Author Topic: Buying meat...beef pork poultry ect...  (Read 2116 times)

Offline perferd

Buying meat...beef pork poultry ect...
« Reply #-1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:26:17 PM »
Sad to say but I have never purchased meat outside of buying prepackaged ground beef for helper or prepackaged chicken breasts. These were always purchased from the local grocery store which I dont know is either good or bad. I have looked up butcher shops near me but cant really find anything besides meat markets that sell all prepackaged meats which are either boxed up or shrink wrapped?

Is there a diff between buying meats at the meat counter of my grocery store and a true butcher shop? Is all the prepackaged stuff there the same as I would buy at the butcher shop that I pick and he wraps up in the brown paper bag?

I know I am sheltered living with 3 little girls and a wife who is a veggy lol...

Thanks

Semper Fi.
Once a Marine always a Marine
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
Re: Buying meat...beef pork poultry ect...
« on: June 07, 2013, 09:48:53 PM »
Glad you asked!

Yes there is a difference in the meat and the service. Most times, but not always*, the meat is fresher and of a better quality.

The person owning the Mom & Pop Butcher Shop or small grocery store has a vested interest in the community and needs your loyalty to stay in business. Whereas a chain grocery is an arm of a larger conglomerate and only looking at the bottom line and ignoring quality to achieve this.

In this day and age the large majority of the poultry and meat in supermarkets has been enhanced with a saline solution of up to 20%, which supposedly adds "flavor" but also adds weight and shelf life to the product. You won't find this in your butcher shops. Super stores like Walmart and Target not only have enhanced meat, but also their product is packaged with a whiff of carbon dioxide to keep the meat looking fresher for up to three weeks or more!! Yes, that's true.

Your butcher shop will have knowledgeable personnel behind the counter vs. the large chain supermarket or box store.

* unfortunately there are exceptions and you will need to shop for yourself to see the difference
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 01:22:22 AM »
Hey Rummm I thought it was carbon monoxide that they used to keep the meat red? Well you can tell that they do this. Just look at the bottom of the steak when you pull it out of the package. The bottom will be grey in color due to no carbon monoxide/dioxide exposure and the rest will still be red.

It is really sad the the small butcher shops are disappearing. People tend to choose convenience over quality nowadays. Now with super Wally Marts around they can go to one store for almost all their shopping needs. I still shop at Stater Bros. because they have butchers on site and will cut something for you if they do not have any out on display. I also like Costco for my meats.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 02:51:00 AM »
I am really lucky I live about 3 minutes from my local butcher. I pay a little more there but I get quality meat; butchered from local stock. He has the best brats, at least 12 different styles, and great bacon, delicious smoked hams, ring bologna, old fashioned bung bologna and even beef bacon. I really have no incentive to process any of my own since his is so good. Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 05:55:54 AM »
Hey Rummm I thought it was carbon monoxide that they used to keep the meat red?

Correct it is carbon monoxide that keeps meat RED
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:59:29 AM by Rummm »
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »
I am really lucky I live about 3 minutes from my local butcher. I pay a little more there but I get quality meat; butchered from local stock. He has the best brats, at least 12 different styles, and great bacon, delicious smoked hams, ring bologna, old fashioned bung bologna and even beef bacon. I really have no incentive to process any of my own since his is so good. Smokin Don

You are a lucky man SD. I buy some stuff at a local butcher that I like a lot. But they are not price competitive on steaks, ribs, and poultry. I buy those at Costco. Butcher has great ham, brats, bacon and others
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 11:38:25 AM »
If y'all ever pass through central Georgia around the Macon area, specifically Byron and Warner Robbins, check with Jaxon because he has the BEST local butcher shop I have ever seen.  It would be worth the side trip time to visit it and buy some quality meat.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 11:47:42 AM »
If y'all ever pass through central Georgia around the Macon area, specifically Byron and Warner Robbins, check with Jaxon because he has the BEST local butcher shop I have ever seen.  It would be worth the side trip time to visit it and buy some quality meat.  Dee

Saw dust on the floor?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
Yep.  It helps soak of the blood so y'all don't slip, fall, and sue. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers