Author Topic: Tri Tip  (Read 13858 times)

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
Tri Tip
« Reply #-1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:45:05 PM »
So why is it that the midwest (home to awesome BEEF) is sparse at best with Tri Tip??? No one  has heard of it except a good butcher but not the norm in our local shops??? Why?
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Tri Tip
« on: June 24, 2013, 11:20:41 PM »
There are only two per cow and is not a common cut found in the Midwest. Out here in California you can find Tri-tip at practically every store. It is a very popular cut of beef here. I grew up eating it ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:57:14 PM »
Chris,

I'm not sure. I asked my favorite butcher about it and he said if I give him a call a couple days ahead of time, he'll get them for me. I asked why if they are so popular on the left coast, we don't have them at the markets here. He couldn't tell me - just said they haven't caught on. Not a great answer, but the best he could come up with...  :-\ Some of the Costco's carry them in this area (but not the one closest to me - of course...  ::) )

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:58:18 AM »
I lost my Costco virginity yesterday when I finally went in and signed up using the Father's Day gift from my youngest daughter. Very impressive place.  As far as tri tips go, they had them here in Augusta, GA for $7.49/lb.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 08:06:51 AM »
Finding Beef Tri-Tip At The Store

PRINT THIS OUT AND TAKE IT WITH YOU

If the meat manager or meat cutter at your store is not sure what Tri-Tip is, tell them this:

"Tri-tip is sometimes called the triangle roast.  According to the Uniform Retail Meat Identity Standards (the national standardization guidelines), Tri-Tip's UPC number is 1429 and Tri-Tip's IMPS/NAMP code is 185C.  Please look this information up if you're not familiar with it and cut me -- or order me -- a Tri-Tip roast.  Thank you!"

It comes from the Bottom Sirloin, which has three muscles...1)Ball Tip 2) Flap Meat and 3) the Tri-Tip. DO NOT let them sell you Sirloin Tip or London Broil, which are both from the Round, not the Sirloin. Or any other cut of meat...a Tri-Tip is a Tri-Tip.

All they have to do is call their supplier and mention the above numbers to get the Tri-Tip. A little effort with the phone is a lot better than remaining ignorant with every customer that may request a Tri-Tip.
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:39:13 AM »
I posted my experiences in the thread, "Ordering Beef Tri-Tip In the Store" before reading this thread where it rightfully should have been posted.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:26:25 AM »
There are only two per cow and is not a common cut found in the Midwest. Out here in California you can find Tri-tip at practically every store. It is a very popular cut of beef here. I grew up eating it ;)

I grew up eating them here too.  tri's are like filets out here.  if you cook them and slice them right.  oh ya.  nothing better.  I myself am not a fan of the trisket.  I cook my tri's to 130° and then sliced against the grain.  great, now I have to go to Costco and get a couple for tonight.

one last tip:  if you haven't marinated a tri in tim's M-3 for 12 - 24 hours you haven't lived.  this stuff on tri is out of this world. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »

I grew up eating them here too.  tri's are like filets out here.  if you cook them and slice them right.  oh ya.  nothing better.  I myself am not a fan of the trisket.  I cook my tri's to 130° and then sliced against the grain.  great, now I have to go to Costco and get a couple for tonight.

one last tip:  if you haven't marinated a tri in tim's M-3 for 12 - 24 hours you haven't lived.  this stuff on tri is out of this world.

Sparky have you actually tried a trisket?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »
 Rummm , thanks for the explanation,! CaptJack thanks for the pic! Stupid why we dont have but great that I have an awesome butcher.
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
Rummm , thanks for the explanation,! CaptJack thanks for the pic! Stupid why we dont have but great that I have an awesome butcher.

Next time you cook some, take a few slices to your butcher :)
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
Tri Tip
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »
I just recently found a butcher here that sells them.. Me and him are buddy's now. Maybe I will cook one and bring it in for him.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM