Author Topic: Marrow bones  (Read 15305 times)

Offline RickB

Marrow bones
« Reply #-1 on: April 29, 2013, 05:53:30 PM »
Most grocerie stores dont have them, good idea where to find them? Even most of the small butchers are only cutting primals.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:56:39 PM by RickB »

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: Marrow bones
« on: April 29, 2013, 06:10:41 PM »
My Dad, many years ago used to take the bone marrow from bones and spread it on bread.

Can't say I have tried it myself.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 06:25:15 PM »
Most grocerie stores dont have them, good idea where to find them? Even most of the small butchers are only cutting primals.

Most marrow bones stay with the processor now days. However, they can be ordered by the butcher shop or the store. Just ask (really curious to the answers you get!)
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:39:02 PM »
If you tell me what to do with it (has to be really good) I will ask.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline RickB

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »

Most marrow bones stay with the processor now days. However, they can be ordered by the butcher shop or the store. Just ask (really curious to the answers you get!)

Last time I saw them was at a asian farmers market. But the were the small ones more for cooking than eating. I want the big ones you can stick a straw in!  :D

Offline RickB

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:47:08 PM »
My Dad, many years ago used to take the bone marrow from bones and spread it on bread.

Nectar of the Gods!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 06:51:57 PM »

My grandfather did the same thing.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RickB

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:53:54 PM »

There are many recipies on the net. My fav is to roast for 15 to 25 min at 450 till the marrow is like butter. Spread on a toasted buttered baquette slice rubbed with a raw garlic clove and and die a happy man!  :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:07:25 PM by RickB »

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 03:37:11 AM »
Love marrow.  Really comes down to having a butcher who will work with you to get them.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:23:32 AM »

Also, if you know any one that owns a restaurant, they can order them from one of their suppliers.

Offline RickB

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:16:16 PM »
Oh whAt happened to the good old days when butchers had sides hanging in the back. Most of my family is from KC and they always bought sides and split them up.

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 06:59:29 PM »
Oh whAt happened to the good old days when butchers had sides hanging in the back. Most of my family is from KC and they always bought sides and split them up.

Good luck with that.

The last two decades have seen a tremendous change in the way you, the consumer, buy meat. If you look closely at the meat counter you'll see that the fresh cut meat section has been reduced drastically and replaced with 'ready to eat' packaged meals, heat 'n serve meats and cry-o-vac cuts of beef, pork and chicken.

Along with the disappearing fresh cuts of meat, I'm sure you've noticed that all the meat counter personnel have also disappeared. The age of finding a highly skilled meat cutter in your large supermarkets and discount/box stores is basically over. How often have you asked some one in the meat department a question and you get a blank stare in return?Or, "I dunno"...."Ah..ah...ah..let me find out"....."Jeez, how do I know, I was bagging groceries til yesterday".

Offline RickB

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 07:17:05 PM »
Been more than two decades! More like four >:(

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 04:41:25 PM »

You can make some terrific sauces with marrow; Bordelaise sauce for meat, suga sauce for pasta and others.  Younger generations reject them, in the same way they reject organ meat, tongue and the like.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »
[You can make some terrific sauces with marrow; Bordelaise sauce for meat, suga sauce for pasta and others.  Younger generations reject them, in the same way they reject organ meat, tongue and the like.
[/quote]

At least around the Northwest here, there's been a bit of resurgence in popularity of marrow bones amongst the younger crowd.  I've been to a couple of restaurants in Portland that have marrow bones on the appetizer menu (and a few more that have added osso buco to their dinner selections).  A few of the larger Asian markets that carry bones, but definitely not standard stock for 'regular' stores. 

As for organ meats, I am one lucky girl to have grown up eating all that good stuff!  There are a few Mexican places around that have 'lengua' on the menu, and thankfully a few groceries carry beef tongue around here too.  I've introduced a lot of friends to organ meats (we raise our own chickens and rabbits), and they are always surprised with how delicious they are, since they didn't grow up eating it.  My 14 year old step son hasn't taken the mental 'plunge' for tongue yet, but sure eats his share of sauteed rabbit liver! 

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/