tri-tip steak" advertised in the Publix ad in the newspaper. I am going to run in there today and see if it looks like the tri-tip the west coasties cook. If it does I am going to pick one up and try it.

It's a triangular shaped muscle on the very bottom of the bottom sirloin, so my guess is it's the real deal.  They have an incredibly good sirloin flavor that I bet you'll enjoy.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »
Great info thanks for posting
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:10:06 PM »
There are some thing on there I've never seen.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Steak Names
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 08:52:44 AM »
Never knew there were so many names out there.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »

My father was a butcher all of his life, apprenticed when young in Lithuania.  I believe that this is the cut that was his favorite.  So, naturally, it was my favorite too.  He called it a hanging tender.  I used to go into the cooler and stare at the sides of beef and that tube of meat hanging down and try to visualize what function it served when the heifer was alive.  At one time I was convinced it was the diaphragm.  In hindsight I'm not sure.  It was connected well back, high on a hanging side of beef.

I haven't eaten one for at least 45 years, maybe longer.  I think I'll try to find one.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »
... At one time I was convinced it was the diaphragm.

I've always understood it was part of the diaphragm and "hangs" from the other part (skirt steak).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Pappymn

Steak Names
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 11:56:25 PM »
Can not over state how the beef industry shoots itself in the foot with this stuff.

How many of us know-legible people see people in the store totally confused as what to buy. I see it frequently. Does not have to be this way.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 04:17:02 AM »

My father was a butcher all of his life, apprenticed when young in Lithuania.  I believe that this is the cut that was his favorite.  So, naturally, it was my favorite too.  He called it a hanging tender.  I used to go into the cooler and stare at the sides of beef and that tube of meat hanging down and try to visualize what function it served when the heifer was alive.  At one time I was convinced it was the diaphragm.  In hindsight I'm not sure.  It was connected well back, high on a hanging side of beef.

I haven't eaten one for at least 45 years, maybe longer.  I think I'll try to find one.

According to Wikipedia (rolling eyes)..........

"Anatomically, the hanger steak is said to "hang" from the diaphragm of the steer.The diaphragm is one muscle, commonly cut into two separate cuts of meat: the "hanger steak" traditionally considered more flavorful, and the outer skirt steak composed of tougher muscle within the diaphragm. The hanger is attached to the last rib and the spine near the kidneys."