Author Topic: Photography Virgin  (Read 12329 times)

Offline RickB

Photography Virgin
« Reply #-1 on: June 18, 2013, 08:13:56 PM »
Ok I will admit I am photography virgin. So with that being said I need a little advice. I am just starting out with a DSLR and I would like advice at this point for food photography. The problem I always had with point and shoots was depth of field. All my close ups had tunnel vision so to speak. With PAS cameras you could usually only change one or two of the main parameters in photography. Those being shutter speed, f-stop and ISO. This is what I know.

Shutter Speed.  The longer the the shutter is open the more light to the picture. Down side is the longer the shutter is open the more possibility of blur.

F-Stop. The larger the F-Stop the greater the depth of field. Down side the larger the F-Stop the more light required.

ISO. The lower the ISO the sharper the image. The down side, the lower the ISO the more light required.

Seems it’s all about light. With that being said I tried a few pics at the extremes with a tripod. While the result was perfect,  the need of a tripod was limiting. I took this pic with a ISO of 200, F-stop of 22 and a 30 second shutter speed. Great DOF which is what I am looking for. Need some advice for hand held pics.  Thanks

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:17:52 PM by RickB »

Offline TwoPockets

Re: Photography Virgin
« on: June 18, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »
Point and shoot does enough for me, but I am sure Dee will be along shortly to give you instructions on the finer points of food photography.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »
I'm sorry that I'm too busy right now to give professional advice on something this simple.  I'll leave it to the less talented to help Rick. :)  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 08:30:35 PM »
If Mr. Rick speaks I am sticking around to find out the answer ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline RickB

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
I'm sorry that I'm too busy right now to give professional advice on something this simple.  I'll leave it to the less talented to help Rick. :)  Dee

Come on Dee I told ya I dont know sqwat. Give me a break.  :D  We all know you are the Yoda of photography around here!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:48:02 PM by RickB »

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 10:43:27 PM »
Rick you have the right idea on the camera settings and that is a beautiful shot. When I shoot my food photos I don't use a tripod and I want to shoot fast so I can eat the food while it's hot. I shoot all of mine in the macro (close up) mode. This gives me a fast shutter speed and a lower fstop for a shallow DOF. Food on a plate to me does not need a deep DOF. In macro mode the camera decides the settings, it is better than I am at it. The fast shutter speed lets you shoot hand held with good results.

I usually shoot at least 3 photos sometimes changing the shooting angle some. Then I pick the best of the 3.

I do some post processing of all my photos in Photoshop Elements, a cheap version of Photoshop. I do a lighting levels adjustment and an unsharp mask. Your camera will be better than mine and might not need the post processing.

Below is a shot I just did, shot in macro mode, and the camera chose ISO 200, exposer time 1/60 second, at f8.

Original out of the camera

After a levels adjustment and an unsharp mask

Hope this helps, Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 11:24:21 AM »
Rick, what lens are you shooting with?

I guessing you're shooting in the 100mm range...

When you go with a longer focal range, your depth of field is going to decrease, and you're really going to see a point of diminishing returns above f14

So when you say you want greater depth of field, are you saying you want all the food to be in focus?

You will need a wider angle lens for this to happen.

Help me figure out where you want to be and I'll get you there!

Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline RickB

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »
Rick, what lens are you shooting with?

I guessing you're shooting in the 100mm range...

When you go with a longer focal range, your depth of field is going to decrease, and you're really going to see a point of diminishing returns above f14

So when you say you want greater depth of field, are you saying you want all the food to be in focus?

You will need a wider angle lens for this to happen.

Help me figure out where you want to be and I'll get you there!

The Canon SL1 came with a 18-55 and a 55-250. The wife wanted a smaller lense so I bought a 40mm pancake. All are auto focus and image stabilized. The pics were taken with the 18-55.hope this helps.

Offline RickB

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 06:33:49 PM »
Rick you have the right idea on the camera settings and that is a beautiful shot. When I shoot my food photos I don't use a tripod and I want to shoot fast so I can eat the food while it's hot. I shoot all of mine in the macro (close up) mode. This gives me a fast shutter speed and a lower fstop for a shallow DOF. Food on a plate to me does not need a deep DOF. In macro mode the camera decides the settings, it is better than I am at it. The fast shutter speed lets you shoot hand held with good results.

I usually shoot at least 3 photos sometimes changing the shooting angle some. Then I pick the best of the 3.

I do some post processing of all my photos in Photoshop Elements, a cheap version of Photoshop. I do a lighting levels adjustment and an unsharp mask. Your camera will be better than mine and might not need the post processing.

Below is a shot I just did, shot in macro mode, and the camera chose ISO 200, exposer time 1/60 second, at f8.

Original out of the camera

After a levels adjustment and an unsharp mask

Hope this helps, Don

Thanks Don I will try those settings.