Author Topic: Tailgating / camping and etc  (Read 14013 times)

Offline MSP

Tailgating / camping and etc
« Reply #-1 on: August 23, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »
I was thinking in a tailgating or campout atmosphere could you keep boiling water on the side and dip your tons or utensils in them each time after use to keep them safe and clean.

For example you use tongs to put raw chicken on grill.

You then put the tongs in boiling water for say 5 seconds.

Use same tongs to flip chicken...put the same tongs back in boiling water for 5 seconds.

The use tongs to remove cooked chicken off the grill.

Would this be safe if you put them in the boiling water each time to sanitize?

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Re: Tailgating / camping and etc
« on: August 23, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »
It's funny you should mention this. On the rare occasions when I happen to be at a base in Viet Nam like Quang Tri and I went to the mess hall to eat, you had to go through this process every time. To get your food, you picked up a steel tray. After you fed yourself, you walked down a line of trash cans. The first trash can you dumped all of your left overs and scraped them off of the steel tray. Then you went to the next trash can and it was filled with the first rinse of boiling water. You dipped your tray into that. Then you went to the next trash can with filled also with boiling water and again you dipped your tray into that as well. When this was completed, you set the tray on top of other damp trays to be used again.

Funny how things stick in your memory when they are triggered by something that someone says.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 05:29:35 PM »
I was thinking in a tailgating or campout atmosphere could you keep boiling water on the side and dip your tons or utensils in them each time after use to keep them safe and clean.

Use same tongs to flip chicken...put the same tongs back in boiling water for 5 seconds.

If boiling water not feasible other options
Dip in bleach solution, after 30-60 sec. Wipe with towel.
Stick tongs in fire for few seconds.
Wipe with towel & discard towel.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline MSP

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »

If boiling water not feasible other options
Dip in bleach solution, after 30-60 sec. Wipe with towel.
Stick tongs in fire for few seconds.
Wipe with towel & discard towel.

Buy boiling water would work...Am I right...???

Offline pz

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 08:11:45 PM »
Buy boiling water would work...Am I right...???

To sanitize, yes, but sterilize not necessarily.  Sanitization means to kill almost everything whereas sterilization means to kill everything.  At work we use an autoclave to sterilize our instruments and media - an autoclave is a machine that steam sterilizes the contents under pressure at a temperature of 121C (around 250F, well above the boiling point of water)

For me personally, sanitication is plenty good enough for my cooking utensils, and a dip in boiling water is even more than I use.  If you're concerned, keep the water boiling and then keep the working end of the utensil submerged between uses.

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »
Cooking utensils don't have to be sterile, just clean. Don't ever think your restaurant eating utensils are sterile---just hope they are semi clean.

I am still OK for the 5 second rule on the floor for steak and cookies!!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 10:47:59 PM »
I do a lot of tailgating & I buy the cheapo cooking utensils for placing food on the grill & good ones for removing cooked food. I bring about five or more of everything to the tailgate. When I am done I place them in a container to be cleaned at home. One of my concerns with boiling water is a football that is being tossed in the parking lots sending the water flying.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 10:52:31 PM »
It's funny you should mention this. On the rare occasions when I happen to be at a base in Viet Nam like Quang Tri and I went to the mess hall to eat, you had to go through this process every time. To get your food, you picked up a steel tray. After you fed yourself, you walked down a line of trash cans. The first trash can you dumped all of your left overs and scraped them off of the steel tray. Then you went to the next trash can and it was filled with the first rinse of boiling water. You dipped your tray into that. Then you went to the next trash can with filled also with boiling water and again you dipped your tray into that as well. When this was completed, you set the tray on top of other damp trays to be used again.

Funny how things stick in your memory when they are triggered by something that someone says.

Ed

Ed,
We did the same thing when I first joined the Army in the early 80's, you're comments brought those memories back for me as well, Thanks for your service in country. You guy's didn't get the respect you deserved on returning home.

Robert

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 11:55:39 AM »
It's funny you should mention this. On the rare occasions when I happen to be at a base in Viet Nam like Quang Tri and I went to the mess hall to eat, you had to go through this process every time.
Ed

Small world Ed.  When I was in the NAVY in 1972 we sat on the gun line for six months 2 miles off the coast of Quang Tri supporting our ground troops with our two twin 5"/38 gun mounts.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Fiery Kev

• Fiery food is the best food!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
Was just browsing and saw this thread and wanted to add a few things.

First, as MJSBBQ said, I can vouch for the fact that when you eat out your utensils, plates, etc are sanitized not ever sterilized.

Second, the risk of food poisoning if you have tongs with a little raw chicken juice from fresh properly stored chicken on them and touch cooked chicken is relatively low. That's not to say you should throw caution to the wind and start serving chicken tartare, but just useful to keep the worrying in perspective, especially if you're not serving the elderly, very young, or otherwise immunocompromised. If you don't know, better safe than sorry I always say.

That said if you do want to makes sure you are properly sanitizing and crossing all the Ts and dotting all the I's based on typical health department standards (varies by city/state), simply placing in boiling water for 5 seconds is not adequate. Practically speaking it's likely more than enough, but wouldn't be considered so by a health inspector.

Whether using chemical sanitizer or high-temp method, you should always clean whatever it is you want to sanitize first. All the potential bacteria don't necessarily instantly die on contact with boiling water or chemical solution. Especially if they're hiding inside chicken bits or globs of marinade and not just on the surface on your tongs. Generally local health departments require that dishwashers that sanitize via high-heat must hold temp above 180 for at least 30 seconds. Chemical sanitizers when used at food service acceptable concentrations similarly require at least a minute to soak and then are required to be air dried. Higher concentrations might be quicker, but would no longer be considered food service safe and from a health department standpoint it's a no-no.

The fact that you're aware of the risks means you're probably going to be just fine as I am sure you're handling the chicken appropriately to mitigate the risks. Generally speaking health code rules go well above and beyond reasonable precautions because they are designed to get the risk as close to zero as possible. Since restaurants serve such a large and diverse group of diners even what would for most be perhaps a "minor" contamination issue/risk would be more likely to have potentially serious or fatal consequences if it got repeated enough times.

The best option though I'd say would just be to maintain a pair of "raw tongs" and a pair of "cooked tongs". If you can't do that then just make sure theres no visible debris on tongs before you dip them in boiling water.

-Kev

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 02:42:53 AM »
Thanks for the info Kev,appreciated.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.