Author Topic: Low and Slow safety  (Read 15570 times)

Offline MSP

Low and Slow safety
« Reply #-1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:17:48 PM »
I read the article here on the dangers of low and slow Turkey.

But outside of Turkey/Poultry is the dangerzone from cooking low and slow and issue with other cuts of meat like Beaf and Pork?

For example Prime Rib is cooked low and slow and is finished at a temperature of 130 degrees a lot of times...which in theory means the Meat never gets out of the dangerzone.

Now I know because a prime rib is a large cut of meat that is intact there are is typically no pathogens or bad bugs past about .5 inches of the surface.

But what about pork or low and slow ribs?

Or is the dangerzone more and issue with poultry?

Thanks

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Low and Slow safety
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:01:48 PM »
The danger zone is more of an issue with poultry than beef.

Poultry are carriers of salmonella and beef is not. Salmonella is located in their muscle therefore a higher internal temperature is required to kill it.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:47:20 PM »
Yeah, I think chicken is cooked pretty fast.  I don't know of any diseases beef has. I think hogs used to have trigonometry, or something like that, but they no longer get it so there is no worry about it.  Of course, when I was growing up we cooked them low and slow then and still didn't get any of that trigonometry then.  I've heard of the danger zone but I would be concerned only with it for poultry.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:13:55 AM »
I don't even goof around with slo cooking poultry, crank up the heat and stay away from the emergency room. Also when checking temps in whole birds..just don't check the temp in one thigh...check both.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 08:15:26 AM »
The "zone" is typically an extended stay at 140 or less  but some meats, like poultry, need even more special handling as has already been pointed out.  Most "barbeque" low and slow cooking is smoking, which uses temperatures in the low 200's.  Some other methods (Sous Vide, e.g.) are lower and slower.

Remember, it isn't just the cooking time that needs to be considered for "zone" exposure, but also what you do with your hunk of critter after you've cooked it.  Meat sitting around on the counter or table during and after the meal is a risk.  My rule is 30 minutes from cooker to fridge  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline MSP

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:17:25 AM »
I got a pretty good understanding of the dangerzone.

My question is more along as far as the Dangerzone "during the cook" the issue seems to be poultry especially large birds like Turkey.

Other cuts of meat like RIBS doesn't seem to have the same danger zone issue "during the cook" as poultry can....am I correct?

I know ALL cuts of meat / food have the same risks of the time / temperature danger zone before the cook (food prep) and after the cook ( food sitting out).

Am I understanding it correctly?

Thanks guys!

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 11:21:50 AM »
MSP,  I think you have it right. When cooking poultry, cook it fast and it spends little time in the DZ if it is handled right before the cooking starts. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »
You've got a grip on it.  Beef, pork and mutton can be cooked "low and slow" relatively safely but you can't totally ignore good procedure with them.  When cooking fowl, smoke it quickly if you want to then get the IT on up.  Never cook birds totally low and slow.  Don't leave food at room temperature for extended periods.  When in doubt about anything, jump on line and do a little research.

Common sense reigns supreme.  A friend of mine once cooked the Thanksgiving turkey the night before and then went to bed with the turkey sitting on the counter.  Luckily, we found out about it before the meal.  She was the only one who ate the turkey and the only one who got sick.  Duh.  Her "reasoning" was that the  bird was cooked and if it was cooked it couldn't spoil  ::)

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 02:12:56 PM »
To help in preventing bacteria growth I add 1 tablespoon of Tender Quick to each gallon of brine.
It helps inhibits bacterial activity, which is especially important when smoking.
Poultry, with all its nooks and crannies, can be in the danger zone (between 40-140°F) for an extended period.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »
The Samonella in poultry can multiply very fast at danger zone temps due to being located through the entire muscle and the high moisture content of the meat.

Quality meat when handled/prepared properly can be eaten raw. Poultry are natural carriers and can contain nasties even if handled properly.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 05:56:42 PM »
Are there any ServSafe-certified members who would like to comment?  Sometimes I read a lot of "here's what I do..." or "I think..." replies but no one has said, "I'm ServSafe-certified.  ServSafe guidelines say..."
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Hub

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 09:15:16 AM »
Good point, pmillen.  I went looking for their guidelines but ran straight into what amounts to more of a sales pitch for their program.  They've bundled their stuff and guard it closely, building a franchise.

https://www.servsafe.com/home

Maybe we have a member who has been through the training and will share . . .

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Hub

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 09:18:07 AM »
Here are the USDA bits from another post:

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=855.0
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 10:42:29 AM »
In my profession I get called to go into different restaurant kitchens on occasion to inspect their malfunctioning gas appliance or check for a gas leak. I can tell you that many of these places would make you feel ill if you saw their kitchen's! There is a reason that they are hidden from public view and many have Servsafe certifications hung on the wall :o

With a kitchen that filthy I doubt that their food handling procedures are any better Servsafe Certified or not. Some of their cooking equipment like fryers and grills are just plain nasty. When you open up the doors on the equipment to service it you can find years and years of un cleaned grease and food. And these are places that have a "A" rating from food inspectors. Obviously never opened by the inspectors so no need to clean it I guess ::)

Next time you go out to your favorite restaurant ask them if you can get a peek in their kitchen. See what their reaction is. You will find very few will actually let you look. Then check for their Servsafe certifications on the wall. There are many restaurants who utilize this program but how many actually follow the guidelines and training?

I too would like to hear a Servsafe Certified opinion about this subject but I would think that their guidelines would be very close to the standards the government uses.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 05:14:23 PM »
Muebe brings up a good point about Salmonella and moist environments, so please let me clarify a misconception about the use of cures, especially in a poultry brine.

Nitrate/Nitrite Curing salts do NOT kill all bacteria!!!

They kill spoilage bacteria (bacillus) and prevent botulism by killing C. Botulinum. However, they have NOT been shown to directly kill Salmonella or E. Coli, both of which are Faculative Anaerobes. You need heat or certain acidic environments for these bacteria to be destroyed.

Now to be clear, I'm NOT saying don't use cures in your poultry brine. That's perfectly fine because it DOES offer safety benefits.  I'm just saying it doesn't take care of the Salmonella.

Like Hub says, "Common Sense Reigns Supreme," so PLEASE cook your poultry in a timely manner. The last thing any of us wants is for someone to get sick.

Hope this makes sense.

Cliff
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68