Author Topic: Ordering Beef Tri-Tip at the store  (Read 14912 times)

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
Ordering Beef Tri-Tip at the store
« Reply #-1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:13:03 AM »
PRINT THIS OUT AND TAKE IT WITH YOU

If the meat manager or meat cutter at your store is not sure what Tri-Tip is, tell them this:

"Tri-tip is sometimes called the triangle roast.  According to the Uniform Retail Meat Identity Standards (the national standardization guidelines), Tri-Tip's UPC number is 1429 and Tri-Tip's IMPS/NAMP code is 185C.  Please look this information up if you're not familiar with it and cut me -- or order me -- a Tri-Tip roast.  Thank you!"

It comes from the Bottom Sirloin, which has three muscles...1)Ball Tip 2) Flap Meat and 3) the Tri-Tip. DO NOT let them sell you Sirloin Tip or London Broil, which are both from the Round, not the Sirloin. Or any other cut of meat...a Tri-Tip is a Tri-Tip.

All they have to do is call their supplier and mention the above numbers to get the Tri-Tip. A little effort with the phone is a lot better than remaining ignorant with every customer that may request a Tri-Tip.
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Re: Ordering Beef Tri-Tip at the store
« on: June 25, 2013, 10:35:34 AM »
I've asked a couple of chain markets in Omaha for tri-tip.  They both gave the same reply, "We've had them before and they didn't sell."  They say they have to order a case and they lose money on them.

I've been thinking of going to one of the many family owned butcher shops where you can still buy neck bones, tongue, oxtails, calves liver and the other less popular items.  I just haven't gotten around to it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 10:39:29 AM »
I've asked a couple of chain markets in Omaha for tri-tip.  They both gave the same reply, "We've had them before and they didn't sell."  They say they have to order a case and they lose money on them.

Any other BBQ buddy's you can split a case with? Probably get a better price, too.

Offline pmillen

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 11:02:48 AM »
No BBQ buddies.  All buddies are hunters, motorheads or bicyclists.  I suppose I could post something at church.  I also think about vacuum packing and freezing them.  But one of the local family owned butcher shops or Costco is easier.  I just haven't gotten around to it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »

One of the lamest and laziest excuses out there  >:( A little merchandising and they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

Offline pmillen

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »
They're nice old guys that I suspect are remnants from the Omaha packing houses that closed.  Their steels look just like mine and their knife skills haven't diminished.  But they also appear to be more interested in chatting with the customers than merchandising.  I doubt that they feel in charge.  The decisions are probably made by someone who is trying to climb higher on the management ladder and whose measurements don't encourage risk. 

So the guys behind the counter are just sorta' marking time until they retire.  They always make me smile. 
Paul

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »
They're nice old guys that I suspect are remnants from the Omaha packing houses that closed.  Their steels look just like mine and their knife skills haven't diminished.  But they also appear to be more interested in chatting with the customers than merchandising.  I doubt that they feel in charge.  The decisions are probably made by someone who is trying to climb higher on the management ladder and whose measurements don't encourage risk. 

So the guys behind the counter are just sorta' marking time until they retire.  They always make me smile.

Yeah, gotta give them credit for that  ;)

Offline pavlaugh

• Houston, TX
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 04:18:03 PM »
Thanks for the info in the OP!  Being from Texas, I had never heard of Tri Tip before buying a Pit Barrel Cooker and watching their videos.  It looked so good, I had to see if I could find it.  Before I saw this thread, I asked the local supermarket butcher for Tri Tip.  The first guy didn't know what that was.  The second guy gave me this (pics below), saying it would have a different name on the label (but it was Tri Tip).  Is there any way to tell from the package?

Thanks!

Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Rummm

• Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 04:31:12 PM »
Well, the Tri-Tip is part of the Bottom Sirloin, as is "Ball Tip" and "Flap Meat". Sirloin Steak Petite is cut from the Ball Tip, but that little cut does appear to be a small, trimmed Tri-Tip. You may have lucked out  ;)

Offline pavlaugh

• Houston, TX
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »
@Rummm & CaptJack, thank you both.  I'll need to check out the H.E.B.
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline pavlaugh

• Houston, TX
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »
Awesome.  Is Tri-Tip normally about 4-5 lbs?   I obviously didn't know what I was asking for...   :D
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 01:06:31 AM »
Same here in New Braunfels. HEB does not carry them at their small store near my home. However, we have a nice little meat/grocery store nearby that carries trays of Tri Tip. It is $5.79 per lb. Just like Jack said they run, 2 1/2 to a little over 3 lbs.

We love Tri Tip so much we always have one in the freezer now just for when we get the craving. We prefer to smoke this meat at 250 degrees until the internal temperature hit 130 degrees when it is rare to medium rare. it is very tender and juicy. This usually takes about 1 1/2 hours give or take 10 minutes.

It is just like having a steak dinner.

Great food!

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline RAD

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 09:11:31 AM »
I've only found the Tri at Publix and at $6.99/lb I thought it was a bit pricy. Great cut of meat and real tasty.
Love to cook and eat