Author Topic: Freezing Meat / Steaks  (Read 18115 times)

Offline MSP

Freezing Meat / Steaks
« Reply #-1 on: May 25, 2013, 07:42:17 AM »
Were I live the best cut of meat / steaks comes from SAMS CLUB. In my expierence they really do have some great cuts of meat

The problem for me is I have to buy in bulk.

Now I personally don't like to freeze a steak...because In my opinion I can tell a difference from taking a great steak home from the grocery store and cooking it....vs....taking a great steak home and freezing it in the freezer and then defrosting and cooking it weeks later.

I have noticed the above with my burgers as well it seems that me pre made patty burgers that I make and freeze and then cook doesn't taste as good and my guests that I cook for said the same thing.

Now that being said is all of this IN MY HEAD or is there really a difference in taste when freezing....OR...maybe I am not storing / freezing my steaks correctly.

Is there a better method to freezing meat that helps it keep its fresh flavor?

Also whats the best way to keep from having Freezer burn? I have noticed my bright RED steaks sometimes will come out of the freezer slightly brown and tan...which scares me from a quality standpoint?

Im still a newbie with this stuff I have only been reading / cooking seriously for about 2 years now so any help / advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
Re: Freezing Meat / Steaks
« on: May 25, 2013, 08:29:41 AM »

Now that being said is all of this IN MY HEAD or is there really a difference in taste when freezing....OR...maybe I am not storing / freezing my steaks correctly.

Is there a better method to freezing meat that helps it keep its fresh flavor?

Thanks
Air causes freezer burn. The best way to prevent this is to freeze your meat with a vacuum sealer, such as the Foodsaver brand. There are others, but Foodsaver is the most popular. I have grilled steaks that were vacuum sealed and frozen for three years  :o and they tasted just as good as the day I cut them!

The only drawback to freezing meat, in my opinion, is thawing the meat improperly, which allows the meat to lose moisture. I usually defrost the steak, depending on it's size, about 30-45 minutes before cooking it. I place the vacuum sealed steak into a container of ice water, changing the ice out a couple of times, if needed.

The FOODSAVER
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:14:33 AM by Rummm »
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline Pappymn

Freezing Meat / Steaks
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »
Thanks Rummm. Really need to get a vac sealer.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline MSP

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »
Is the browning of the meat freezer burn?

Is it still safe to eat?

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »
Is the browning of the meat freezer burn?

Is it still safe to eat?

Yes the brown is part of the freezer burn. I would cut it off, if you can. Won't hurt you, but won't taste good either.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
A vacuum sealer will pay for itself 10 fold after all the money you save buying in bulk.

As Rummm stated the air causes freezer burn. Also the modern frostless freezer does contribute to this problem also with it's defrosting cycle. This temporary warming cycle can cause more water crystals to form in the meat due to warming and re-freezing. These crystals form and expand breaking the molecular structure of the meat contributing to freezer burn.

Although a non frostless freezer might be annoying with the frost build-up it is better for meat storage because of it's more constant temperature IMHO.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Freezing Meat / Steaks
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 10:42:45 AM »
A vacuum sealer will pay for itself 10 fold after all the money you save buying in bulk.

As Rummm stated the air causes freezer burn. Also the modern frostless freezer does contribute to this problem also with it's defrosting cycle. This temporary warming cycle can cause more water crystals to form in the meat due to warming and re-freezing. These crystals form and expand breaking the molecular structure of the meat contributing to freezer burn.

Although a non frostless freezer might be annoying with the frost build-up it is better for meat storage because of it's more constant temperature IMHO.

Looking at foodsaver. Any real gain in functionality going with their higher end model verses the lower end?

You are correct on the freezer info.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »
I do not like the newer stand up models that have automatic bag detection. I wasted more bags with that and Foodsaver wasn't very helpful with the situation, so it now resides in the vacant lot beside my house. I went back with my older V2450 and have been happy ever since.

Offline Pappymn

Freezing Meat / Steaks
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 11:05:55 AM »
Thanks Rummm. Any other model numbers that people like?
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 11:14:13 AM »
Thanks Rummm. Any other model numbers that people like?

I have two FoodSavers, the last one I got was an earlier version of this one and it does a great job. I like to get the rolls so I can make bags whatever size I need. When I smoke ribs for the two of us I always do at least two slabs and I can make a long bag and seal it up for the freezer. I can take it out and thaw it and put it on the grill to heat back up and it tastes like it just came off the smoker.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_369453_-1__?N=903862958&Ntt=foodsaver&Ntk=All
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 11:26:24 AM »
I have the FoodSaver® V3840, it works well

Have also use FoodSaver® V2040, for me not as much vacuum as above.

A person really needs to decide what they want the sealer to do before they buy.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »
I have the V3460. Works great for me. There is a little wasted bag space but seals really well. Has a moist/dry setting and a delicate setting. It stores a bag roll in the unit with a cutter. This makes it easy to unroll the size you need and then slide the built-in cutter to cut the bag.

After several years of continuous use I have had no problems. Works well with those Weston bags that are always discounted on Amazon too.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Freezing Meat / Steaks
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 12:33:21 PM »
Seems to be a significant love/hate relationship with the upright Foodsaver models. Reviews are all over the place.  Hate that.

Sounds like reliability is an issue too......ugh
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RAD

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 01:24:04 PM »
I do not like the newer stand up models that have automatic bag detection. I wasted more bags with that and Foodsaver wasn't very helpful with the situation, so it now resides in the vacant lot beside my house. I went back with my older V2450 and have been happy ever since.

I have to agree with this statement. The v3840 is my first and current foodsaver and I agree with the comment that it wastes material because of where it chooses to put the seal and it doesn’t always sense the bag. But I also agree that it has paid for itself because I too do much of my meat shopping at Sams Club and grab their sales when I can.
Love to cook and eat

Offline MSP

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 03:15:43 PM »
Thanks for the replys guy.

So am I understanding TwoPockets correctly in I could cook some ribs until they are done....THEN seal them and put them in the freezer and they would be OK to eat months later?

All you have to do is reheat on the grill is that correct?